30 replies to this topic

#1 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

Link

With all the goalies on the market this year, it is not a good year to be a UFA goalie - if ATL was going to offer him a decent deal, he should have just taken it, he might screw himself by waiting for free agency, as ATL could just go sign another one of those UFA's and let him walk and he may not see the same money they would have been willing to give him on the open market...

Edited by stevkrause, 01 July 2010 - 08:34 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#2 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

No kidding...I don't ever recall seeing this many netminders available via UFA.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#3 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

I think it's simply because, like most players, he doesn't want to play in Atlanta. I'm willing to bet he'd sign for a lower offer with another then a slightly higher offer in Atlanta.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#4 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Posted Image

Approves.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#5 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, Altanta is NOT the spot to be. If I am in the NHL I'd take less money to play with a better club then more money to play in the ATL. They are just God awful. I'd do the same thing and reject what they throw at me... unless obviously its something crazy that I simply just couldn't refuse.

Posted Image

#6 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Just because they can pay him doesn't mean he should stay. I would HATE to play in Atlanta.

#7 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

Just because they can pay him doesn't mean he should stay. I would HATE to play in Atlanta.

But he's not going to just be GIVEN a starting job anywhere else and for a goalie, starting is sometimes more important that winning...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#8 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

But he's not going to just be GIVEN a starting job anywhere else and for a goalie, starting is sometimes more important that winning...

Agreed.

He could be heading home come September.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#9 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Read somewhere that the Rangers might try to get him to lessen the load on Lundqvist.

#10 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Read somewhere that the Rangers might try to get him to lessen the load on Lundqvist.

why would he relinquish a starting role to be a backup? Doesn't make sense...

EDIT - and most likely for less money too...

Edited by stevkrause, 01 July 2010 - 09:34 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#11 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

why would he relinquish a starting role to be a backup? Doesn't make sense...

EDIT - and most likely for less money too...

To have a chance to win... oh wait... the Rangers.. nvm

#12 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

To have a chance to win... oh wait... the Rangers.. nvm

even aside from the fact the Rangers aren't going to be favorites, with his age, it still wouldn't make sense... players take lesser roles and less money to win at later stages in their career - When they're still establishing a career, it would be career suicide to take such a demotion...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#13 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

I could see Edm, SJ (If they don't land Thomas via trade or Turco via FA), or STL making a play at him.

Ott, could be interested but they would not be promising a starting role, like many other clubs.

I think he ends up back in Atl, not that he really wants to but if let's say Turco goes to SJ, Thomas traded to EDM (for sake of argument) it comes down to who is better STL or ATL?

I think the real suitors here are EDM, ATL, STL.

And I still haven't accounted for Nabby and Jose three of four, (whom always seems to get paid and end up somewhere starting only to end up sucking!)

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#14 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

I could see Edm, SJ (If they don't land Thomas via trade or Turco via FA), or STL making a play at him.

Ott, could be interested but they would not be promising a starting role, like many other clubs.

I think he ends up back in Atl, not that he really wants to but if let's say Turco goes to SJ, Thomas traded to EDM (for sake of argument) it comes down to who is better STL or ATL?

I think the real suitors here are EDM, ATL, STL.

And I still haven't accounted for Nabby and Jose three of four, (whom always seems to get paid and end up somewhere starting only to end up sucking!)

STL already traded for Halak... they're out of the scenario...

oh, and EDM still has Khabibulin...

Edited by stevkrause, 01 July 2010 - 09:54 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#15 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

Forgot about that one, good point, and I left Chris Mason out of that list as well, another youngster who will command some attention.

I agree with your subtitle, he should have taken the deal, now if ATL goes out and grabs Lalime, Toskala, Raycroft, Niittymaki, or one of the other 700 fa goalies, he will almost have to take a back up role.

The other thing I noticed while going over the plethora of FA netminders is this hamstrings Boston's ability to get rid of Thomas, they have to hope SJ wants him.

They will likely get crap in return, because their are so many goalies out there, unless of course they trade him to ATL who like overpaying for players!

Edit: IMO Hedburg > Khabi! I knew that one when I posted!

Edited by Opie, 01 July 2010 - 09:59 AM.

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#16 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Forgot about that one, good point, and I left Chris Mason out of that list as well, another youngster who will command some attention.

I agree with your subtitle, he should have taken the deal, now if ATL goes out and grabs Lalime, Toskala, Raycroft, Niittymaki, or one of the other 700 fa goalies, he will almost have to take a back up role.

The other thing I noticed while going over the plethora of FA netminders is this hamstrings Boston's ability to get rid of Thomas, they have to hope SJ wants him.

They will likely get crap in return, because their are so many goalies out there, unless of course they trade him to ATL who like overpaying for players!

Edit: IMO Hedburg > Khabi! I knew that one when I posted!

It really is an OVERLOADED class of FA netminders this year... no year for negotiating for sure...

As far as Khabibulin, I disagree and still think he is better than Hedberg at this stage in his career, but even by the argument that he might not be - he's making 3.75m... that's not backup salary and there's no way they could trade him, for the reasons already covered (plus, I think he has a NTC) - So, I can guarantee that Edm is not looking for a starter

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#17 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

Damn you stop destroying my posts!

Just kidding.

Like I said before I agree with your subtitle he should have signed as he could get hosed if ATL decides to make a move, then he will have to back up somewhere!

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Let's also not forget that Ray Emery is available. He might do well in Atlanta, given their recent efforts to sign more black players to appeal to the metro-Atlanta population.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#19 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Damn you stop destroying my posts!

Just kidding.

Like I said before I agree with your subtitle he should have signed as he could get hosed if ATL decides to make a move, then he will have to back up somewhere!

haha, sorry, just trying to put things in perspective :lol:

Let's also not forget that Ray Emery is available. He might do well in Atlanta, given their recent efforts to sign more black players to appeal to the metro-Atlanta population.

please tell me this is a joke...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#20 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

even aside from the fact the Rangers aren't going to be favorites, with his age, it still wouldn't make sense... players take lesser roles and less money to win at later stages in their career - When they're still establishing a career, it would be career suicide to take such a demotion...

And now Biron signed with the Rangers so the point is moot.