• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

Getflaf for Zetter

Rate this topic

I'm 100% positive that there are a crowd of people on these forums who would agree with my assertions on this matter.

That's nice... but again you are assuming you're right because you said something. The odd fact or example would do wonders for your posts. It would make them a little less editorial.

You're right when you say stats aren't everything, and we do have a different system, but I just think Getzlaf would dominate no matter what system he was playing in. He's got plenty of intangibles himself. He's not just some scorer who can't do anything else.

19 goals in 66 games is dominating these days? :blink:

I'm sure they will never trade Getz for Zet alone. That's my opinion. And it basically says that Gets is better than any player in our roster. Are you in favor of this trade? No? Why? Should we add?

Hey great idea! While we're at it, we can trade datsyuk for koivu, lidstrom for neidermayer (well his rights to talk him out of retirement) and then franzen for lupul. (That way we can get rid of franzen's long term contract)

Sounds like a plan!

19 goals in 66 games is dominating these days? :blink:

Well, he's only 25, and I don't remember Zetterberg having better playoff numbers when he was 25. Getzlaf has been very solid in the playoffs, and even though Hank has more goals than him, his assist numbers are better in the playoffs per average.

In any case, he's a solid playoff performer, and even though Zetterberg has been a beast in the playoffs, several posters here like yourself are discrediting Getzlaf's career and playoff numbers so far.

Sadly, there aren't enough posters here to warrant a solid objective argument about who's the better player right now. Many posts have just been passing references about things unrelated to hockey.

Edited by GMRwings1983

46 goals in 97 playoff games. end of discussion.

This. Plus Z is just a heart and soul Red Wing. He embodies everything about the Wings and he's one of those special players who etches themselves into the fabric of the team. He's never had a bad playoff year. He's one of those guys who would sacrifice anything to help the team win and the value of his leadership and value within the locker room is hard to overstate. Zetterberg is a cornerstone player who defines the team.

However, when the Oilers traded Gretzky they proved that no one is untouchable.

I know someone that works for the Ducks. He said Getzlaf is an alcoholic prima dona. He always says he has the personality of Ben Roethlisberger. No thanks. No trade.

Not to mention the general ******-ness vibe you get just by looking at him. He looks like a college frat boy who wears pink polo shirts with the stuck up collar who thinks he's the s***.

Statistically they are about the same:

Getzlaf

Regular Season GP:363 G: 107 A: 232 Points: 339 +/-: +64 GWG: 16

Post Season GP:56 G: 16 A: 31 Points: 47 +/-: -1 GWG: 4

Zetterberg

Regular Season GP:506 G: 206 A: 269 Points: 475 +/-: +131 GWG: 43

Post Season GP:97 G: 46 A: 45 Points: 91 +/-: +35 GWG: 7

From this standpoint, the only real difference between the two is +/- in the playoffs. Zetterberg is far more defensively responsible, yet their point outputs thus far in relation are very similar. Getzlaf is a good player, yes, but you need to look at the intangibles too, and what that means to the TEAM. Zetterberg has more when it comes to that. Time will tell who is the better player when the careers come to a close 10-15 years from now.

Well, he's only 25, and I don't remember Zetterberg having better playoff numbers when he was 25.

That is what they call hedging. And are we comparing last season/now or are we comparing them at age 25? Z tried [and often ended up sucking wind] to carry the team on his back every game last winter while his team was playing like s***. Without a doubt his leadership was a big factor in the team making the playoffs. Getzlaf is definitely a very gifted offensive player but his lack of discipline is a big offset to that. Getzlaf can play defense, but he just doesn't seem to always want to. He is one of those players that plays better when he is pissed off, and that can go either way.

In any case, he's a solid playoff performer, and even though Zetterberg has been a beast in the playoffs, several posters here like yourself are discrediting Getzlaf's career and playoff numbers so far.

I was merely questioning your assertion of his dominance. He is not dominant nor is Z. I haven't mentioned career numbers or playoffs. If I was to mention playoffs, I might make note that while Getzlaf puts up the points, he is a career -1 while Z is a +35 [and lead the playoffs last year], and that doesn't count all the time he has spent in the box (which is a lot of time).

Edited by kook_10

This loyalty stuff is Hocum, hockey is a business... loyalty is why we have Draper still and may eat another year of Maltby two guys well past their best before dates.

And why we're winning....

Not to mention the general ******-ness vibe you get just by looking at him. He looks like a college frat boy who wears pink polo shirts with the stuck up collar who thinks he's the s***.

You are just jealous of us cool people that wear pink polo shirts with the stuck up collar who thinks we are the s***.

On topic, it's really almost too hard to think about. Zetterberg has done nothing to warrant that he needs a change of scenery and neither has Getzlaf.

The intangibles are too hard to compare considering the only people who really know are in the locker room. Getzlaf is also a different player type of player then Zetterberg.

Really it's almost comparing apples to oranges to me, both players have their strengths and weaknesses and while the past likely sides that Zetterberg is a better player, the future might be a different story on just production.

So I'd most likely turn down the offer mainly because Zetterberg fits the Wings identity.

And I'd guess that the Ducks would turn down the offer mainly because he fits the Ducks identity.

I'm sure they will never trade Getz for Zet alone. That's my opinion. And it basically says that Gets is better than any player in our roster. Are you in favor of this trade? No? Why? Should we add?

How does the phrase "not on your life" sound?

This loyalty stuff is Hocum, hockey is a business... loyalty is why we have Draper still and may eat another year of Maltby two guys well past their best before dates.

Loyalty is why great players take pay cuts to stay here their entire careers rather than make more money on some other team. Nick, Hank, Pavs....they could all make more money somewhere else than they're making here. However they want to be Red Wings. So they take less than they're probably worth. Illitch does right by them, they do right by him. It would be far too easy to piss that good karma away, and we should be grateful they don't. There's a reason players say they want to come here, want to sign long-term deals. Drapes and Malts may be older and not possessing the same skills they used to, but rather than kicking them in the balls, the team is going to let them go on their terms. They've earned that much.

Hockey may be a business, but if you piss people off and give them the impression that you won't do squat for them, they won't come here and you won't make money. You have to grease wheels to get them to move.

I wouldn't do the trade but I think that there are way too many people here not giving Getzlaf the proper amount of credit. He is a LOT better than some people here are making him out to be.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I would certainly do the trade. Zetterberg may be the better player right now, but he is already injury prone, and is aging already. In a few years time, no one would even think of this trade as fair for the Ducks. Keep in mind the guy is already a top 15 forward in the league, and is YOUNGER THAN FILPPULA.

lol @ the negs. Any other forum other than a wing's one and 60% easy goes for Getzlaf.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

shove your suggestion where the sun don't shine.