• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukownzU13

TSN: Discussion of Modano To Wings

Rate this topic

As has been reported here he has been quoted as saying he's interested in most of the western teams. I'm wondering if he might be hesitating with the Wings because of the distinct possibility he won't be used on the first or second lines. I honestly don't remember where he ended up playing in Dallas. Hopefully though, his ego won't get in his way too much. As for his potential douchnescity, I'm thinking the locker room boyz might help keep that to a minimum. At least while he's hanging with them.

yeah but what other west team would he play 1st or 2nd line?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Modano would look great next to Kronwall on the 2nd PP unit w/ Huds-Fil-Mule. We can add the 4th line gritty winger at the trade deadline if necessary with our pro-rated cap space that we will have all year. I can only imagine how good our team could be if we could ship Draper to T.O. but that just isn't going to happen since Kenny is so loyal.

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / * Mike Modano ($1.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.950m) / * Darren Helm ($0.800m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m) / * Injury Call up Space ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

* Veteran D ($1.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 24; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $59.192m; CAP ROOM: $0.208m BONUSES: $0.000m

As has been reported here he has been quoted as saying he's interested in most of the western teams. I'm wondering if he might be hesitating with the Wings because of the distinct possibility he won't be used on the first or second lines. I honestly don't remember where he ended up playing in Dallas. Hopefully though, his ego won't get in his way too much. As for his potential douchnescity, I'm thinking the locker room boyz might help keep that to a minimum. At least while he's hanging with them.

He has a potential for douchnescity?

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think signing Modano could be good for the Wings. If it's for 1 year and 1 mil or less then I don't mind it. It is certainly a hell of a lot better than signing Jason I STINK Williams!

There's no doubt (even at his age) that he would make our team better and be a good influence on guys likes Abs, however, we still need to add that 4th line nastiness, so if we add Modano, be prepared to give up on Ritola and say bye to Miller too as trades will NEED to get made to clear the roster space...

Also, for the people saying a "win it for Mike" scenario would be the same as Drake, you are WAY off - Drake was a former Red Wing (who makes his off season home in Traverse City) and had NEVER won a cup - Mike (although a MI native) has made Texas home and already has a ring... if you can't see the difference in urgency, I don't know how much clearer to make it...

If it means signing him at the cost of adding a real decent 4th line guy, who can play 7+ minutes every night and is a mean SOB, or a veteran stay-home 6th d-man... then I have a problem - If it's done as WELL as this, then I think we got one hell of a team and I'm willing to let Ritola go and risk his potential, potentially biting us in the ass...

As I've said since this was first brought up - I wouldn't love it, but I wouldn't hate it.

You're stupid. grinders winning cups is so 1990's.

The unrestricted free agent continued to deliberate on his playing future Friday and told ESPN.com via text message that the Red Wings were the only team to call so far

He has a potential for douchnescity?

Well now, you never heard me say that. -_- OK, I always thought his eyes were just a wee bit too close together, but other than that I certainly think and hope he means well. And if he does get too outta line I can always come down there with my purse full of pucks and take him on. NO problem. :thumbs-up:

Do we need Mike Modano? Meaning, will the team be worse off next season if we don't sign him? He's 38 years old. Shouldn't the team focus on getting younger rather than signing older players? We have enough of them on the team already.

I don't think anyone would say it's something we "need," and I bet there would be many people arguing that we should get younger. But with the limited cap space we have, we can't just conjure NHL quality youngsters out of thin air. If management believes Modano makes the team better on a one year bargain without blocking the progress of an AHL'er, why not pull the trigger?

Guest Hatethedrake!

Apparently the Wings are the only team with any interest in Modano. Also Modano still wants to play. So we can deduct then that he will be a Red Wing. :huh: Well I don't mind if Kenny does sign him. 3rd line centre would be the ideal place for him. Maybe he plays with Hudler and Cleary. This means that a line of Helm, Abdelkader and Eaves would form the 4th line. That posssibility is intriguing. That would be a tenacious and fast line to play against. 3 scoring lines and a bad ass energy checking line. Maybe this is what Kenny is thinking.

Do we need Mike Modano? Meaning, will the team be worse off next season if we don't sign him? He's 38 years old. Shouldn't the team focus on getting younger rather than signing older players? We have enough of them on the team already.

I feel the same way. While I wouldn't be completely opposed to the Red Wings signing Modano, I am leaning more towards hoping it doesn't happen right now. Modano doesn't fit what the Red Wings need this summmer, nor does he fall under the category of what Ken Holland said was going to be addressed. We don't need another center. Neither Abdelkader nor Helm should be playing the wing at the expense of Modano. I would rather have a physical, bottom pairing d-man and then maybe go out and sign a gritty 4th liner with the remaining money. The Red Wings have a logjam at forward as it is and I am really not willing to lose Ritola or Miller over a one-year-run for a 40-year-old Mike Modano.

Edited by GoWings1905

Another thing people are failing to mention is that the Wings coming out and being the first to offer him a contract even though the whole league knows we don't need a center is the ultimate in class by our organization. This is why players want to play here. Modano has been a pretty good warrior in this league for a long time and kudos to the Wings for recognizing that and not allowing him to go out like that.