• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

grwingfan

Parents sue because kids suck at hockey

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

I'd like to know what attorney actually TOOK this case. It should never have gotten even close to getting to court.

It's merely to get attention. The most familiar analogy I can think of is Jack Thompson. They may be arguing the case with the worst logic ever and get beat down in court but there's always a group of idiots who will pick up on the message being sent, which was made possible by being widely reported on. It's basically a lawyer's equivalent to whoring one's self out on the strip in Vegas and scoring a rich husband or ten.

BS. This is something that is fudged up with the world. What this teaches is that you can be bad at something and without putting more effort, time, passion, dedication into something you can still get what you want (or profit another way) just by bitching and taking the easy way. If people bitched all the time there would be no point of any type of training one endures for years, which can produce some of the great minds to conquer such issues you listed.

Amen to that!! In his statement, it appears that poster is not seeing the big picture. The actions by these parents are, in a sense, a reflection of the times we are currently living in, one of entitlement. The parents may mean well, but are doing their children no favors by acting so immaturely.

With their logic, everyone of us should have a spot on the Redwings' roster.

Thank goodness for lawyers; from Toronto Star :

Two sets of parents who sued the Greater Toronto Hockey League, one of its clubs and four team officials for $25,000 each when their sons were cut during spring tryouts have reached a settlement.

Sadly, those children may be scarred for life. But, their parents sharing the "bonanza" with them might help to ease their pain.

Wow you have to f----n kidding me, it is a shame that parents like this will not let their kids failure be a learning experiance for his lifes journey, this is how it all starts just like Little League baseball, were all kids make a team no matter how good or bad they are. My daughter played hockey for 14 years and got cut one time, it made her upset but she decided to work harder and practice harder and in doing that she went back and tried out for the same team and made that team the next season, and for 7 years was of the top 10 defensive girls in her age bracket in Michigan > 1999-2006.

I hope the "settlement" is something along the lines of "The boys' coaches next year agree to be more caring and involved, and to provide positive, esteem-enhancing feedback. In return, the boys will enroll in figure skating and will not steal the girls' costumes for their own use, even if the panties are prettier."

It's merely to get attention. The most familiar analogy I can think of is Jack Thompson. They may be arguing the case with the worst logic ever and get beat down in court but there's always a group of idiots who will pick up on the message being sent, which was made possible by being widely reported on. It's basically a lawyer's equivalent to whoring one's self out on the strip in Vegas and scoring a rich husband or ten.

Oh, Jeez. Now you've done it. HR40 is going to show up now, feeling all entitled and jealous because you used that word on these, her boards. She is, after all, the Goddess of Whores.

(seriously. i miss her around here. and some others that are absent. come back, rabs)

OT....George Carlin got it right. 2 professional parents scheduling appointments with the daycare (which means that someone else is raising your kids...helllllo)

This is not about the kids skill or lack of it. It's about those parents with their panties in a knot because of all that precious scheduled time was wasted on a kid that may not even have wanted to be there. Maybe they didn't suck at hockey. They just think their parents suck?

THis is absolutely bull s***. I dont wanna give out my age, but i am finishing up my amateur hockey carrier right now. i started at the age of 10, pretty late compared to most kids in michigan. i tried out for travel teams for a couple of years and got cut. THEN I WENT TO PLAY HOUSE HOCKEY. Its less competition, but its for kids who cant play travel. there are plenty of opportunities for their kids to play somewhere else, especially in the capital of the hockey world, TORONTO CANADA! I played house for a couple of years and went to hockey camp after hockey camp until i made travel, and then a couple years after that, i ended up playing in europe for two summers in 7th and 8th grade. trust me, there is a thing called hard work and effort. and if those kid's parents wanted their sons to play a higher level of hockey, they wouldnt be wasting their money and time on this ridiculous case, and spending it on their sons hockey, Send them to camps, clinics, better equipment. Really, this is so stupid, i actually got MAD when i read the article. But really, work hard enough and in a couple years, who knows, your kid may be being scouted and playing some of the highest level of hockey he could....

This is obviously NOT what is wrong with the world, because there are things that actually matter that make this world f***ed up, but it's s***ty. Minor, but s***ty nonetheless. The parents are obviously as dumb as they come, but this is non-news.

What's wrong with the world?

Genocide, starvation, pedophilia, rampant profiteering, crime, incest, the legacy of colonialism, global warming, aids, warmongering, cancer etc.

Or s***ty hockeyparents?

I'm kind of on the fence with this one.

Oh, this mindset is EXACTLY one of the things that is wrong with the world. Entitlement bull-crap society that we live in where so many think they don't have to work hard. So sick of people rewarding mediocrity and laziness. Even if it was unfair - life is unfair. People want to blame someone for everything, instead of just pointing the finger at themselves OR realizing that sometimes crap happens and deal with it.

It is clearly the parents fault. If they conceived the little SOB at a Wings Playoff Game while wearing the red and white, there would not of been any issues.

Parent's must be very confused on how to spell their last name which is Longo. Just because at a quick glance it looks like Luongo, does not mean your kid is NHL material.

Guess this has taken place in the Greater TO Area? Well, usually failure is contagious. Maybe Burke will sign the kid to a 4 million dollar contract for 1 yr.

Edited by Rivalred

Sorry, offer void in North Dakota. :)

Well then I claim royalty rights for my Aunt Sue... heh

Anyways, this is the most ridiculous thing. If you don't make it, you work harder or you give up. It's that simple... but hey. Maybe I should go back and sue all those battle of the bands I've been in where I didn't win...

Blame Dr. Spock, and his books that everyone followed like it was the holy bible of child rearing. When I played baseball when I was little, my parents would actually watch the games, see what I was doing right and wrong, and then we'd go in the backyard and work on skills. Now everyone thinks their kid is the greatest at everything, and if coach benches a kid the parents yell at coach instead of working on whatever skills their kid needs to improve in order to play.

In junior high, I tried out for the basketball team. Quite frankly, I sucked, and didn't get picked. I didn't cry, my parents didn't sue. They always taught me to try hard at everything in life; sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I eventually found a sport I was good at, cross-country and track & field, and I worked hard to get good. The hard work paid off and I got a great sense of satisfaction from it. I can't imagine I'd get the same feeling if I got something without trying.

I hate this false sense of entitlement a lot of people younger than me have (and some the same age as me). Its like some parents are so worried about trashing a kid's self esteem that they put them on this false pedestal, and they pay for it later in life because they're not ready for the real world. Very sad.

In high school I tried out for the baseball team and ended up becoming the lacrosse goalie. Not sure how that one worked out.

It's called fate, or something like that...

Eventually, everyone falls into whatever activity they're good at.