• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

The new TBL

Rate this topic

I for one am thoroughly impressed by what Steve Yzerman has done over the past couple of hours...

- Mezsaroz contract successfully dumped for a 2nd rounder

- St Louis extended at fair cap hit (5ish)

- Dan Ellis - a great candidate to be a franchise goalie

I can't wait to see what else he does. The roster still has a lot of openings.

I'm waiting to hear how much Ellis signed for. 2 mil or below and it's a good deal.

*edit*

Turns out to be 1.5 mil for two years. Now I can officially agree with this thread. GREAT job by Stevie Y. today.

Edited by ShanahanMan

I expect the conversation went something like:

We'll give you a little less than you'll get somewhere else but you'll be our starter. After those two years if it's working out we will give you a nice extension an some bigger money.

It also helps that the team is just about to round a corner into what the pens looked like a couple years ago - but with yzerman working things a bit more should be expected.

Doesn't help the wings that lidstrom should have signed a one year 1 million dollar deal. why not try to win another cup and give your team cap space. wings didn't have any room to sign anyone. can't blame holland on this year's free agency. i think next year we will have some cap space to work with.

Edited by greekman29

Doesn't help the wings that lidstrom should have signed a one year 1 million dollar deal. why not try to win another cup and give your team cap space. wings didn't have any room to sign anyone. can't blame holland on this year's free agency. i think next year we will have some cap space to work with.

:lol: Says the guy who's money it isn't.

I shouldn't have even dignified this post with a response.

Not to break up the Stvie love-fest, but he really hasn't done anything yet.

Ellis is a solid move I think, not convinced the other two are all that great. Not bad moves, but not great either. A 4 year deal for St.Louis is a bit risky, but it is a decent price and he's not showing real signs of declining. Meszaros isn't a terrible player, and his contract wasn't that bad. And with the weak FA crop this year, it won't be easy to replace him.

He still has too much work to do to make any judgement yet.

Not to break up the Stvie love-fest, but he really hasn't done anything yet.

Ellis is a solid move I think, not convinced the other two are all that great. Not bad moves, but not great either. A 4 year deal for St.Louis is a bit risky, but it is a decent price and he's not showing real signs of declining. Meszaros isn't a terrible player, and his contract wasn't that bad. And with the weak FA crop this year, it won't be easy to replace him.

He still has too much work to do to make any judgement yet.

I love Stevie Y don't get me wrong. And I for sure hope he succeeds at whatever he does. With that being said I agree with you. He hasn't really done much of anything, and Tampa Bay isn't really any better then last season, on paper at least. He needs to do a little more then what's done in order to get a little praise. Anyways good luck to the greatest capitan of all time. Can't wait for you to return to hockey town!

Granted, Yzerman is from way before I became a Wings fan, but I've learned enough to cheer for Yzerman.

Looks like I need to add another team to the ones I regularly watch.

Where will it end? I must have seen 150 games last year and I've only been a fan for two years.

Maybe a bandwagon-fan, but a friend convinced me to watch the 08-09 playoffs because I had a better internet connection and television than him.

I knew little about The Wings until then, even though I'm Swedish.

If you ever needed to try and convince somebody that they needed to, not only watch the NHL, but a specific team in particular, could you choose a better time than The Red Wings and the playoffs 08-09?

Well, yeah, with Detroit you probably could chose from quite a few times.

Rant over.

Granted, Yzerman is from way before I became a Wings fan, but I've learned enough to cheer for Yzerman.

Looks like I need to add another team to the ones I regularly watch.

Where will it end? I must have seen 150 games last year and I've only been a fan for two years.

Maybe a bandwagon-fan, but a friend convinced me to watch the 08-09 playoffs because I had a better internet connection and television than him.

I knew little about The Wings until then, even though I'm Swedish.

If you ever needed to try and convince somebody that they needed to, not only watch the NHL, but a specific team in particular, could you choose a better time than The Red Wings and the playoffs 08-09?

Well, yeah, with Detroit you probably could chose from quite a few times.

Rant over.

Hey, every hockey fan has to start somewhere, right? I didn't find myself falling hardcore into hockey until the early to mid-90s and it coincidentally coincided with the rise of the Wings dynasty. It happens. :D

four year deal for St Louis at five per is NOT a good deal. If he signed him for two or one years at five thats good, but he could go downhill fast... you cannot be sure.

Elis was a sick deal.

I still say you cannot tell me he is doing a good job until his draft picks start contributing, but this is an okay start. He would prove himself to me if he fleeced Montreal.

I still say he could have gotten Halak Cammalari and Plekanec for Vincent. Plus maybe even a pick. Montreal is that stupid for French superstars. That would be Steve kicking ass. He didn't do that sooooo, this is a decent plan b.

I always (haha) thought of Boston as a Red Wings East. I like um.

Maybe Philly is a better comparison. I know people on here call them a goon squad but after watching most of their games last season I strongly disagree.

Don't ask me why somebody's that has been watching hockey seriously for two years, choose to follow Detroit, Boston, Philly and sometimes the Sharks, because I have little to no clue. Might be becuase, no matter what you hardcore fans feel in your hearts about Pronger etc, they play really good hockey. And, I might just state this right away, I like Pronger a lot. I understand why that is though, I never saw him steamroll Holmström or others when it actually happened. I like Laperriere too. And Avery.

What the f*** is wrong with me?

I think overall today was a good one for Stevie's first foray into free agency as a GM. The Ellis signing is solid and dumping Meszaros for a second-rounder (in 2012) was a good move. He let Foster go, too, and traded Signing St. Louis is one of those "wait and see" moves - he's still a good player and it goes a long way in building goodwill with the Bolts fans but I think three years would have been better.

It's going to take a few years before we see how the draft picks are going to do, and even then, the 2010 draftees aren't Stevie's - he pretty much left this year's draft up to the scouts because he'd only been on the job a month at the time of the draft! He just announced the picks.

But, not a bad start. And you've got to start somewhere. I still think he's going to kick ass in Tampa and turn them into an Eastern Conference powerhouse. And I saw this on Twitter -

#TBLightning RT @CraigCustance: Was talking to someone who has been dealing w/Yzerman & he's impressed."He's going to be an unbelievable GM"

:clap: