• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Is Vancouver the team to beat?

Rate this topic

TSN said at least 3 thousand times yesterday that Vancouver vaulted past Chicago as the team to beat because they added a couple of good defensemen in Ballard and Hamhuis and Malhotra to their third line. Meanwhile Chicago removed every player on their team that made less than 5 million dollars :P

The question at hand, is Vancouver the team to beat in the West now? Or is this just Canadian sports coverage being overly hyped up for the Canadian team?

Thoughts?

Guest screwdahawks

The Canucks are supposed to be the team to beat every year apparently.

LOL I was thinking the same thing. They sure got the hype last year.

They got better in all the areas they needed to and already had a good team... I wouldn't say ANY team is the "team to beat" as there are too many variables that can drastically change things, but they are definitely a scarier team to play today, than they were June 30th...

They sure did, but Chicago definately got the most hype. Chicago was the team to beat last year in the West.

They've improved and should be one of the favorites in my opinion. But definitely not 'the team to beat'.

So then who do you think is the team to beat in the West?

Chicago is not going to be it... then who will it be? Vancouver and San Jose seem to be the choices...

I'm not a fan on preseason projections at all. But if I had to choose a team I would go with Vancouver in paper at least. Although I would just throw the wings, nucks, sharks, kings, and Chicago as the class of the west rather then just one team.

Edited by Carman

I'm not a fan on preseason projections at all. But if I had to choose a team I would go with Vancouver in paper at least. Although I would just throw the wings, nicks, sharks kings, and Chicago as the class of the west rather then just one team.

You really can't discount what LA may do either if they land Kovalchuk...

Chicago and San Jose were the teams to beat last year with their acquisitions (San Jose's always the favorite. Every. Year.), as were Philly and Pittsburgh (Then along came New Jersey at the trade deadline). I'd say Vancouver's definitely much better, but Luongo has to start performing better in the playoffs if they want to consider them the team to beat.

You really can't discount what LA may do either if they land Kovalchuk...

This is very true, though they are not built top to bottom like Chicago was last year they would have some firepower on both ends of the ice. Not enough to be called favourites. Yet I would not count them out.

adding Hamhuis, ballard, Oreskovich, Tambilini, and Malhotra doesn't mean anything, they were mostly saying though that now they are more on par with the Blackhawks with all of their personnel loss.

Edited by jollymania

adding Hamhuis, ballard, Oreskovich, Tambilini, and Malhotra doesn't mean anything, they were mostly saying though that now they are more on par with the Blackhawks with all of their personnel loss.

This is true, but they said that they are the team to beat on paper because they moved past Chicago because of their poor cap management.

There is no "team to beat" in the West. It's up for grabs, but Vancouver has as good a shot at taking it as anybody.

Observing the facts: Vancouver made it into the final four in the West last year, then got ousted by Chicago, but after blowing Chicago out in the first game.

Chicago got weaker, Vancouver got better, Detroit got marginally better, San Jose...?

And some of the main Chicago guys that disrupted Vancouver's game are gone.

So...who is the favorite? Chicago will make the playoffs and once your in, who knows whats going to happen, but they're sure not the favorite. So, is Detroit the favorite? No. San Jose? Not at this moment. It could definitely be Vancouver's time.

The Sedins need to take the next step in the playoffs. Luongo needs to get rid of the C and get his mellon together. Sammy needs another blockbuster year, as does Raymond and Burroughs, and the D line is more solid.

Edited by T.Low

Guest Crymson

Luongo is too inconsistent. The Canucks beat the Kings in the first round because they scored a lot of goals, not because Luongo played well.

Well being on par with Chicago would sure be a good thing with winning the Cup I suppose. Now if they can just learn how to get pass them in playoffs....

Luongo does them no help either. All that talent and for some reason just sievitis like crazy when it matters.

I agree with the Nucks just being another overhyped choke team like the Sharks.

I also agree that LA will be one of the stronger teams in the west, especially if they get Kovalchuk. I think Quick is underrated.

I also think the Wings will be one of the toughest teams in the league if they can stay healthy! :thumbup:

Well being on par with Chicago would sure be a good thing with winning the Cup I suppose. Now if they can just learn how to get pass them in playoffs....

Luongo does them no help either. All that talent and for some reason just sievitis like crazy when it matters.

I agree, now we have some parity in the West. At the moment, I don't see a clear front runner like we did with Chicago last summer. I guess the question is...with a more even field in the West, are the Wings going to be good enough with basically the same team as last year plus Hudler? I'd say yes, if the defensive mess from last season is fixed...but thats up to Holland.

As far as the Canucks go, I think they're going to be one of the top teams in the conference if Luongo gets his crap together. Like someone else said, take the C off his jersey, please.

absolutely not. vancouver is a joke, and TSN and the media hypes them up every year. Same old song and dance, strong or bust regular season and flop in the playoffs.

Vancouver = San Jose Sharks 2.0

Bingo. Luongo doesn't scare me in the playoffs.

TSN still thinks that Calgary is a team built for the playoffs, despite losing in the first round for like 4 straight years.

Vancouver has never been the team to beat in its history, and it won't be any different next season, unless they win the Presidents Trophy going into the playoffs.

Edited by GMRwings1983

TSN still thinks that Calgary is a team built for the playoffs.

Vancouver has never been the team to beat in its history, and it won't be any different next season, unless they win the Presidents Trophy going into the playoffs.

TSN thinks that every Canadian team is the Lord's gift to humanity. Not really a surprise considering that they're a Canadian network, but seriously, try to be a little objective when it comes to hockey.