• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Free Agency Thread

Rate this topic

Some very strange signings today. Pittsburgh spends $9M on defense, yet their best winger is Kunitz with his 32 points. I know Crosby and Malkin are good, but they're certainly not Lemieux-esque (capable of making 50 goal scorers out of average players). I would've thought they'd sign a defenseman to replace Gonchar as well as a decent winger (Frolov, Kariya, Whitney) capable of generating at least SOME offense.

Also, Yzerman had a very strong day. He got rid of a pretty bad contract, resigned a franchise centerpiece, picked up a good goalie at a terrific price, and still has $25M in cap space.

Worst signing of the day has to be Boogaard. $1.6M for four years for a player who hasn't scored a goal since the 2005-2006 season, averages just over 5 minutes a night, and has yet to play a full NHL season. Oh, and he only has 18 fighting majors in the last two years. Ouch!

That's just.... :blink:

Also, Yzerman had a very strong day. He got rid of a pretty bad contract, resigned a franchise centerpiece, picked up a good goalie at a terrific price, and still has $25M in cap space.

He might have a lot of cap space, but he's only got 6 forwards signed, plus 5 defensemen (2 of which were not regulars) for the coming season.

I thought he went a little long on St. Louis.

Yzerman will likely save a lot of the cap space for Stamkos next year; he's going to command a pretty hefty salary. Also, at least they've got many of the big players signed for next year. He inherited some pretty nasty contracts (Lecavalier, Malone), but Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Malone, Ohlund, and Hedman are all signed for the time being. I don't know much about their prospects, but it seems they need to mostly bolster their offense by adding depth and complementary players. They could definitely use some help on the blueline.

Also, according to the Thrasher's GM, Kovalchuk turned down a long term offer worth around $100M. The KHL also reportedly offered him $42M for three years. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to be Kovalchuk would really like to join a contender here in the NHL.

Yzerman will likely save a lot of the cap space for Stamkos next year; he's going to command a pretty hefty salary. Also, at least they've got many of the big players signed for next year. He inherited some pretty nasty contracts (Lecavalier, Malone), but Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Malone, Ohlund, and Hedman are all signed for the time being. I don't know much about their prospects, but it seems they need to mostly bolster their offense by adding depth and complementary players. They could definitely use some help on the blueline.

Also, according to the Thrasher's GM, Kovalchuk turned down a long term offer worth around $100M. The KHL also reportedly offered him $42M for three years. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to be Kovalchuk would really like to join a contender here in the NHL.

You'd think that $100 million would make it a bit easier to play for the Thrashers.

Nabokov is basically left with one destination:

Washington.

Ottawa, Philadelphia, or the Isles could still sign him though, but:

Ottawa would then be stuck with LeClaire's $3.8m deal and have to figure out what to do with it.

Philadelphia would have to move one of Leighton or Boucher, be it a trade or waiving and almost certainly losing them.

The Isles would have to either move Dipietro's 4.5m deal or Roloson's $2.5 deal out of town somehow.

Washington has Varlamov, and Nabokov would be the perfect mentor for him. The only questions are money, would Nabokov play in Washington, and is Nabokov interested?

Given that just about every team with a goalie worse than Nabokov has a younger and/or cheaper goalie they are developing as their starter (Mason, Ward, Niemi, Lehtonen, Quick, Rinne, Halak, Niitymaki, Smith, Gustavsson) so Nabokov is out of luck unless a team manages to negotiate a deal with him that hinges on clearing space, such as Ottawa getting Nabokov cheap and burying LeClaire in the minors.

I'll call it an E4, Nabokov to Washington.

Has any one mentioned that Chris Mason has signed with Atlanta. I just briefly caught it on the bottom news line on the nhl network.

3.7 million over two years I just read.

Edited by miller76

It would be something if Stevie decided to try to use the remaining cap space to throw at Kovalchuk. If he ever were to sign there, it would be a true indicator that he's about the money, not winning.

I think that he if was after money he would just go back to Russia where he would get that 10M/year tax free or something like that while living in his home country. If he's about winning he wants to go to a possible Cup contender of course and that means smaller salary. Tampa Bay isn't either of those options, so I really doubt it.

I saw that earlier..its mentioned somewhere in the middle of the thread

Thanks. I somehow missed that one earlier while reading everything.

Atlanta is trying to build themselves a team I see.

Guest Heaten

Defensemen made a killing today. Consider this: Nick Lidstrom makes only $1.2M more than Paul Martin, and Dan Hamhuis makes $750K more than Brad Stuart.

Kronwall is damn good bargain I decided.

Why not someone like Sydor for our 6th d-man? Or Wozniewski? Or Eriksson? Or Cullimore? Or Hutchinson? Or Strudwick? Or Hnidy? Or Mottau? Or Boynton? Or Mara? Or Eaton? Or Salei (injury could reduce his previous price-tag)

Dare I also add this name in: Schneider??? As a mentor for Ericsson and Kindl as well as a 6/7 d-man

These are all just options, I was just thinking about how we were minimizing our options down to a choice few when there are quite a few veterans with size out there who made very little before. This is pretty much that list.

I gotta say, I threw Schneider in as a joke, but imagine if he wanted to play one more season around 850k-1 mil max. He'd be pretty much the perfect idea because he can mentor the kids and be a steady hand on the 3rd pairing. He can also be thrown on the PP and be an extra cannon back there.

Discuss!!!

Adam Burish (F) Chicago Blackhawks to Dallas Stars .

Tim Jackman (F) New York Islanders to Calgary Flames

Raitis Ivanans (F) Los Angeles Kings to Calgary Flames

Matt Cullen (F) Ottawa Senators to Minnesota Wild

Eric Nystrom (F) Calgary Flames to Minnesota Wild.

Not sure if these have been put on before.

Arty still available!!!

Adam Burish (F) Chicago Blackhawks to Dallas Stars .

Tim Jackman (F) New York Islanders to Calgary Flames

Raitis Ivanans (F) Los Angeles Kings to Calgary Flames

Matt Cullen (F) Ottawa Senators to Minnesota Wild

Eric Nystrom (F) Calgary Flames to Minnesota Wild.

Not sure if these have been put on before.

Arty still available!!!

asham too

Here's a quote from Holland off Mlive:

"As we get closer to camp, it would be ideal to sign a tough, agitating center or another player we think adds a dimension we need to fit as a complimentary player," Holland said.

ZENON KONOPKA is your man!

agreed, it is looking that way, i would have preferred a bit better than that but konopka has a higher chance of being around then than asham does.

Kronwall is damn good bargain I decided.

If he plays to his potential he is. However if he plays like he did for the second half of 2009/10, then no.

ALl things considered, I'm happy with the deal. :thumbup:

If he plays to his potential he is. However if he plays like he did for the second half of 2009/10, then no.

ALl things considered, I'm happy with the deal. :thumbup:

With all these overpayments coming up I hope Kindl and or Ericsson and or someone else develop well enough to make Kronwall expendable by the time his contract comes up.

Why not someone like Sydor for our 6th d-man? Or Wozniewski? Or Eriksson? Or Cullimore? Or Hutchinson? Or Strudwick? Or Hnidy? Or Mottau? Or Boynton? Or Mara? Or Eaton? Or Salei (injury could reduce his previous price-tag)

Dare I also add this name in: Schneider??? As a mentor for Ericsson and Kindl as well as a 6/7 d-man

These are all just options, I was just thinking about how we were minimizing our options down to a choice few when there are quite a few veterans with size out there who made very little before. This is pretty much that list.

I gotta say, I threw Schneider in as a joke, but imagine if he wanted to play one more season around 850k-1 mil max. He'd be pretty much the perfect idea because he can mentor the kids and be a steady hand on the 3rd pairing. He can also be thrown on the PP and be an extra cannon back there.

Discuss!!!

I talked to Sydor today. His first option kinda got canceled on him with the days events, so I defiantly through the pitch to him to go to Detroit.

Defensemen made a killing today. Consider this: Nick Lidstrom makes only $1.2M more than Paul Martin, and Dan Hamhuis makes $750K more than Brad Stuart.

and people give Kenny Holland crap for his signings... people are just never happy...

We should be grateful to have such an amazing GM... damn those deals look good in perspective...

Two words; "ZENON KONOPKA "

Anyone know his price range?

I'd still rather have Brad Winchester

Discuss!!!

I saw a rumor of Mara being a possibility for us. I'd give him a chance.

6a00d83451b84f69e20115705d359f970b-.jpg