• Please log in to reply
1349 replies to this topic

#1141 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

I think Kyle Wellwood would take that offer.

:lol: You mean Kyle Wellfed?

#1142 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

Maybe we could lure back Tkachunk.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1143 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

via Helene Elliott tweet,

Kovalchuk says no to Kings. Lombardi: “We took our best shot to meet his needs and the team’s.”

added 6:09pm, via Helene Elliott of the Fabulous Forum,

Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi said Sunday afternoon that the high-scoring free agent decided against joining the Kings, who had targeted him as the productive winger they urgently need and a marquee player who might generate some buzz around town.

“We took our best shot to meet his needs and the team’s,” Lombardi said in an email.

He would not elaborate on where the Kings’ offer fell short or where Kovalchuk might be headed.

To the KHL me thinks that one goes.

#1144 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

To the KHL me thinks that one goes.

Yep...and don't let the door hit you in the ass either.

#1145 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

He can take Frolov with him for all I care.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1146 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

Why is it that Kovalchuk is so heavily speculated to go to the KHL? He turned down a 12 year, $102M contract from Atlanta, he's got a 10 year, $100M contract from the Islanders sitting on the table now, and the KHL offered him a 3 year contract worth $42M. He hasn't signed any of them! What part of that screams greedy Russian to anyone?

#1147 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

Some ppl still out there, i think we shoudl make a trade and pursue sutton
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#1148 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Why is it that Kovalchuk is so heavily speculated to go to the KHL? He turned down a 12 year, $102M contract from Atlanta, he's got a 10 year, $100M contract from the Islanders sitting on the table now, and the KHL offered him a 3 year contract worth $42M. He hasn't signed any of them! What part of that screams greedy Russian to anyone?

It looks like Kovy is unsatisfied with the offers, possibly wanting more money. Realistically though, it could be that he is not happy with the teams who are offering.

Really we don't know which is the case until he makes a decision.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#1149 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

Why is it that Kovalchuk is so heavily speculated to go to the KHL? He turned down a 12 year, $102M contract from Atlanta, he's got a 10 year, $100M contract from the Islanders sitting on the table now, and the KHL offered him a 3 year contract worth $42M. He hasn't signed any of them! What part of that screams greedy Russian to anyoneplayer who simply doesn't want to play on a bad team, regardless of his nationality to anyone?

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#1150 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

It looks like Kovy is unsatisfied with the offers, possibly wanting more money. Realistically though, it could be that he is not happy with the teams who are offering.

That may be confirmed due to the fact that apparently, his only other options are the Devils and Islanders.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1151 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

Maybe we could lure back Tkachunk.

I certainly hope not!

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#1152 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

I guess my point is that there is no possible way he or his agent could be expecting more money per year (KHL is offering $14M/year) or more money in the long term ($102M from Atlanta; $100M from NYI). The fact that he didn't sign contracts like those right away indicate to me that money is not his primary motive. To me, it indicates that he's looking to sign a contract that pays him well on a competitive, non-bottom-dwelling team. A greedy player solely interested in the most money would take any of those three contracts and run with them.

#1153 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:23 AM

That may be confirmed due to the fact that apparently, his only other options are the Devils and Islanders.

It makes ya scratch your head as to which teams he'd prefer to play for, and if he'd be willing to take a paycut?

#1154 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

It makes ya scratch your head as to which teams he'd prefer to play for, and if he'd be willing to take a paycut?

I'd rather play for the Devils than the Isles, but the Kings over the Devils any day. Kovy, on the other hand, is taking a different approach.

#1155 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

I guess my point is that there is no possible way he or his agent could be expecting more money per year (KHL is offering $14M/year) or more money in the long term ($102M from Atlanta; $100M from NYI). The fact that he didn't sign contracts like those right away indicate to me that money is not his primary motive. To me, it indicates that he's looking to sign a contract that pays him well on a competitive, non-bottom-dwelling team. A greedy player solely interested in the most money would take any of those three contracts and run with them.

Agreed.

I wonder if Holland had even spoken to Kovalchuk's agent?..I get the impression Kovalchuk is waiting for 1, or 2 teams that he'd prefer to be on to make him an offer.

#1156 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

:lol: You mean Kyle Wellfed?

We call him Tubby, he seemed to do better once he gained a little weight back. Good player though if he could be had for cheap. Don't see him with Detroit though.

#1157 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

I would have to praise the Kings and Lombardi for sticking to their game plan. Kovy's demands are ridiculous, and were making it to where the Kings would have to abandon this plan that has already been in place. You would think he would want a better team around him.

I hope he goes to the KHL. I am over him.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#1158 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

We call him Tubby, he seemed to do better once he gained a little weight back. Good player though if he could be had for cheap. Don't see him with Detroit though.

Don't you mean once he lost weight?

#1159 BUHdactyl

BUHdactyl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:45 AM

You really can't say that LA isn't a good team. They have depth, youth, they made the playoffs last year and they will only get better. Kovalchuk would have fit in there, at least far better than with the Islanders or Devils. KHL for sure.

#1160 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:45 AM

Agreed.

I wonder if Holland had even spoken to Kovalchuk's agent?..I get the impression Kovalchuk is waiting for 1, or 2 teams that he'd prefer to be on to make him an offer.

Agree with both you and Yzerman191. It certainly makes you wonder what he's thinking...man I would LOVE to have him on the wings. For the right price and minimal impact on our depth....I can dream right?

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!