• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Octopus's Garden

Lilja likely gone

Rate this topic

Life must be pretty good in Red Wing Land if people are bemoaning the possible loss of a bottom pair defenseman...

Seriously... there are about a million dudes that could replace Lilja.

I like Lilja, but he is not a 'make or break' player by any stretch.

Edited by Broken 16

Maybe he'll go to Vancouver- just to prove that Swedes can be cuter than Sammy and the Twins.

The problem that I'm having isn't the keeping of Maltby over Lilja. They aren't in competition for position. Where I'm not happy is the keeping of Meech over Lilja. Granted Meech can play forward, which is useful, but Ericsson started as a forward too. He could do it in a pinch.

I don't think many will argue that Meech is better than Lilja. However, Meech will come at a lower price tag and will be more comfortable being the 6th/7th d-man. There isn't any room in our top-4 for Lilja, and he likely wouldn't ever get the ice time he wants in Detroit.

Yeah, I don't trust Ken Holland at all. After all, he can't be partially responsible for all of our success including partially responsible for the last four Stanley Cups we've won, right? This guy's a joke! :ph34r:

Seriously though, have a little f***in' faith. Do you honestly think Holland would keep our lineup with a possible back-end D rotation of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, and then 2 or 3 players with little to no clue? The answer you're looking for here is "no".

Edited by lookalive07

I for 1 have faith in Kenny - yet the rumours of him re-signing Maltby has me scratching my head.

It all comes down to loyalty for the long-timers. I guess it's good that Holland acts like this but at the same time I wish he just handled business like Dallas did with Modano.

Life must be pretty good in Red Wing Land if people are bemoaning the possible loss of a bottom pair defenseman...

Seriously... there are about a million dudes that could replace Lilja.

I like Lilja, but he is not a 'make or break' player by any stretch.

Completely agree.

If nothing else, this free agent class offers many possible replacements to take over Lilja's role in the same price range. I like Lilja, but I'm not going to lose sleep over our third pairing d-man leaving. Holland will find a suitable player to fill the spot, hopefully someone like McKee or Boynton. I would love Willie Mitchell, but he's way out of the price range of the Red Wings.

Edited by GoWings1905

What Dallas did to Modano was a classless move.He played his brains out for that organization his whole career and they leave him hanging,instead of offering him a cheap contract so he can finish his illustrious career there.What Dallas did to Modano wad a stab in the back.No question about it.

Point is, there's a time that comes when a business/organization needs to let go and move on with their future plans for the better. Not every organization can be like the Wings where we show a little too much loyalty for long-timers, especially since we're a cup contender and Dallas isn't.

I agree with you to a certain point,dropkickshanahans,but a guy like Modano,who in my opinion,is a future hall of famer,shoul be given a contract at league minimum or something,and if he rejects it and bolts to another team,then whatever,he's not loyal then.But seriously,a little loyalty for a future hall of famer who wants to finish his career in the organization in which he's played as a part for over 20 years.

Point is, there's a time that comes when a business/organization needs to let go and move on with their future plans for the better. Not every organization can be like the Wings where we show a little too much loyalty for long-timers, especially since we're a cup contender and Dallas isn't.

I haven't seen Modano play too much since 2006, when his season was surprisingly exciting; yet, he still put up a point every other game last year (avg). Sign him cheap, and if he can't cut it, scratch him for the good of the team. Then the organization is not the bad guy.

It would have been better for both parties for Modano to retire, but if he was seeking a contract, he forced the hand of Stars management; they could have handled the situation with more grace than he, is all I say.

Lils is no Norris candidate, but he's been an integral part of our defense. Hell, look at the Wings' record this past season AFTER he returned. It was a HUGE difference.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lils....but didn't his return to the lineup also coincide with the return of Franzen and a few others? So to give all the credit to Lils for the Wings' turnaround is probably not all that accurate.

I haven't seen Modano play too much since 2006, when his season was surprisingly exciting; yet, he still put up a point every other game last year (avg). Sign him cheap, and if he can't cut it, scratch him for the good of the team. Then the organization is not the bad guy.

It would have been better for both parties for Modano to retire, but if he was seeking a contract, he forced the hand of Stars management; they could have handled the situation with more grace than he, is all I say.

I agree. At least it didn't turn into an ugly situation like Brett Favre vs. Green Bay (Of course the media didn't help either in that regard).

I agree with you to a certain point,dropkickshanahans,but a guy like Modano,who in my opinion,is a future hall of famer,shoul be given a contract at league minimum or something,and if he rejects it and bolts to another team,then whatever,he's not loyal then.But seriously,a little loyalty for a future hall of famer who wants to finish his career in the organization in which he's played as a part for over 20 years.

Ya' I hear ya. I don't know all the details about it, maybe they did offer minimum or not, I don't know. All I can really say is that they had their mind set that their future was gonna be without him.

At least we can be glad that Kenny and Co. run things in a "family" like way, which is something that I'll always admire even if I disagree with some decisions (ex. keeping Maltby). You don't see too many orgs do this.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

He's probably gone. But Lilja played well enough that I will always wonder how well he would have played if he hadn't had to cover for Ericsson way too much of the time. Especially early in their pairing.

Maybe, but there is also a reason that the wings have been able to sign players at a cheaper rate than most teams, and loyalty is one of those reasons. To me its a double edged sword. Is Malts the best option? Probably not, but at the same time if you start treating players like Dallas did Modano then we might lose that hometown discount we have been getting for years. So for my money, I will gladly take a Malts to have the possibility of retaining a Z for 6 mil.

I was never a fan of Lakidillia Lilja. Yes, he could block shots and was big, but come on...the give-aways were too much. Every time he stepped on the ice, I would cringe!

On the other side, I wish him the best of luck if he goes somewhere else and...he better learn how to cover!

i want marc-andre bergeron. bring some offense and hes only 29. and a good price at 0.750. maybe a bit weak on the defensive side, but would fit well with stuart or rafalski.

That's an understatement and a half. Detroit needs a bigger guy who's willing to hit, block shots and play in the corners.

Guest Four

Lils must not be getting any good offers from other teams at the moment though, which is good for us.