• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfan40

What about Paul Mara?

Rate this topic

I don't know much about Mara but i hear he has a mean streak and looking at his numbers he seems like he could be useful. I feel like Lilja will never play with what little edge he once had now that he has suffered a serious concussion, and I can't blame him. But i think it would be great to have a big (6 ft 4 in i believe) defensemen that can throw his weight around and also put up decent numbers. Also i believe he made 1.9 mil last season. He is 30 years old now and having never won a cup may be willing to take a pay cut to play for a annual contender, plus he didn't have a great season last year which may also make him willing to take a cut.

What do you guys think?

Like i said, i know little about Mara and maybe there is a glaring argument against him that i dont know.

Why does everybody think hockey players like to take pay cuts? Sure, everyone wants to win, but everybody needs to get paid. I'm sure there's at least one contending team out there who can afford to pay him the $2 million he made last year. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't get a raise considering the typical free agency idiocy going on right now.

I don't know much about Mara but i hear he has a mean streak and looking at his numbers he seems like he could be useful. I feel like Lilja will never play with what little edge he once had now that he has suffered a serious concussion, and I can't blame him. But i think it would be great to have a big (6 ft 4 in i believe) defensemen that can throw his weight around and also put up decent numbers. Also i believe he made 1.9 mil last season. He is 30 years old now and having never won a cup may be willing to take a pay cut to play for a annual contender, plus he didn't have a great season last year which may also make him willing to take a cut.

What do you guys think?

Like i said, i know little about Mara and maybe there is a glaring argument against him that i dont know.

I am not saying i think he will necessarily want to take a cut, but it's not completely out of the question, right?

I think if we can sign him for around 1 million, and if he'd be okay with that, then why not? I mean this is the type of player we're looking for on the front-side.... why not just get him on the back and that frees us up to possibly get Modano for our 3rd line and then we can roll 3 pretty damn good lines. And then we have Abdelkader, Eaves, and Helm with Draper and Ritola battling to get in. I know, getting Modano isn't the most necessary move, but I feel he would really boost our third line, give us a reliable offensive player who still has wheels, despite being 40, and can put up reasonable points for a million or less.

He was hurt for for half of the season last year and he is very slow. He should not be making 2 mil in the first place. Mara 4 years ago was ok. Mara now is probably something we would regret.

Mara is a solid stay at home guy who can chip in offensively when needed, kind of like Stuart. He used to play in Plymouth (OHL) and the guy can play. Since moving to the NHL he has become a very solid stay at home guy, and he still has a rocket for a shot. I believe he had the hardest shot in the OHL back in 1998. He has had a rough past couple of years injury-wise, and I would bet he could be had for the same salary that Lilja played for last year. For a sixth or seventh d-man, he would be outstanding. He has never really played on any great teams, and would likely relish the opportunity in Detroit.

The other guy that I like, is Jay McKee. He played for $875k last year in Pittsburgh, as a 7th d-man. Take a look at the guy's career numbers. Not a whole lot offensively, but for a 7th d-man, who cares. Look specifically at his plus-minus. Only three times in his career, has he been a minus player. Once on a dreadful St. Louis team, and twice on some not-so-hot Buffalo teams. The bottom line, is that this guy gets it done in his own end, a perfect fit for a 7th defenseman. I am sure he could be had for the same salary he made in Pittsburgh last year, or even a modest raise to $1M would be workable once Derek Meech is traded. This guy has the mean streak that Lilja probably won't ever have again, is great in his own end and wouldn't be too expensive.

Guest Crymson

Why does everybody think hockey players like to take pay cuts? Sure, everyone wants to win, but everybody needs to get paid. I'm sure there's at least one contending team out there who can afford to pay him the $2 million he made last year. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't get a raise considering the typical free agency idiocy going on right now.

No kidding. The 'pay cut' speculation rarely turns out to be true. Hossa was the exception, not the rule, and the rest of the great deals the Wings have gotten over the years have generally been re-signings of players who were already on the team.

I would actually dig Mara back there, I like what Ive seen of him, which is very little. I just see him being a little too much money for us. Im also not apposed to the idea of Kindl being our #6 Dman, I would like to see us jumble the Dlines a little to make it work (i know this wont happen)

Lidstrom-Ericsson (I feel his best is with him so we mite as well use it)

Rafalski-Kronwall

Stuart-Kindl

....perhaps I out of my mind thoughunsure.gif

Lidstrom-Ericsson (I feel his best is with him so we mite as well use it)

Rafalski-Kronwall

Stuart-Kindl

....perhaps I out of my mind thoughunsure.gif

I like the idea of it for sure, as guys like Ericsson and Kindl will need the confidence going forward. Being paired with capable veterans would only help their growth. But as you said, it's probably not very likely. I still think the Wings will have to sign a steady #5-6 guy and rotate Ericsson/Kindl.

Use Janik and rotate him and Kindl. I don't understand what the turn off is about Janik. Last year he ws fine when he played. 500k is good for our cap too.

True say, I like Janik too, he was real solid for us, and I like what he brings to the table. He also has good size at 6'2 210.

if lilja and meech leave we don`t need another defense ...

lidstrom--rafalski

kronwall - stuart

erricson

kindl is ready for nhl he`s a first round draft pick , janik he`s a very good reserve and brendan smith is coming...