• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

Wings, City of Detroit extend lease talks on the Joe

Rate this topic

Well if there's any truth to the rumours of the Ilitch's getting involved in purchasing the Pistons I wouldn't be too surprised if the Red Wings played in the Palace.

Ilitches would never go outside of downtown especially with their babies being the Wings and Tigers and the absolute friggen outcry there would be for people having to go the Palace (although a beautiful arena) for Wings games. Should be old time barn downtown and the Palace won't be the place.

I never want the Wings playing in the same building as the Pistons.

It is insulting to both organizations.

Plus I love the Joe. The only reason they want to build a new one is so they can take seats away from the fans and build corporate suites. Eff that, Hockey is blue collar. Rich pricks can go watch polo and leave the mid level seats to the fans.

Yeah but 10-15 mil is chump change compared to all the necessary s*** they'd have to do to accommodate the move to the Palace. We're talking about sponsorship changes, employees that would either not have a job or have to be relocated, the change in schedules for both the Pistons and the Red Wings and the necessary switches from court to ice each time the teams had home games. It would likely be much more expensive to relocate until the new arena is built. Plus, we get to see them in the Joe for at least one more year, and that's just fine with me.

I wasn't talking about it being a permanent home. I was talking with the 10-15 mil that is proposed for renovations for the Joe will be less costly and less painful for the already struggling Detroit economy in the end. If Illitch is smart (which we all know he is), he knows this fact and knows that people working for Olympia Entertainment will be forever indebted to him if he keeps the Wings at the Joe for a few more seasons while a new arena is built.

Like I said, it would definitely be more costly if the Red Wings moved to Auburn Hills with everything that would have to go into making it a full-time season dual arena.

Considering the hockey and basketball seasons run concurrently, it would be a scheduling disaster if the Wings moved to the Palace.

Almost every other major city that has an NBA & NHL team share an arena including Toronto, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Washington DC, Denver, Dallas. They make it work you can bet the Palace would manage. It's a fantastic venue but I dunno it would just feel so wierd for it to be the Wings permanent home. I don't think I could deal with that emotionally. Temporary while Olympia II is being built downton fine -- but not "home".

I highly doubt that the Palace would ever become the Wing's permanent home. In every report that even mentions them moving there always states that it would only be done while a new arena is being built.

I thought the whole premise for temporarily moving into the Palace would only occur if the current JLA was to be renovated... no need to move if Ilitch builds an entirely new arena.

From what little I know of the situation is that if the Ilitch's were to be part of a group that purchases the Pistons/Palace - then there's the possibility that the Red Wings would end up playing at the Palace until a new arena was built behind the FOX Theatre.

I am quite alright with that. With Comerica and the new Wings arena all within a city block and not to mention the awesome yet overpriced Hockeytown Cafe. I am still of the opinion to put the new arena right where Tiger Stadium stood. Its right off 75 and you could see it perfectly as you pass on the expressway and also can build around the great old time bars down there (ie. Nemo's which is one of my faves, Hoots, and add many more). Just spitballin though.

Edited by HankthaTank