1349 replies to this topic

#1181 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

At least kovy will prob have more run-ins with avery
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#1182 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

I see reports stating LA is out of the race for Gagne as well now.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#1183 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I saw it on TSN today.

While the Detroit Red Wings continue to pursue unrestricted free agent Mike Modano, the NHL's All-Time leading scorer amongst American-born players has yet to make a decision on his future.

"They're selling it pretty hard," Modano told ESNPDallas.com. "Having a team like Detroit really interested in me is flattering. I could have some fun playing with some great players and a great organization. There's a lot of upside to it. But for me, I need to figure out in my head what I want to do."

A native of nearby Livonia, Michigan, the 40-year old Modano has spent his entire 20 year NHL career with the Stars organization, helping the team capture the lone Stanley Cup title in franchise history in 1999. He was informed by the Stars last week that he would not be offered a contract for the upcoming season, however Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk kept the door open to a possible return to the organization for Modano in an executive level.

Modano had 14 goals and 16 assists in 59 games with the Stars last season. In 1459 career games he has 557 and 802 assists.

"He's a local boy, a Hall of Famer, yeah, I'm interested," Detroit general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press last week. "We've had good success through the years in getting the most out of players that are nearing the end."

Per TSN

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#1184 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I saw it on TSN today.

Per TSN

I'm still not sure how I feel about Modano. Do we want him for one year at the cost of Ritola or Miller?
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#1185 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

I'm still not sure how I feel about Modano. Do we want him for one year at the cost of Ritola or Miller?

Modano strengthens our 3rd line. Miller will likely be the odd man out because Ritola is going to be given every chance to succeed. Of course Modano may retire so all we can do is wait and see what happens.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#1186 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

I like Miller, but he is just too damn redundant on this team. You already have a large crop of your forwards being defensive minded. On the bottom six you have Eaves, Abdelkader, Helm, and Draper... 4 of your 6 bottom end players are all defensive minded first and foremost. You need to be able to roll some balance down there. I'd give Ritola a chance over keeping Miller. He is defensive, that's it, he's not overly gritty, or aggressive, and he can't put up a lot of points. You get a guy like Modano, let Miller walk. Then you see what Ritola can provide going into the preseason.

#1187 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

I like Miller, but he is just too damn redundant on this team.

Agreed. Miller is essentially a left-handed Eaves, minus the rocket of a shot that Eaves possesses. He helped revamp the PK, so I'll give props there, but it'd be nice to add even more offensive depth to the team. If we can add Modano we have, perhaps, the deepest set of Top 9 forwards in the league.

#1188 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

Niemi has filed for arbitration.

source

#1189 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

I think I may fall over laughing if they lose Niemi.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1190 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

I think I may fall over laughing if they lose Niemi.

me too. I hope that their only resort is Huet!

#1191 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

I don't usually wish bad on other teams, but the Chi Town trolls have me annoyed still. Let's hope they have to ride Huet and the Wings take the Central crown back :thumbup:

#1192 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

At least kovy will prob have more run-ins with avery

Him and fatso can stick up for each other.

#1193 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

Red Wings "pretty close" to signing Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller, and Derek Meech; not close to deals with Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm.

Source

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings are close to signing forwards Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller and defenseman Derek Meech, three of their restricted free agents, to one-year contracts.

“I’ve talked a lot with them the last two, three days and feel we’re pretty close,’’ Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

Eaves and Miller did not file for salary arbitration by Monday’s deadline. Meech filed for arbitration, but it appears he’ll have a contract well before his hearing.

Holland said he’s not close to signing his other two restricted free agents, forwards Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader. They likely will be re-signed later this summer, possibly to long-term deals.

Holland said he hadn't spoken with the agents for forward Kirk Maltby and defenseman Andreas Lilja in a week or so. Both are exploring the market.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#1194 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326655

According to a report, it appears that Ilya Kovalchuk is on the verge of re-signing with the New Jersey Devils.

The New York Post is reporting that the unrestricted free agent, who played the final 27 games of last season with the Devils, is going to sign a seven-year, $60 million contract with the team soon.

The Los Angeles Kings dropped out of the running for Kovalchuk on Sunday, while the New York Islanders indicated some interest in the Russian sniper but reportedly never made a formal offer.

Kovalchuk's agent, Jay Grossman, sent a Twitter message on Monday that stated "Ilya Kovalchuk looking to make decision on his future today".

Kovalchuk, 27, was the best forward available when free agency opened last Thursday. He scored 41 goals and 44 assists last year in a season split between the Devils and the Atlanta Thrashers. He was dealt to New Jersey on Feb. 4 along with Anssi Salmela and a 2nd-round draft pick in exchange for Niclas Bergfors, Johnny Oduya, Patrice Cormier, as well as New Jersey's first and second-round 2010 draft picks.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#1195 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Meh, so much for the excitement.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1196 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

I wish Kovalchuk would just go to the KHL already.

Every year there is a player, you just get tired of hearing their name. He is it this year for me. Last year it was Heatley, the year before it was Sundin or Hossa.

#1197 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

Agreed. Miller is essentially a left-handed Eaves, minus the rocket of a shot that Eaves possesses. He helped revamp the PK, so I'll give props there, but it'd be nice to add even more offensive depth to the team. If we can add Modano we have, perhaps, the deepest set of Top 9 forwards in the league.

Eaves is more physical, skates much faster and has more potential for offense down the road. Miller really is just an average 4th line type player, we're not used to seeing bottom 6 players fill a PK role because our stars used to play it, Miller is nothing special on the PK

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#1198 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

Blues re-sign Jaroslav Halak to a 4-year deal worth $15 million.

#1199 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

Blues re-sign Jaroslav Halak to a 4-year deal worth $15 million.

I think thats a good deal for both sides. The Blues are over due for consistency in net.

#1200 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Blues just resigned Cam Jannsen as well. One year deal. Via twitter 600,000 bucks

Edited by miller76, 06 July 2010 - 01:52 PM.