• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukownzU13

TSN: Discussion of Modano To Wings

Rate this topic

If Modano signs with the Wings, I think this year's team would be on a mission to win the Cup just for him.

Seeing how Modano already won the Cup, I doubt we would be on a "Dallas Drake" type of mission. That being said, it seams like Mike has some hockey left in the tank. If he'll sign for a reasonable amount, I am all for him finishing his career at home.

Modano really started to slide the past few years. And sometimes I think we overestimate the ability of playing with the Wings to cure your career problems.

But Modano might be one of those players who really comes around. He's not playing for a declining franchise, he's never been sold out by the Wings and he can escape whatever went on in Dallas. He could come play for a team that would appreciate him, and with the linemates he'll have he can easily put up some numbers and at the very least retire with another respectable season and quite possibly a Cup win. Let's face it, there are very few teams that stand a real shot at winning, and Detroit is one of them.

Detroit also happens to be the only team that contacted him.

Ergo, if he still has a desire to win one last time, he signs with the Wings for whatever they offer.

Modano really started to slide the past few years. And sometimes I think we overestimate the ability of playing with the Wings to cure your career problems.

But Modano might be one of those players who really comes around. He's not playing for a declining franchise, he's never been sold out by the Wings and he can escape whatever went on in Dallas. He could come play for a team that would appreciate him, and with the linemates he'll have he can easily put up some numbers and at the very least retire with another respectable season and quite possibly a Cup win. Let's face it, there are very few teams that stand a real shot at winning, and Detroit is one of them.

Detroit also happens to be the only team that contacted him.

Ergo, if he still has a desire to win one last time, he signs with the Wings for whatever they offer.

This. In my mind, Modano would be a fool not to sign here for whatever Detroit offers him. Unless some foolish team throws a 3 mill contract at him, then see ya. I could think of worse things than playing for the Red Wings in the twilight of your career for a million bucks. Hopefully he was wise with his money. :ph34r:

And personally, I'd be REALLY excited to see him in a Wings sweater. 40 or not. My only fear is that he will suck and bear the wrath of LGW'ers for years to come.

Edited by Broken 16

The more I think about it, the better it sounds. Modano with a guy with Hudlers skill on his wing, and a healthy Dano with net front presence and ability in the corners and on the boards has all the makings of a fantastic 3rd line.

The more I think about it, the better it sounds. Modano with a guy with Hudlers skill on his wing, and a healthy Dano with net front presence and ability in the corners and on the boards has all the makings of a fantastic 3rd line.

I can't think of a more potent third line in the NHL.

Eva? :)

Edited by Broken 16

If he does end up in a Wings jersey, which is still very doubtful at this point, my hope is that it doesn't push Filppula down the depth chart. Or, that perhaps the signing will push Filppula to fight really hard for the 2nd line center spot and PP time that will likely go to Modano if he can't do it.

i dont really want this to happen. I mean, we already have a bunch of players on the verge of retiring. i want to see some young guys get a chance in the forward positions, helm and abby did great as youngsters, lets see some more.

however, on defense i would much rather have some older guys for 5th and 6th dmen instead of the young guys we might end up with.

I dont really know how I feel about this. He coud be a solid third line center for us but on the other hand he might just be a 40 year old waste of space. Yes this is his hometown team so it would be cool to finish his career here but I think he should retire and save his legacy.

Honestly how would people here feel if Yzerman went and retired to his hometown Ottawa Senators, its not quite the same but its a similar situation. I feel like he could possibly do our team some good but at the same time he isn't the saem player and for the sake of his legacy he should retire a star

I dont really know how I feel about this. He coud be a solid third line center for us but on the other hand he might just be a 40 year old waste of space. Yes this is his hometown team so it would be cool to finish his career here but I think he should retire and save his legacy.

Honestly how would people here feel if Yzerman went and retired to his hometown Ottawa Senators, its not quite the same but its a similar situation. I feel like he could possibly do our team some good but at the same time he isn't the saem player and for the sake of his legacy he should retire a star

Yzerman was never pushed out the door by anyone, and never would have been. Dallas doesn't understand traditions and the importance of a "face" to the franchise. Modano has given his life to the franchise, and they aren't even giving him one last year when he feels he can still contribute.

Put it this way: did it hurt Gordie's legacy to play in the WHA? Bobby Hull? No, we always think of them as Wings or Hawks.

Mike Modano should retire when he feels like it. I don't think he feels like retiring now. That's why he's keeping the door open.

Do we need Mike Modano? Meaning, will the team be worse off next season if we don't sign him? He's 38 years old. Shouldn't the team focus on getting younger rather than signing older players? We have enough of them on the team already.

Brett Hull did well with mentoring Z and Pavel.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

If he does end up in a Wings jersey, which is still very doubtful at this point, my hope is that it doesn't push Filppula down the depth chart. Or, that perhaps the signing will push Filppula to fight really hard for the 2nd line center spot and PP time that will likely go to Modano if he can't do it.

If anything, his signing will ensure that Filppula will get consistent top 6 minutes.

here is the part of the article I dislike:

"but it's just stunning to imagine the Wings cutting ties with one of their RFA's or giving up on Ritola outright to bring Modano into the fold.

Update: I'm going to say this and see where it goes: if the Wings have to decide to let Drew Miller and Ritola go to sign Modano, here's a question--does Ken Holland try to get Modano to bite on a multi-year contract?"

the bolded part is the part of the article I dislike very much. If kenny does this I will definitely have to question this move. Of course nothing has happened....yet...

Yzerman was never pushed out the door by anyone, and never would have been. Dallas doesn't understand traditions and the importance of a "face" to the franchise. Modano has given his life to the franchise, and they aren't even giving him one last year when he feels he can still contribute.

Put it this way: did it hurt Gordie's legacy to play in the WHA? Bobby Hull? No, we always think of them as Wings or Hawks.

Mike Modano should retire when he feels like it. I don't think he feels like retiring now. That's why he's keeping the door open.

You always think of Gordie as a wing yes, but do you think the people that watched him play in Detroit as fans all that time didn't feel a bit upset when he went to the WHA? I bet it hurt quite a bit.

And how much sweeter would it be too look back and know Gordie played his whole career as a wing? I think it would be sweet.

"They're selling it pretty hard," Modano told ESNPDallas.com. "Having a team like Detroit really interested in me is flattering. I could have some fun playing with some great players and a great organization. There's a lot of upside to it. But for me, I need to figure out in my head what I want to do."

another thing, I hope modano makes up his mind soon so kenny doesn't just sit around on his ass waiting for modano while all the FA that could help the wings are signed away until there is nothing left but garbage

in kenny i trust but he is really starting to irritate me with this loyalty/loosing youth for 40 year olds bulls***

Edited by redwingfan19

Yzerman was never pushed out the door by anyone, and never would have been. Dallas doesn't understand traditions and the importance of a "face" to the franchise

And who exactly do they have that's going to be the recipient of that freed up roster spot anyways? Krys Barch? Toby Petersen? Brian Sutherby? Gimme a break. It doesn't really seem like letting him go makes sense from a hockey standpoint or a financial one for the Stars.

And who exactly do they have that's going to be the recipient of that freed up roster spot anyways? Krys Barch? Toby Petersen? Brian Sutherby? Gimme a break. It doesn't really seem like letting him go makes sense from a hockey standpoint or a financial one for the Stars.

thats right the wings are such a classy org. they would let yzerman play as long as he wanted.

Is it normal for players to talk about an organization interest in you the way Modano does? Seems like all the "not a bad place to be" or "they're selling it pretty hard" is just a way to market himself to other teams. "If Detroit is interested in him then maybe we should consider him."

here is the part of the article I dislike:

"but it's just stunning to imagine the Wings cutting ties with one of their RFA's or giving up on Ritola outright to bring Modano into the fold.

Update: I'm going to say this and see where it goes: if the Wings have to decide to let Drew Miller and Ritola go to sign Modano, here's a question--does Ken Holland try to get Modano to bite on a multi-year contract?"

the bolded part is the part of the article I dislike very much. If kenny does this I will definitely have to question this move. Of course nothing has happened....yet...

Read closer there, that's the bloggers idea, nothing more. Holland will not offer a multi-year contract, plain and simple. He's wise enough to know that we have cap coming off the books next season and we have youngsters like Tatar climbing up the ranks.

Read closer there, that's the bloggers idea, nothing more. Holland will not offer a multi-year contract, plain and simple. He's wise enough to know that we have cap coming off the books next season and we have youngsters like Tatar climbing up the ranks.

i know its the bloggers idea, but I wouldn't put it past kenny

Is it normal for players to talk about an organization interest in you the way Modano does? Seems like all the "not a bad place to be" or "they're selling it pretty hard" is just a way to market himself to other teams. "If Detroit is interested in him then maybe we should consider him."

This is exactly the way I read his comments. It almost feels like he's posturing here, seeing if he can get a better deal somewhere else with better minutes, but maybe it's more showing Dallas that someone still wants him. He could just be bitter too, who knows.

Also, I doubt his jersey number is a huge issue. He could end up wearing #10 or #18... or something. My only true gripe with Modano is that he looks like Jon Heder.

Edited by Jesusberg