• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Free Agency Thread

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

No, Salary is pro-rated and is averaged out. The cap hit for that contract would be $5.75.

Okay. So how does it work when a team front loads a contract??

Actually, I teach English. But it's only because the job market blows in America for recent grads now and I don't have to pay taxes here.

Haven't been asked if I was a hockey player yet, but have been asked multiple times if I play basketball :P

I loved Tokyo when I lived there Roppongi FTW.

Toronto is stacking up. Burke is doing a hell of a job

Meh, I think 3 mil is too much for Armstrong. If Burke didn't jump the gun so fast, he'd probably end up signing for 2 mil. He's a solid guy but 3 mil is quite a lot for his services.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Meh, I think 3 mil is too much for Armstrong. If Burke didn't jump the gun so fast, he'd probably end up signing for 2 mil. He's a solid guy but 3 mil is quite a lot for his services.

The way I look at it is that Toronto fans haven't had much to cheer about in a while. Burke is doing his best to put out a product that the people of Ontario can be proud of and IMO he is doing a good job. Look back to the Kessel signing then the Phaneuf shocker. They've made some good moves to try and put together a good team....definately big risk moves though.

It works the same way - the important number - the "cap hit" is the cost of the total contract divided by the number of years.

The individual years are not relevant when discussing "what can X team afford?"

The incentive for the player in a 'front loaded' deal is that he gets the majority of his money up front by agreeing to a longer term to reduce the 'cap hit'. The team may be paying him $10 Million for the year, but depending on the cap hit, the contract can cost less against the salary cap even though it costs $10 Million in actual dollars.

Okay. So how does it work when a team front loads a contract??

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

It works the same way - the important number - the "cap hit" is the cost of the total contract divided by the number of years.

The individual years are not relevant when discussing "what can X team afford?"

The incentive for the player in a 'front loaded' deal is that he gets the majority of his money up front by agreeing to a longer term to reduce the 'cap hit'. The team may be paying him $10 Million for the year, but depending on the cap hit, the contract can cost less against the salary cap even though it costs $10 Million in actual dollars.

ohh okay. thanks for clearing that up man.