• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

This posted on NHL.com about an hour ago...

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=533523

Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this? :hehe:

#2 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

Who's next Hjmarsson(sp) or Niemi?

Doobie-doobie-doo!

#3 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

HAHA... HAHA... HA-EFFING-HA!

#4 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

This posted on NHL.com about an hour ago...

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=533523

Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this? :hehe:

"No more trades will be needed"

-Stan Bowman
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#5 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

******* sucks to be a blackhawk since they won a cup

#6 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Can't suck that hard to be a Hawks fan. They did just win the cup.

#7 Gordon Bombay

Gordon Bombay

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

******* sucks to be a blackhawk since they won a cup

Meh, not really. We knew this was coming even before they won the Cup. The Cup made it pretty east to swallow.

We're going from a powerhouse to a team that is still good. We'll still finish with 95 or more points next season and we're stacking our farm system with quality forwards for the future. Not stars, but we'll be churning quality Versteeg/Ladd type forwards for a long time, and considered we already have the star type guys locked up long term, we're in good shape for the future.

#8 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

Meh, not really. We knew this was coming even before they won the Cup. The Cup made it pretty east to swallow.

We're going from a powerhouse to a team that is still good. We'll still finish with 95 or more points next season and we're stacking our farm system with quality forwards for the future. Not stars, but we'll be churning quality Versteeg/Ladd type forwards for a long time, and considered we already have the star type guys locked up long term, we're in good shape for the future.

I hope after all this is over you stick around this forum. You're more sensible then most people on here.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#9 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

stacking our farm system with quality forwards for the future.

This is a way of not seeing what is actually happening to the team. I mean to be totally honest it took 10 straight garbage years to get the stars you do have now. So I guess every 10 or so years is nice?
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#10 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

And don't forget they're not going to be drafting as high anymore either. This could get interesting.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#11 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

What gets me is how much Atlanta keeps giving the Hawks. Don't other GM's know that the Hawks HAVE to trade these guys? Doesn't that allow them bargaining power to drive down the cost of Ladd (a fringe second line player)? Or for that matter, Byufglien (who's never had a 40 point season)?

Atlanta has basically restocked Chicago's fourth line and their farm system for SUPPORTING players. Vishnevsky (who equals Lehtonen) and a second rounder for Ladd? Its rediculous.

Atlanta traded most of what they got for Kovalchuk (THE Franchise) and Lehtonen (former franchise goaltender) for depth players. It's like Phaneuf for B.Burke's odd's and end's.

Chicago should be ecstatic.

#12 Gordon Bombay

Gordon Bombay

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

This is a way of not seeing what is actually happening to the team. I mean to be totally honest it took 10 straight garbage years to get the stars you do have now. So I guess every 10 or so years is nice?

Huh? I don't understand your point.

For forwards, we have Kane, Toews, and Hossa all locked up long term. We don't need to produce star forwards for a while. All we need is to produce quality forwards to pair with them, and we're setting ourselves up great for that.

No offense, but I kind of feel you you're the one who isn't seeing what's happening with the team. At the same time we're losing these guys, we're getting back guys who should be just as good as the guys we're giving up in a few years.

I think the future looks very good for us. We may not win the Cup in the next couple years, but we'll still be good. Then in a few years, we'll have a bunch of these Ladd/Versteeg type forwards producing in the NHL. Also, Kane and Toews will just then be hitting their primes.

In fact, I think these moves are helping us long-term, not hurting us.

Edited by Gordon Bombay, 01 July 2010 - 08:28 PM.

#13 Gordon Bombay

Gordon Bombay

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

Chicago should be ecstatic.

I'm definitely really happy the way this offseason is playing out, all things considered. I was worried that the lack of leverage would cause us to give these guys up for nothing. I really like the quality we've gotten back.

I mean obviously I wish we could have just kept the team the way it was, but this isn't the worst thing in the world. We're getting back several QUALITY pieces and doing a great job of insuring that we're good for the future.

Of course there are the bandwagon fans who don't understand what's going on and are bitching about Bowman (I actually saw some guy threatening to stop watching again because we traded "the future best power forward in the game" in Byfuglien), but the knowledgable fans are very pleased with how this is turning out.

#14 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

Right. Knowledgable fans should know that Chicago has done incredible given their situation. Morin, Vishnevsky, a 1st, 2 2nd's, and players to fill spots of the departed is an incredible return for the players traded. Any true fan or judge of talent should realize that.

That said, it stinks as a Wings fan to see it be so easy for the Hawks. It also burns be up that the Thrashers continue to burn theit franchise to the ground with bad hockey decision after bad hockey decision.

#15 Gordon Bombay

Gordon Bombay

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

Right. Knowledgable fans should know that Chicago has done incredible given their situation. Morin, Vishnevsky, a 1st, 2 2nd's, and players to fill spots of the departed is an incredible return for the players traded. Any true fan or judge of talent should realize that.

That said, it stinks as a Wings fan to see it be so easy for the Hawks. It also burns be up that the Thrashers continue to burn theit franchise to the ground with bad hockey decision after bad hockey decision.

Yeah, the Thrashers are definitely helping us out. Apparently they put a lot of stock into Stanley Cup experience. I think Thrashers' fans are going to be pretty dissapointed with Byfuglien in particular.

#16 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hahahaha

Actually it is fantastic to see the Hawks lose all of their depth guys 2 weeks after winning the Cup.

Yea, they still have a good team but there is no question that they took a hit. You don't win a Cup without depth guys and Chicago lost almost all of them.

Keep telling yourself that it's not so bad. That you are restocking for the future.
Do or do not. There is no try

#17 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Agreed.

The style that Big Buff plays is similar to Holmstrom (but bigger and younger, yet less skilled in that area. As a Wings fan, I love Homer. He is the best at what he does. But if Holmstrom was not surronded by Hall of Famers his whole career he probably does not end up being that player. Even if he did, his game take players of a certain skill level to reach its maximum (Datsyuks puck control, Lidstroms point shot).

Buff is the same style player. From what I believe I know about him, he has never shown the ability to consistantly put up points, let alone be this dominating force everybody thinks he will be. Even with good players around him. So going to Atlanta with Nik Antropov running the show, probably isn't going to be his coming out party.

#18 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

Lol at the silly Blackhawk fans that think they need to come here and preach about hockey. Come back in 15 years noobs.

Edited by Broken 16, 01 July 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#19 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

BTW, I am not a Hawks fan. I do believe they will take a hit. You can't replace half the team and think the chemistry will be the same. The skill level right now, after the trades, is lessened as well. But for the situation they were in they've done fantastic.

#20 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Not everything Chicago is getting in return is guaranteed to be an NHL player. Some might pan out, but not all. And the 2nd rounders are a crap shoot. Chicago had to give up real NHL talent for 'maybe they will... maybe they won't pan out' type players.

And considering how poorly managed Chicago is, who's to say they don't continue giving away their proven talent. Chicago have always been 'loose' with their talent. This is going to catch up to them as they don't have any top 3 picks to rely on the past few years.