• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Free Agency Thread

Rate this topic

Well, it's the big day. Even though we obviously won't see much along the Wings front, I thought I'd take the liberty to start a free agency thread for everyone to post new transactions into. Proceed!

Big deals so far:

Gonchar to Ott - Three years 5.5 mil

Tanguay back to Calgary - One year 1.7 mil

Michalek to Pittsburgh - 5 years, 4 mil per

Armstrong to Toronto - 3 years, 3 mil per

Edited by ShanahanMan

Good God no. Why is he a fit? He's old. He's soft. Not what we need. At all.

I absolutly do see the need to add some grit as most everyone on this board seems to say and Ken Holland has mentioned in a few articles but personally I think Modano would work pretty nicely here as an alternative. It would keep Abdelkader on the 4th line and force the Wings to most likely ship out either Miller or Ritola (most likely Miller). If you could sign Modano for $1M (I dont know if that's possible or not - if it's not then forget it) then you're really only spending an additional say 400k over Miller's potential salary of say ~600k. I think lines like the following would work really well.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen

Hudler - Modano - Cleary

Abdelkader - Helm - Eaves

Draper, Ritola

It also gives you the opportunity to shift Bertuzzi, Cleary, and Hudler around based on how those lines are all working at any given time. Modano could also see some PP time on the second unit. I think when Abdelkader and Helm are skating, crashing and banging they make up a very good 4th line tandem. They aren't the biggest guys in the world and aren't going to strike fear but they can be very effective. Add Eaves into the mix, when he is playing well, and I think we have a pretty dynamic 4th line that can skate, forecheck, and chip in some goals.

I just read a little blurb hinting the Wings might be interested in Paul Mara. Probably complete b.s., but I would welcome that dude's beard.

I'd be down for Mara if he comes cheapish and is healthy. His beard fits with this team.

Good God no. Why is he a fit? He's old. He's soft. Not what we need. At all.

Why is he a fit? He's old. He's soft.

True, he's not what we need, but if what we need is young and tough, then he does fit in with what we have since if we had what we lacked we wouldn't be needing it.

I need a Motrin now. +

craig custance twitter:

"Have heard Detroit mentioned as a destination for Boogaard but was told he's not a part of their plan today."

I hope he isnt coveted today like Orr was last year, if he is a secondary player like he should be (Thanks Burkey) we'll sign him sometime this week.

Anyone else think Jay McKee would be a decent pick up if he were to sign for a similar amount as last year (850k)? Not sure if he'd do it as he was collecting his buyout money from St. Louis but as a shot blocking 6th d-man - thoughts?

So I turn on Ch. 215 on Directv, hoping to at least see something happening on the bottom of the screen on the NHL network. Instead, there's a 70's-type Don Cherry, yaking away. Even if you stuck a pin in him then, he'd probably pffft and ppfffart away like some colorful, mishapen balloon.

Ah well. Maybe later they'll have some real news?

So I turn on Ch. 215 on Directv, hoping to at least see something happening on the bottom of the screen on the NHL network. Instead, there's a 70's-type Don Cherry, yaking away. Even if you stuck a pin in him then, he'd probably pffft and ppfffart away like some colorful, mishapen balloon.

Ah well. Maybe later they'll have some real news?

I'm pretty sure free agency doesn't OFFICIALLY begin until 12:00PM(noon) EST for the NHL

No, he's not what you want. He's still capable of being a .5 ppg player and would fit perfectly on the third line.

No. He's not what DETROIT needs. We already have scorers and plenty of them. Players who put up points is not what we are lacking.

No. He's not what DETROIT needs. We already have scorers and plenty of them. Players who put up points is not what we are lacking.

not to mention we already have a TON a veteran leadership already.

No thanks.

Im all for storybook endings but modano makes just as little sense as re signing maltby

Edited by redwingfan19

I hope he isnt coveted today like Orr was last year, if he is a secondary player like he should be (Thanks Burkey) we'll sign him sometime this week.

I liked the "hes not part of their plans TODAY" bit. :ph34r:

I just hope we sign at least a defenceman today. Or a scoring veteran for Grand Rapids.

I have to agree... when healthy, we have PLENTY of scorers, we really just need a good, solid, physical 3rd pairing d-man and mean SOB to "keep the flies off"(Babcock TM)

I'd love to see Modano finish his career here, but without at least 2 guys being traded... it doesn't make sense (and even then it might not make sense, because who do you trade?? - you're essentially giving up youth and potential for one year)