• Please log in to reply
1349 replies to this topic

#1161 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

Wasn't Kovy the one who was going to the next Olympics whether the league liked it or not? Maybe he is trying to get it in writing that he will be excused for those games, and if he can't get that in the NHL, he will sign a shorter deal with the KHL.

I'm just speculating here. He has gotten a killer offer from the Kings, who are up-and-coming. I believe the Devils also offered him a nice sum. I don't see money as the thing that is holding him back, nor the quality of the team. I could be wrong on this. Much has been said about FA players and I'm having trouble keeping it all in my head.

Also on the FA line of thought: Has anyone heard anything about Kariya? I'm curious as to whether or not he's had any offers or is considering anything.

#1162 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

kovy is waiting for sutton to sign so he can go to the opposite conference
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#1163 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,962 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:13 AM

kovy is waiting for sutton to sign so he can go to the opposite conference

Sidenote, I always enjoy your avatars :thumbup:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1164 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

Kariya may be waiting to see what Selanne does.I remember reading somewhere about Kariya and Selanne wanting to re-unite.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1165 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:30 AM

I would have to praise the Kings and Lombardi for sticking to their game plan. Kovy's demands are ridiculous, and were making it to where the Kings would have to abandon this plan that has already been in place. You would think he would want a better team around him.

I hope he goes to the KHL. I am over him.

Same here. I'd be bitter, but I don't want the Kings to have to sell the farm to get the greedy jerk, so I, too, am over it. Hmph. I was really hoping he'd sign with them...they're the only California team I like.

I don't know what the heck he's thinking. If he were greedy, he would've taken the Thrashers' offer. To hold out like this for the money is borderline delusional, if you ask me; nobody has that much money. If that's not the case and what he really wants is to play for a competitive team, why the heck didn't he sign with the Kings? Seems like the perfect situation - he'll still get paid a buttload but with a team that'll be able to make playoffs runs. That ain't gonna happen with the Islanders, that's for sure. Third thought is he'll just go to the KHL and rake in some mega bucks and assure himself a spot in the Olympics. Frankly, that's making the most sense to me right now.

The only other thing I can think of is that he realllly didn't like somebody in the Thrashers organization, so he didn't want to take their offer no matter what but is trying to squeeze the same amount (or more) out of another team because he can. Also, one thing I know he's not doing is sitting around wishing his favorite team would call him up and offer him $5 mil a year so he could accept and play for them just because he likes them so much...nobody's that cool, sorry.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#1166 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

Let Kovalchuk go to the KHL, where he can hone his skills until the next Olympics.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1167 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,962 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

Kariya may be waiting to see what Selanne does.I remember reading somewhere about Kariya and Selanne wanting to re-unite.

Maybe they can both come to Detroit on one year, $1 million deals, with much better results this time.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1168 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

zherdev in negotiations with the leafs and the sabres
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#1169 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

Zherdev can just stay his lazy ass in the KHL.He was too good for the NHL last year.Once you bolt for another league such as the KHL,you shouldn't be allowed back.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1170 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

Zherdev can just stay his lazy ass in the KHL.He was too good for the NHL last year.Once you bolt for another league such as the KHL,you shouldn't be allowed back.

Don't tell UK_redwing, he thinks this guys an enforcer prob and wants him here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg1VQWLfgvs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNGxPOmqMo
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#1171 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Wasn't Kovy the one who was going to the next Olympics whether the league liked it or not?

That was Ovechkin

Posted Image

#1172 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

That was Ovechkin

"good" for him, he will screw his team over if the nhl doesn't go

Edited by jollymania, 05 July 2010 - 12:12 PM.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#1173 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Nikolai Zherdev does not sound like a Brian Burke type player,but neither does Maxim Afinogenov,so who knows.I'm thinking Burke will sign Raffi Torres very soon.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1174 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

Kovalchuk looks to be staying in Jersey with a 7 year, $60 million contract.

#1175 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

Agreed.

I wonder if Holland had even spoken to Kovalchuk's agent?..I get the impression Kovalchuk is waiting for 1, or 2 teams that he'd prefer to be on to make him an offer.

Piiiiiiipe dream.

#1176 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

Kovalchuk looks to be staying in Jersey with a 7 year, $60 million contract.

Wow... craziness. So like 8.570 per year, eesh.

#1177 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

They will regret that in the long run.He's proven time and time again that he can't produce under pressure situations.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1178 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

They will regret that in the long run.He's proven time and time again that he can't produce under pressure situations.

From what I've seen out of him in the playoffs, I think he just tries too hard to do it all on his own. If he learns to play a better team player, his game will be better overall. That being said, he's still the 2nd leading goal scorer behind Ovy since Alex entered the league.

Edit: How can they even fit that contract in? They have 4.7 million left and 18 players signed. Maybe if they shed Zubrus, but even then... maybe Rolston too.

Edited by Jesusberg, 05 July 2010 - 03:59 PM.

#1179 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

Meh playing in Atlanta he hasn't really been forced to play in pressure situations. 8 million isnt unheard of for a guy like him. The pens have 2 players making that much

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#1180 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I'm not saying he's a horrible player I'm just saying I don't think he's worth 8 mil.Jesusberg made a good point in pointing out that he really tried to carry New Jersey on his back,but he's got guys like Parise and Zajac who are highly skilled players as well.He's probably used to being sort of forced into carrying a team on his back from his Thrasher years,but he's got a sold team surrounding him in New Jersey.He needs to let everyone do their role,instead of trying to do everything.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien