What if?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slavetothehotlight

slavetothehotlight

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

What if a team took a run at one of our RFA. I guess Helm would be the only one anyone would really want. Lets say a team offered him 2 million. Do we match or let him go? Seems pretty unlikely for someone with his numbers, but he has shown to be a playoff performer (although not so much this year) and with say 2nd line minutes he could put up some decent numbers in the reg season.

#2 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

What if a team took a run at one of our RFA. I guess Helm would be the only one anyone would really want. Lets say a team offered him 2 million. Do we match or let him go? Seems pretty unlikely for someone with his numbers, but he has shown to be a playoff performer (although not so much this year) and with say 2nd line minutes he could put up some decent numbers in the reg season.

Probably won't happen. I would be shocked if anybody offered two million for Helm. For the sake of the argument, if somebody did, we probably could not match that.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#3 slavetothehotlight

slavetothehotlight

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

Probably won't happen. I would be shocked if anybody offered two million for Helm. For the sake of the argument, if somebody did, we probably could not match that.

I thought the same thing and then realized we payed Jason Williams 1.5 million last year.

#4 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Other teams can't because Ken Holland made qualifying offers to all of the RFAs.

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#5 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Other teams can't because Ken Holland made qualifying offers to all of the RFAs.

Not true. The only thing that the qualifying offer does is prevent our RFA's from becoming UFA's. Had Holland not submitted a qualifying offer, all of our RFA's would become UFA's.

Other teams can still poach our RFA's. If the player or the team elects for Arbitration, THEN the player is off the RFA market.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#6 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

Well, a team like Anaheim (just as an example) could make an offer we couldn't match. But Helm, having a brain, probably wouldn't want to leave for an extra mil to play on a team that's going nowhere (about 70% of the league).

I don't think we have to be worried.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#7 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:24 PM

He's not worth 2 mill not yet anyways. I don't think Helm has any arbitration rights yet.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#8 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

Not true. The only thing that the qualifying offer does is prevent our RFA's from becoming UFA's. Had Holland not submitted a qualifying offer, all of our RFA's would become UFA's.

Other teams can still poach our RFA's. If the player or the team elects for Arbitration, THEN the player is off the RFA market.

Thanks for enlightening me, I had thought that it was the way I described...but I'm glad to know that thats how it works.

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#9 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

I'm not worried. Teams generally don't take RFA runs at 3rd and 4th line talent. It's really not worth pissing other managers off for grinders. No one honestly thinks Helm is a top six player so they won't overpay for him and thus Holland can easily match an offer.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#10 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

It can lead to something like the great Kevin Lowe - Brian Burke feud, which was a classic.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.