• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

Ridiculous. We keep worthless players like Meech and Abs but we wont re-sign a guy who did everything he could to play again in a Wings uniform. Disgusting.

Abdelkader useless? Seriously? I mean really????

And now we get word that it's likely we'll re-sign Maltby. So, just to make things clear, we're letting walk a clutch, solid d-man but re-signing guys who will not help the team out one BIT next year in Maltby, Abs, and Meech.

Holland has finally lost it.

No, he hasn't lost anything.

EDIT: You are just showing a flair for the overdramatic right now. Can definitely show displeasure for possibly not re-signing Lilja but he hasn't lost squat and has always been one of the best GMs in the league - evidenced many times by sources across the NHL, not just Red Wing homer fans.

Come on people!!!

You guys seriously think that Lija not re-signing has anything to do with Maltby?

It would be more fair to assume that Holland has plans to UPGRADE the numer 5/6 spot on defense.

^ THIS. Look, I want to re-sign Lilja like pretty much everybody else in here. But the possible re-signing of Maltby (and whose to say it isn't just graffiti on the wall to be nice to him because he's played with the Wings for so long - I really don't think he'll be re-signed) and the possible departure of Lilja are completely independent on each other, they aren't correlated/related in any way, shape, or form.

EDIT: And it is possible that Lilja wanted to look for another opportunity elsewhere outside of Detroit initially from minute one. That'd be Lilja's deal, not Holland's. There are conflicting stories here between his agent and Holland or faulty reporting of the happenings, so it is pre-mature to yell out "MANGAMENT STINKS THE BIG ONE HERE XO#@$#@T^#%YRE111353454!!!!!!"

2nd EDIT: Just saw from another source that there is a good chance that Maltby will be re-signed, so I stand corrected on that specific piece above.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 30 June 2010 - 09:39 AM.

#22 hellsson

hellsson

Ouch!!

• 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Am I thinking of a different player here??? Isn't Lilja the same player that has sat on the injured list much of his carrier? Isn't it kind of risky to pay big bucks for a guy that is prone to long term injuries?? He's good don't get me wrong, but in today's cap era I think you can get a more durable player for the same cost as what he will want to sign for that will give you the same performance.

Edited by hellsson, 30 June 2010 - 08:20 AM.

#23 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

You can deduce from the news article on detnews that Kenny basically chose Maltby over Lilja.

Sigh... I don't know...

And if that's true...@#$% Holland.

I've defended most of Holland's choices these past few seasons because there's a reason he's a GM and I'm not. But this is just asinine.

Watch for our PK to be one of the, if not the worst in the league this next season. McCrimmon - Lilja = a recipe for disaster. We've already seen this.

Edicius' world would come crashing down. That'd mean lots of vodka though. ;)

Agreed. I'm pissed at Holland.

Lils is no Norris candidate, but he's been an integral part of our defense. Hell, look at the Wings' record this past season AFTER he returned. It was a HUGE difference. Not to mention that he was statistically the best shot blocker on the team in the regular season and postseason by a mile.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#24 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

And if that's true...@#$% Holland.

I've defended most of Holland's choices these past few seasons because there's a reason he's a GM and I'm not. But this is just asinine.

Watch for our PK to be one of the, if not the worst in the league this next season. McCrimmon - Lilja = a recipe for disaster. We've already seen this.

Agreed. I'm pissed at Holland.

Lils is no Norris candidate, but he's been an integral part of our defense. Hell, look at the Wings' record this past season AFTER he returned. It was a HUGE difference. Not to mention that he was statistically the best shot blocker on the team in the regular season and postseason by a mile.

Lilja could have been looking at opportunities elsewhere from the start. It's too early to blame management right now.

EDIT: And for the record, I will jump through my computer and strangle anybody who labels me a management or Holland slappy.

I'll be disappointed if Lilja goes.

It irritates the s**t out of me though to basically claim Holland the anti-Christ pre-maturely (or anybody for that matter given the proper sitaution) because of player bias or without knowing the entire context of the situation

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 30 June 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#25 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

You guys actually take the agent's word over Hollands?

Holland already stated that he offered Lilja a deal, but Lilja wanted more and a bigger role on a team.

Lil's agent is just playing the game, just like Eva said.

#26 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Am I thinking of a different player here??? Isn't Lilja the same player that has sat on the injured list much of his carrier? Isn't it kind of risky to pay big bucks for a guy that is prone to long term injuries?? He's good don't get me wrong, but in today's cap era I think you can get a more durable player for the same cost as what he will want to sign for that will give you the same performance.

You must be mistaken. Before the concussion, Lilja missed a total of five games with the Wings due to injury/illness: 2 due to a back injury, 1 due to the flu and 2 due to an appendectomy. Any other games not played before the concussion were as a healthy scratch.

Holland already stated that he offered Lilja a deal, but Lilja wanted more and a bigger role on a team.

Eh, fair point, I'll accept that.

But honestly, Lilja deserves a bigger role on the team given his play. I was still baffled when Babcock scratched him in favor of Lebda at one point in the playoffs.

ABV_sig.png

#27 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

I agree Edicius, Lilja is good enough to be in the top 4 on some teams. And from the first story it looks like that's what he wants.

I'm not sure why Lilja was scratched for Lebda, could of been a nagging injury that wasn't reported though.

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

This.

If Holland says he made an offer months ago, he very likely did. I don't know that Lilja will be on the team or not, but this sounds more like posturing from the agent more than anything else.

#29 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

But honestly, Lilja deserves a bigger role on the team given his play. I was still baffled when Babcock scratched him in favor of Lebda at one point in the playoffs.

I agree, Lils deserves a bigger role, the problem is that he can't take that role from Lids, Raffy, Kronner, or Stuart. Therein may lie the real issue. Lilja will always (or at least for the foreseeable future) be at best the #5 defenseman. He may just want more than the Wings are in a position to give. Kenny said he made an offer, the agent said no offer was made, at this point I gotta believe Kenny that he made and offer and it just must not have been to Lils/his agent's liking. I wish they could re-sign him (and still hope they do) and don't think that Kenny is letting him just walk away without an offer when he said he made one.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#30 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

That "I think he has some hockey left in him." quote is very old. Let's not go jumping the gun.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#31 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

But honestly, Lilja deserves a bigger role on the team given his play.

Maybe, but the bottom line is he's not talented enough to crack Detroit's top 4, so if he wants an expanded role it will be with another team. Nothing wrong with that though, I wish him godspeed if he chooses to depart, which seems likely at this point.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#32 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

That "I think he has some hockey left in him." quote is very old. Let's not go jumping the gun.

This.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#33 hellsson

hellsson

Ouch!!

• 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

You must be mistaken. Before the concussion, Lilja missed a total of five games with the Wings due to injury/illness: 2 due to a back injury, 1 due to the flu and 2 due to an appendectomy. Any other games not played before the concussion were as a healthy scratch.

I stand corrected.
I still say he is not worth a serious cap hit when they have other options. Add that to the fact that I trust Holland to make responsible decisions with personnel and I say it's time to move on.

Edited by hellsson, 30 June 2010 - 09:24 AM.

#34 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

What will Maltby bring to the team. Nothing IMO I dont understand if they resign Matlby and let Lilja go what the thought process.

#35 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

What will Maltby bring to the team. Nothing IMO I dont understand if they resign Matlby and let Lilja go what the thought process.

I agree that Maltby is all but done. But I highly doubt if Maltby gets re-signed, it has any impact on Lilja's status whatsoever since Maltby would probably sign for peanuts (if he did). Add to that that one source from the agents says no deal was offered whatsoever, and another source quoting Holland saying that he did offer Lilja a contract and Lilja rejected, there's multiple sources that conflict. Lilja might have made up his mind right at the end of the season to want a more expanded role, whether it be with Detroit or elsewhere. That's his decision and more power to him to figure that out if that's the case. That's why it's a bit silly or at least pre-mautre to get all up in arms about management on this one.

#36 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Good luck Lilja if you are indeed gone. As for a replacement I have no issue with Janik filling his role.

#37 hellsson

hellsson

Ouch!!

• 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

Again, look at the cap hit.

Maltby = $88,333 (Last Contract)
Lilja = $1,250,000 (Last Contract)

Now personally I think it's time for Maltby to retire but he's still a consistent role player that is pretty cheap. It sounds like Lilja is asking for more money and I really don't think he's worth that much of a cap hit.

#38 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

You can deduce from the news article on detnews that Kenny basically chose Maltby over Lilja.

Sigh... I don't know...

Actually the article doesn't say that. It says Maltby is more likely to return. In addition to assuming they would demand the same salary and length and cap hit, Maltby's a forward and Lilija's a defenseman which means you have to factor who is their competition. You also have to assume their desire to stay is the same when actually Maltby would do anything to return and Lilja's talking about his role, not money. To say you can deduce we picked Malby over Lilja without considering any of those factors is just a stretch.

One other odd thing in this is just recently I was arguing against those who said Lilja sucks since the concussion that we shouldn't give up on him in his first year back. All of a sudden that issue seems to be gone. While I argued the keep him side, I'm not sure I agree it's actually not a concern at all either. You combine that with our incoming youth at D, his desire to be top 4 and get top four minutes and it makes a case we need to move on if that's what he wants.

Lils is no Norris candidate, but he's been an integral part of our defense. Hell, look at the Wings' record this past season AFTER he returned

Um...didn't we have a bunch of guys return during that period?
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#39 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Lets all go apes***! :lol: Maltby is coming back! :ph34r: Lilja is not coming back! :scared: God damn you Holland! :ranting: You're fired! :sly: The Wings are hiring Doug Maclean as your replacement! :o First order of business...Sign Zherdev, trade Datsyuk and Zetterberg for Nash. When are we getting rid of Maltby? What about Ritola? Lilja? Can we get Leino back? Sign Boogaard dammit! NOW! Why did we get rid of Kopecky? He won a Cup! I want to now lock myself in the bathroom and play flashlight wars with teletubbies! As God as my witness, I'll never watch hockey again! :lol:
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#40 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

As long as he doesn't go to Pittsburgh. If he goes to Pittsburgh, there's going to be a vodka shortage in the state of New Jersey.

Um...didn't we have a bunch of guys return during that period?

IIRC, most of our injured corps were back by then, even Franzen. Mind you, I might be creating a false causal relationship, but that's the way I saw it during the end of the season. We didn't seem to be stringing together consistent wins until Lilja was back. Take that as you will.

ABV_sig.png