• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

No you interpreted my statement that way. Getz is a great player and a top 15, 10 on his best day but...in my opinion he isn't even on the same level as Z or Dats for that matter. Z and Dats will never win Harts or Rockets, thats not the Wings system. It's not homerism, its called watching hockey and judging the player by more than just their stats column on NHL.com, maybe you do that and you have a different view thats fine, but based on those areas of the game that are subject to interpretation that form the basis of my opinion.

You're right when you say stats aren't everything, and we do have a different system, but I just think Getzlaf would dominate no matter what system he was playing in. He's got plenty of intangibles himself. He's not just some scorer who can't do anything else.

46 goals in 97 playoff games. end of discussion.

And Getzlaf is apparently Alexei Yashin in the playoffs?

He's been a great playoff performer himself, even though he hasn't played as many games as Hank.

Jeez are we talking about the same guy, or is this some guy named Getflaf, like the OP wrote? I don't like him either, but let's not make it sound like he sucks or something. I'm guessing most teams in the league would take him over Hank. That's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hah, yeah, because the loyalty this organization shows to its players is NEVER reciprocated, NEVER makes other players want to play in Detroit, and, in general, NEVER pays this organization any dividends. Oh, wait... you're wrong.

Yes, the loyalty has its downsides, namely that some longtime players get contracts they may not deserve. However, you're completely oblivious to every intangible if you think that it doesn't have far more upsides than downsides.

Nice speech, care to add some substance to that rhetoric? Or are you going to stick to broad assertions that are meaningless to anyone besides you?

#23 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

I think someone liked the Getzlaf/Ryan skit from the NHL Award Show a little too much...

#24 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

Zetter is better.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

Nice speech, care to add some substance to that rhetoric? Or are you going to stick to broad assertions that are meaningless to anyone besides you?

I'm 100% positive that there are a crowd of people on these forums who would agree with my assertions on this matter.

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

#27 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'm 100% positive that there are a crowd of people on these forums who would agree with my assertions on this matter.

That's nice... but again you are assuming you're right because you said something. The odd fact or example would do wonders for your posts. It would make them a little less editorial.

#28 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

Zetteberg = Playoff MVP....

boom!
:thumbup:
be about it!

#29 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

You're right when you say stats aren't everything, and we do have a different system, but I just think Getzlaf would dominate no matter what system he was playing in. He's got plenty of intangibles himself. He's not just some scorer who can't do anything else.

19 goals in 66 games is dominating these days? :blink:

works every time

#30 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

I know someone that works for the Ducks. He said Getzlaf is an alcoholic prima dona. He always says he has the personality of Ben Roethlisberger. No thanks. No trade.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#31 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

I'm sure they will never trade Getz for Zet alone. That's my opinion. And it basically says that Gets is better than any player in our roster. Are you in favor of this trade? No? Why? Should we add?

Hey great idea! While we're at it, we can trade datsyuk for koivu, lidstrom for neidermayer (well his rights to talk him out of retirement) and then franzen for lupul. (That way we can get rid of franzen's long term contract)

Sounds like a plan!

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#32 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Let's be honest both players are amazing all tho Getzlaf probably has the bigger body, I like Zetterberg style more. So at the end no I wouldn't trade for Getz.

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Well, he's only 25, and I don't remember Zetterberg having better playoff numbers when he was 25. Getzlaf has been very solid in the playoffs, and even though Hank has more goals than him, his assist numbers are better in the playoffs per average.

In any case, he's a solid playoff performer, and even though Zetterberg has been a beast in the playoffs, several posters here like yourself are discrediting Getzlaf's career and playoff numbers so far.

Sadly, there aren't enough posters here to warrant a solid objective argument about who's the better player right now. Many posts have just been passing references about things unrelated to hockey.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 04 July 2010 - 08:57 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Not in a million years.

#35 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

G is more of a playmaker.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#36 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

46 goals in 97 playoff games. end of discussion.

This. Plus Z is just a heart and soul Red Wing. He embodies everything about the Wings and he's one of those special players who etches themselves into the fabric of the team. He's never had a bad playoff year. He's one of those guys who would sacrifice anything to help the team win and the value of his leadership and value within the locker room is hard to overstate. Zetterberg is a cornerstone player who defines the team.

However, when the Oilers traded Gretzky they proved that no one is untouchable.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#37 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Zetterberg is our next captain, so no.

#38 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Zetter is better.

This 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

#39 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

I know someone that works for the Ducks. He said Getzlaf is an alcoholic prima dona. He always says he has the personality of Ben Roethlisberger. No thanks. No trade.

Not to mention the general ******-ness vibe you get just by looking at him. He looks like a college frat boy who wears pink polo shirts with the stuck up collar who thinks he's the s***.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#40 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Statistically they are about the same:

Getzlaf
Regular Season GP:363 G: 107 A: 232 Points: 339 +/-: +64 GWG: 16
Post Season GP:56 G: 16 A: 31 Points: 47 +/-: -1 GWG: 4

Zetterberg
Regular Season GP:506 G: 206 A: 269 Points: 475 +/-: +131 GWG: 43
Post Season GP:97 G: 46 A: 45 Points: 91 +/-: +35 GWG: 7

From this standpoint, the only real difference between the two is +/- in the playoffs. Zetterberg is far more defensively responsible, yet their point outputs thus far in relation are very similar. Getzlaf is a good player, yes, but you need to look at the intangibles too, and what that means to the TEAM. Zetterberg has more when it comes to that. Time will tell who is the better player when the careers come to a close 10-15 years from now.