• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

So the day of reckoning regarding free agency is nearly here, and the flood gates will soon be opened. How busy do you think tomorrow will be? Do you think the big names will be swooped up very early with action abundant...or do you think that this year might be a bit slower then usual.

It seems that the talent pool this year, aside from a few names, is suspiciously lacking when compared to other years.

Anyways, things regarding the 2010-2011 season should be cleared up soon.

I'm not anticipating anything fancy from the Wings, but it will be interesting to see where a few guys end up.

Free agency looms!

#2 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Big names will go the first 3 days then the scrum/cheap players will be available for the rest of the month and august for kenny to sign...4th line grinder/tough guy + 6th D man.

Edited by mindfly, 30 June 2010 - 05:12 PM.

#3 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

Not as busy as the NBA will be, that's for sure.

#4 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

We have 5 million free and don't have to be under the cap till end of training camp, I vote we pick up another top 6 guy and make things interesting.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#5 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

We have 5 million free and don't have to be under the cap till end of training camp, I vote we pick up another top 6 guy and make things interesting.

Typically I'd agree with this attitude - however there is a significant decline in top 6 forward talent available via UFA, and those that are available will possibly be well overpaid what they are really worth.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#6 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

What do you all think about possibly adding Paul Martin? Just curious on the general feelings towards the idea.

As for how busy, I don't think it will be too busy. Pretty much what mindfly said.

Edited by Nhurdi, 30 June 2010 - 05:47 PM.

#7 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

If Holland signs anyone, it'll be a an aging forward and defensman for a year. Not knocking Holland, that is just his M.O. It's not like another Hossa situation is gonna drop in our laps...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#8 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

What do you all think about possibly adding Paul Martin? Just curious on the general feelings towards the idea.

As for how busy, I don't think it will be too busy. Pretty much what mindfly said.

Paul Martin could get 5M on the open market... you do the math :rolleyes:

#9 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

Wings still need a couple of pieces, namely another defenseman. Hopefully Holland will be able to jump into the fray tomorrow and pick up a good one.

I see Burke making waves tomorrow...any predictions?

#10 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Wings still need a couple of pieces, namely another defenseman. Hopefully Holland will be able to jump into the fray tomorrow and pick up a good one.

I see Burke making waves tomorrow...any predictions?

I could see Burke going after Paul Martin. Also, Marc Savard.

I don't think Holland will be making any moves tomorrow. Of course, he will extend offers, but don't expect anything significant. The biggest move that I could see Holland pulling is offering Modano a 1million/1 year deal. If that doesn't happen, I'm thinking he signs a 4th liner and a 3rd pairing defenseman by the end of July.

#11 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

I'm thinking he signs a 4th liner and a 3rd pairing defenseman by the end of July.

I'm thinking he was quoted in the Detroit News today stating this exact thing. So I think you are correct ;)
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#12 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

I'm hearing that a lot of free agent defensemen are looking for $5 mil like Gonchar, Hamhuis, Volchenkov, Martin. Raffy and Nick at $6 mil and Kronner and Stuart at $3.5 mil are really looking good right now.

#13 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Exactly why i said "curious on the general feelings towards the idea". I like the player, i fully realize it's not a possibility due to $ unless we moved someone which is not likely. So other than the 5 mill what are your thoughts on him? :rolleyes:

#14 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

There isn't all the much to sign really...

The good GMs will make their mark. I am hoping that Bobby Ryan gets stolen by Edmonton. That will be my BOLD prediction!

I could see Burke going after Paul Martin. Also, Marc Savard.

I don't think Holland will be making any moves tomorrow. Of course, he will extend offers, but don't expect anything significant. The biggest move that I could see Holland pulling is offering Modano a 1million/1 year deal. If that doesn't happen, I'm thinking he signs a 4th liner and a 3rd pairing defenseman by the end of July.

I don't think we would offer Modano even that. I bet vet min for him if he wants to...

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there is no signings except a Doug Jannik type. GR and Wing in a pinch type signing. I feel like he would wait a year and see how things play out before signing anything but the bottom of the barrel type.

I still wish he signed Vinny Prospal...
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#15 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, I would like if he brought in Prospal.

Never could afford them but Hamhuis or Mitchell would be great to have. Both of them would make us a ***** to play against.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#16 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

Not at all for the Wings I wouldn't expect them to sign anyone for a few weeks and i don't think there will a lot of action through out the league either not like past years anyway
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#17 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, I would like if he brought in Prospal.

Never could afford them but Hamhuis or Mitchell would be great to have. Both of them would make us a ***** to play against.

How many times must it be said that Prospal and Babcock have bad blood between them from their mutual days in Anaheim? People have said it numerous times, yet you still complain that Holland hasn't signed him.

#18 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hey guys guess what?......Tomorrow is now today. July 1st is finally here.

#19 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

I wonder how long it will take for Kovalchuk to sign
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#20 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

I don't think we will hear much about the Wings being involved in the first 3-4 days short of our own RFA's.