• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

Getflaf for Zetter

Rate this topic

To answer the original question...no, absolutely not in favor of such a trade. Besides, why mess with the Euro twin magic? ;) But seriously...just no.

Getzlaf and Z have similar numbers, and Getzlaf is a top player, but I would still pick Z any day. Z is a great player, good defensively and he makes the smart, little plays that lead to something better.

EZBAKE - I have to respectfully disagree. Yes, Z is injury prone but what hockey player hasn't been injured in their career? Getzlaf had injury problems this past year and we can't tell the future, so he very well may suffer injuries in the future and be considered injury-prone. Even though Z is aging, that doesn't mean he doesn't have good years ahead of him. Look at Lidstrom - had his best season with the Wings the year after the lockout, and he was over 30.

Edited by RWRNHZ40

I was merely questioning your assertion of his dominance. He is not dominant nor is Z.

Zetterberg is dominant in the playoffs. Look at his playoff stats over the last 3 years.

I could care less how dominant he is in the regular season as long as we make the playoffs. No one cares who won the most regular season titles.

This is a silly argument anyway. Zetterberg and Getzlaf play two completely different games. They fill two completely different roles on the team. Datsyuk is our premier playmaker. Getzlaf would be redundant. The Red Wings need Zetterberg to get back to what he does best come October-- score goals.

Getzlaf had a much better year than Hank

Stupid thread but I had to respond to this.

19 goals and 69 points in 66 games, +4

is "much better" than

23 goals and 70 points in 74 games, +12

Really?????

It's arguable who had the better regular season. Neither was quite as good as they can be. Throw Hank's great playoff performance in their though and he definitely takes the edge as far as last year imo.

I wouldn't do the trade but I think that there are way too many people here not giving Getzlaf the proper amount of credit. He is a LOT better than some people here are making him out to be.

Getzlaf is a great player, and a Wings killer to boot. But there's no way he's above Zetterberg, former playoff MVP.

I would love to have Getz on the Wings, but not at the expense of Zetterberg.

Getz is one of those players I hate, but would love if he was a Wing.

Kenny would get a lot of flaf for making that sort of a trade. It would be a huge mistake for the team, and the fans would rightfully go nuts.

That said, if the cap magically disappears and we can get Getz for Ritola, I say we spring for the extra cash that it would take to buy enough Crack for Quack to getterdone.

I would love to have Getz on the Wings, but not at the expense of Zetterberg.

Getz is one of those players I hate, but would love if he was a Wing.

Kenny would get a lot of flaf for making that sort of a trade. It would be a huge mistake for the team, and the fans would rightfully go nuts.

That said, if the cap magically disappears and we can get Getz for Ritola, I say we spring for the extra cash that it would take to buy enough Crack for Quack to getterdone.

:thumbup:

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I really have to laugh at some of the posts in these threads. The amount Getzlaf is getting underrated here is insane. He may not be as good all around as Zetterberg is now, but he is still without a doubt a top 15 if not top 10 forward in the league, and is only getting better. It's unfair to really compare his overall playoff point totals to Z's right now seeing as the age and maturation factor obviously tips it in Zetterberg's favor. While I agree with most that Z is better as of now, you really have to wonder just how good this kid will get. He Just turned 25 (you know... a year older than Ritola), and has already proven himself to be a dominant, dominant center. I honestly feel as if he was the best player on the Ice in 09's playoff series, and that was with Zetterberg and our top defensive pairings matching him all series.

Out of curiosisty, I dug up their head to head match up, dating back to Getzlaf's rookie season.

Since the lockout Z has played 30 games against the Ducks. 17G 22A 39P.

Since the lockout Getzlaf has played 32 games against the Wings. 12G 31A 43P.

Playoffs Head to Head

Z 13GP 5G 11A 16P

Getz 13GP 4G 12A 16P

These totals are incredibly close, giving no clear winner to either side, the only difference being one has still yet to enter the prime of their career, and does not have chronic back problems.

I love Zetterberg to death, and due to his leadership and chemistry would never be happy with a trade of the two in real life. Zetterberg most probably fits this team better then Getzlaf could, and is still one of the best shut down centers in the league.

With that being said however, I honestly believe if given the choice 30 out of 30 NHL GMs would rather build a team around a player like Getzlaf at 25 rather then a player like Zetterberg at almost 30. That is just my 2 cents though, as this trade will clearly never happen.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

You're right when you say stats aren't everything, and we do have a different system, but I just think Getzlaf would dominate no matter what system he was playing in. He's got plenty of intangibles himself. He's not just some scorer who can't do anything else.

And Getzlaf is apparently Alexei Yashin in the playoffs?

He's been a great playoff performer himself, even though he hasn't played as many games as Hank.

Jeez are we talking about the same guy, or is this some guy named Getflaf, like the OP wrote? I don't like him either, but let's not make it sound like he sucks or something. I'm guessing most teams in the league would take him over Hank. That's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

yeah,but most teams in the league are constant losers,and it may have something to do with their wrong decissions

It's possible that Holland would get some flak, but you never know.

Personally I'd have mixed feelings on the move; it's nice to have a guy that's a power forward whom plays the game along the lines of a Shanahan, but I would miss our little bearded Jesus, and his defensive awareness, and knack for timely goals.

In his prime, Shanny was more of a sniper who could score 40-50 goals a year. I really don't see Getzlaf as that kind of player, but rather an extremely talented set-up man who is physical and can score upwards of 20 goals.

I really have to laugh at some of the posts in these threads. The amount Getzlaf is getting underrated here is insane. He may not be as good all around as Zetterberg is now, but he is still without a doubt a top 15 if not top 10 forward in the league, and is only getting better. It's unfair to really compare his overall playoff point totals to Z's right now seeing as the age and maturation factor obviously tips it in Zetterberg's favor. While I agree with most that Z is better as of now, you really have to wonder just how good this kid will get. He Just turned 25 (you know... a year older than Ritola), and has already proven himself to be a dominant, dominant center. I honestly feel as if he was the best player on the Ice in 09's playoff series, and that was with Zetterberg and our top defensive pairings matching him all series.

Out of curiosisty, I dug up their head to head match up, dating back to Getzlaf's rookie season.

Since the lockout Z has played 30 games against the Ducks. 17G 22A 39P.

Since the lockout Getzlaf has played 32 games against the Wings. 12G 31A 43P.

Playoffs Head to Head

Z 13GP 5G 11A 16P

Getz 13GP 4G 12A 16P

These totals are incredibly close, giving no clear winner to either side, the only difference being one has still yet to enter the prime of their career, and does not have chronic back problems.

I love Zetterberg to death, and due to his leadership and chemistry would never be happy with a trade of the two in real life. Zetterberg most probably fits this team better then Getzlaf could, and is still one of the best shut down centers in the league.

With that being said however, I honestly believe if given the choice 30 out of 30 NHL GMs would rather build a team around a player like Getzlaf at 25 rather then a player like Zetterberg at almost 30. That is just my 2 cents though, as this trade will clearly never happen.

This makes no sense at all. First you say that it is increadibly close but Z fits the team better, then you say 30 out of 30 GM's would chose Getzlaff. Ok in your opinion Getzlaff is better. Fine. You are entitled to your opinion but 100% of the GM's are not going to agree with you. Maybe some of them but ALL of them? Get over yourself already. 30 out of 30 GM's no more about hockey than you do.

Zetterberg is eye candy for all the motown ladies, and Getz is a homely guy...Z is a hot commodity...Oh, plus the whole "defensive genius', world class playmaker and shutdown stud. Hank is gonna have a great year (my prediction)

PS Dont talk about Getz in the playoffs or that "they have the same amount of Stanley Cups"...The ONLY thing you should remember about comparing these 2 is Hank has a Conn Smythe....enough said!

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

This makes no sense at all. First you say that it is increadibly close but Z fits the team better, then you say 30 out of 30 GM's would chose Getzlaff. Ok in your opinion Getzlaff is better. Fine. You are entitled to your opinion but 100% of the GM's are not going to agree with you. Maybe some of them but ALL of them? Get over yourself already. 30 out of 30 GM's no more about hockey than you do.

Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong point.

1) I never once said that Getzlaf is better as of now, in fact I specifically said the opposite. However I feel that it is very close, and believe (as you should too) that within a few years Getzlaf at 28 will be far better than Zetterberg at 33.

2) If history, loyalty and intangibility (since this all just theoretical, and based on talent analysis) were not factors do you honestly think that ANY GM would prefer an older more injury prone player compared to one who is almost equal in talent already, and has the potential to be better than the formerly mentioned? Just by looking at stats and potential progression, no (this is the correct use of this word by the way) sane GM would. His next 5 years are simply more likely to be better then Z's next 5 years. This is not debatable.

To put things in perspective, if both were free agents and had never had a history with the Wings, would you really prefer Holland to sign Zetterberg over Getzlaf. Remove your bias and view them for what they are. Both perennial All-Stars and top ten centers in the league with Cup Rings. Both have about equal offensive talent as of now. One has a good edge in defensive talent, while the other is a physical dynamo. While their offensive output is almost equal now, the younger player is constantly on the rise as he has yet to enter his prime, while the other, older player's increase has stagnated and has actually decreased. The older is also injury prone. Do you honestly think that Zetterberg's next 5 years will be as good as Getzlaf's individually?

3) Your most probably true accusation that 30 NHL GM's "no" more about hockey then me is most probably true. Your insult however does not, as you even admitted the possibility that many would agree with me, essentially making that insult disagree with your original point. But once again my point of view "makes no sense at all" (just because you disagree with it).

I wouldn't want Getzlaf on the Wings, but I can say he has more value on the market because his potential is higher than Z's and he's already a great player. I'd say most GM's in the league would build the team around Getzlaf over Z. He's big, he's mean, he's Canadian.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I wouldn't make the trade, but if I was making a new team, you can damn sure bet I'd take Getzlaf over Zetterberg, despite how much I love Z.

Careful now, we all know that simply suggesting a player is better or has the potential to be better than a beloved Wing is grounds for getting attacked here. HELM>CROSBY!

Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong point.

1) I never once said that Getzlaf is better as of now, in fact I specifically said the opposite. However I feel that it is very close, and believe (as you should too) that within a few years Getzlaf at 28 will be far better than Zetterberg at 33.

2) If history, loyalty and intangibility (since this all just theoretical, and based on talent analysis) were not factors do you honestly think that ANY GM would prefer an older more injury prone player compared to one who is almost equal in talent already, and has the potential to be better than the formerly mentioned? Just by looking at stats and potential progression, no (this is the correct use of this word by the way) sane GM would. His next 5 years are simply more likely to be better then Z's next 5 years. This is not debatable.

To put things in perspective, if both were free agents and had never had a history with the Wings, would you really prefer Holland to sign Zetterberg over Getzlaf. Remove your bias and view them for what they are. Both perennial All-Stars and top ten centers in the league with Cup Rings. Both have about equal offensive talent as of now. One has a good edge in defensive talent, while the other is a physical dynamo. While their offensive output is almost equal now, the younger player is constantly on the rise as he has yet to enter his prime, while the other, older player's increase has stagnated and has actually decreased. The older is also injury prone. Do you honestly think that Zetterberg's next 5 years will be as good as Getzlaf's individually?

3) Your most probably true accusation that 30 NHL GM's "no" more about hockey then me is most probably true. Your insult however does not, as you even admitted the possibility that many would agree with me, essentially making that insult disagree with your original point. But once again my point of view "makes no sense at all" (just because you disagree with it).

I am not arguing who is better. My isssue is that you think that every single one of the 30 GM's agree with you and that is a stupid thing to suggest. You are correct in that I made a typo with "no" instead of "know". If you scan all of my posts you might even be able to find a few more typos over last few hundred posts.

Actually your post was well thought out and clearly written until you ended it by saying all the GM's agree with you.

And my reading comprehesion is fine thank you.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Zetterberg is eye candy for all the motown ladies, and Getz is a homely guy...Z is a hot commodity...Oh, plus the whole "defensive genius', world class playmaker and shutdown stud. Hank is gonna have a great year (my prediction)

PS Dont talk about Getz in the playoffs or that "they have the same amount of Stanley Cups"...The ONLY thing you should remember about comparing these 2 is Hank has a Conn Smythe....enough said!

Brad Richards has more Conn Smythes then Datsyuk. Brad Richards> Datsyuk! :rolleyes:

I am not arguing who is better. My isssue is that you think that every single one of the 30 GM's agree with you and that is a stupid thing to suggest. You are correct in that I made a typo with "no" instead of "know". If you scan all of my posts you might even be able to find a few more typos over last few hundred posts.

Actually your post was well thought out and clearly written until you ended it by saying all the GM's agree with you.

And my reading comprehesion is fine thank you.

Replying to bolded: So was yours, until you put words in my mouth and claimed I said the exact opposite of what I said.

I wouldn't want Getzlaf on the Wings, but I can say he has more value on the market because his potential is higher than Z's and he's already a great player. I'd say most GM's in the league would build the team around Getzlaf over Z. He's big, he's mean, he's Canadian.

I'm thinking that most GM's don't care if he's big, mean, or Canadian. (Brian Burke excluded).

I'm thinking that most GM's don't care if he's big, mean, or Canadian. (Brian Burke excluded).

I couldn't disagree more. There are tons of GM's who choose that kinda player even when he isn't actually the better one. But on top of all that Getlaf also has skill.

I couldn't disagree more. There are tons of GM's who choose that kinda player even when he isn't actually the better one. But on top of all that Getlaf also has skill.

I guess we are arguing semantics. You said most. I agree that there are some. Getzlaff is certainly a skilled player which I think is more important than the "big, mean, Canadian" parts.

Brad Richards has more Conn Smythes then Datsyuk. Brad Richards> Datsyuk! :rolleyes:

Replying to bolded: So was yours, until you put words in my mouth and claimed I said the exact opposite of what I said.

Maybe my reading comprehension is not good then because this is what you said.

With that being said however, I honestly believe if given the choice 30 out of 30 NHL GMs would rather build a team around a player like Getzlaf at 25 rather then a player like Zetterberg at almost 30.

This is the part of your post that I disagree with. IMO, this is a ridiculous thing to say. Not that Getzlaff is better, younger, less injury prone, etc. It's ridiculous to say that all 30 GM's would pick Getzlaff over Z. Certainly some would but not all 30.

Zetterberg has the higher PPG over 97 playoff games than Getzlaf does over 56.... Not to mention Z can play amazing defense and shut players like Crosby down. Last but not least Zetterberg has a epic beard while Getzlaf has premature balding.....did this seriously need 4 pages? Its a no brainier.

Edited by Original-Six