93 replies to this topic

#41 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

I mean...

They need a solid third pair defenseman. Why not just try to keep Lilja? He's done a solid job.

On top of that, they want to re-sign Maltby?? Forget about the fact that he would be the 15th forward should they re-sign all their RFAs, which is likely, but I mean... Even if they traded away two of their younger forwards, how does Maltby make the team better in their place?

This loyalty thing has paid off at times in the past. Hopefully it won't bite Kenny in the end.

Lilja more than did his job, and that included trying to keep Ericsson from getting out of control. I really appreciate what Malts has done but if this really does mean Lilja's gone, that's just not thinking ahead. Bottom line, like others have intimated here, we don't have anybody of value to replace him with.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#42 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

Lilja more than did his job, and that included trying to keep Ericsson from getting out of control. I really appreciate what Malts has done but if this really does mean Lilja's gone, that's just not thinking ahead. Bottom line, like others have intimated here, we don't have anybody of value to replace him with.

Well, I was wrong to jump ahead and say Kenny basically chose Maltby over Lilja. My bad. At the same time I still think Kenny should find a way to keep Lilja. If that means they have to trade away someone like Drew Miller and or Mattias Ritola then ok, fine, do it. Gotta give up something.

Before the Drew Miller and or Ritola slappies come after me I have to say that I have nothing against Drew Miller. It's just that the bottom six is pretty clogged as it is. Even if those two are gone next year the Wings still have plenty of forwards to do a great job on the PK. Plus, Babs said that Abdelkader will be on the PK from day one. Filppula should be killing penalties as well as Pav and Z from time to time. Drew Miller is expendable at this point with everything considered.

#43 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

It's not just money that Lilja is looking for. He wants on oppurtunity to play in the top 4 and 20 minutes a game and the wings just can't offer him that playing time.

#44 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Ridiculous. We keep worthless players like Meech and Abs but we wont re-sign a guy who did everything he could to play again in a Wings uniform. Disgusting.

You think that Abs is worthless? Are you kidding?
Do or do not. There is no try

#45 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

And if that's true...@#$% Holland.

I've defended most of Holland's choices these past few seasons because there's a reason he's a GM and I'm not. But this is just asinine.

Watch for our PK to be one of the, if not the worst in the league this next season. McCrimmon - Lilja = a recipe for disaster. We've already seen this.

Agreed. I'm pissed at Holland.

Lils is no Norris candidate, but he's been an integral part of our defense. Hell, look at the Wings' record this past season AFTER he returned. It was a HUGE difference. Not to mention that he was statistically the best shot blocker on the team in the regular season and postseason by a mile.

Just plain stupid. Do you think maybe that our record after Lilja returned had a little bit to do with the return of Franzen?
Do or do not. There is no try

#46 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

I think it's funny that people who don't want to sign Savard because he had a concussion last year want to bring Lilja back.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#47 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

So because Lilja wants to walk and see what opportunity is out there for him to play more minutes, and Holland wants to keep his cap number reasonable, and we have Abdelkader (who is going to be great part of this team going forward), and possibly re-signing Maltby to a 2-WAY deal which sees him as the 15th forward if everyone re-signs.... this all means that Holland has lost it?

If anyone truly believes that then you are pretty much a 'tard.

Lilja isn't the answer, necessarily, he did do a good job on the defensive side, but we could get someone possibly younger that does the same thing. Or who knows, maybe Kindl will really open some eyes given the chance.

Just plain stupid. Do you think maybe that our record after Lilja returned had a little bit to do with the return of Franzen?

And the addition of Miller, and Flip coming off injury, and coaching.

#48 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Lilja is gone, if you don't know swedish use google translator or something

http://www.aftonblad...ticle7395608.ab

"July 1st will be very exciting" -Lilja...
erhm

#49 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

the " Pain Train " era is coming to an end..
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#50 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

You think that Abs is worthless? Are you kidding?

Yeah, guys that would just die to play in that winged wheel uniform are just useless nowadays :ph34r:

Get real man.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#51 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

Maybe he'll go to Vancouver- just to prove that Swedes can be cuter than Sammy and the Twins.

The problem that I'm having isn't the keeping of Maltby over Lilja. They aren't in competition for position. Where I'm not happy is the keeping of Meech over Lilja. Granted Meech can play forward, which is useful, but Ericsson started as a forward too. He could do it in a pinch.

#52 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Life must be pretty good in Red Wing Land if people are bemoaning the possible loss of a bottom pair defenseman...

Seriously... there are about a million dudes that could replace Lilja.

I like Lilja, but he is not a 'make or break' player by any stretch.

Edited by Broken 16, 30 June 2010 - 04:33 PM.

#53 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

Maybe he'll go to Vancouver- just to prove that Swedes can be cuter than Sammy and the Twins.

The problem that I'm having isn't the keeping of Maltby over Lilja. They aren't in competition for position. Where I'm not happy is the keeping of Meech over Lilja. Granted Meech can play forward, which is useful, but Ericsson started as a forward too. He could do it in a pinch.

I don't think many will argue that Meech is better than Lilja. However, Meech will come at a lower price tag and will be more comfortable being the 6th/7th d-man. There isn't any room in our top-4 for Lilja, and he likely wouldn't ever get the ice time he wants in Detroit.

#54 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

Life must be pretty good in Red Wing Land if people are bemoaning the possible loss of a bottom pair defenseman...

Agreed.

Like I posted earlier - there's a handful of guys available tomorrow who would fill in nicely (if not better)...Some here are hung-up on Lilja because when compared to our other Dmen - especially Ericsson/Lebda/Meech he's the only one who'll block shots, and might ruff-up an opposing forward around the crease...With our D lacking testicular fortitude - anyone who plays like they have a pair is all of a sudden irreplaceable.

Truth be told I like Lilja - just that there's others out there who could do the job as good - if not better for equal, or less the $$$.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#55 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, I don't trust Ken Holland at all. After all, he can't be partially responsible for all of our success including partially responsible for the last four Stanley Cups we've won, right? This guy's a joke! :ph34r:

Seriously though, have a little f***in' faith. Do you honestly think Holland would keep our lineup with a possible back-end D rotation of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, and then 2 or 3 players with little to no clue? The answer you're looking for here is "no".

Edited by lookalive07, 30 June 2010 - 04:56 PM.

Posted Image

#56 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, I don't trust Ken Holland at all. After all, he can't be partially responsible for all of our success including partially responsible for the last four Stanley Cups we've won, right? This guy's a joke! :ph34r:

Seriously though, have a little f***in' faith. Do you honestly think Holland would keep our lineup with a possible back-end D rotation of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, and then 2 or 3 players with little to no clue? The answer you're looking for here is "no".

I for 1 have faith in Kenny - yet the rumours of him re-signing Maltby has me scratching my head.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#57 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I for 1 have faith in Kenny - yet the rumours of him re-signing Maltby has me scratching my head.

It all comes down to loyalty for the long-timers. I guess it's good that Holland acts like this but at the same time I wish he just handled business like Dallas did with Modano.

#58 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

Completely agree.

If nothing else, this free agent class offers many possible replacements to take over Lilja's role in the same price range. I like Lilja, but I'm not going to lose sleep over our third pairing d-man leaving. Holland will find a suitable player to fill the spot, hopefully someone like McKee or Boynton. I would love Willie Mitchell, but he's way out of the price range of the Red Wings.

Edited by GoWings1905, 30 June 2010 - 07:58 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#59 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

What Dallas did to Modano was a classless move.He played his brains out for that organization his whole career and they leave him hanging,instead of offering him a cheap contract so he can finish his illustrious career there.What Dallas did to Modano wad a stab in the back.No question about it.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#60 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

What Dallas did to Modano was a classless move.He played his brains out for that organization his whole career and they leave him hanging,instead of offering him a cheap contract so he can finish his illustrious career there.What Dallas did to Modano wad a stab in the back.No question about it.

Point is, there's a time that comes when a business/organization needs to let go and move on with their future plans for the better. Not every organization can be like the Wings where we show a little too much loyalty for long-timers, especially since we're a cup contender and Dallas isn't.