• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Well, he's only 25, and I don't remember Zetterberg having better playoff numbers when he was 25.

That is what they call hedging. And are we comparing last season/now or are we comparing them at age 25? Z tried [and often ended up sucking wind] to carry the team on his back every game last winter while his team was playing like s***. Without a doubt his leadership was a big factor in the team making the playoffs. Getzlaf is definitely a very gifted offensive player but his lack of discipline is a big offset to that. Getzlaf can play defense, but he just doesn't seem to always want to. He is one of those players that plays better when he is pissed off, and that can go either way.

In any case, he's a solid playoff performer, and even though Zetterberg has been a beast in the playoffs, several posters here like yourself are discrediting Getzlaf's career and playoff numbers so far.

I was merely questioning your assertion of his dominance. He is not dominant nor is Z. I haven't mentioned career numbers or playoffs. If I was to mention playoffs, I might make note that while Getzlaf puts up the points, he is a career -1 while Z is a +35 [and lead the playoffs last year], and that doesn't count all the time he has spent in the box (which is a lot of time).

Edited by kook_10, 04 July 2010 - 10:23 PM.

works every time

#42 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

no thanks... I think both of them fit well where they are at and both teams love thme too much
Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#43 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

This loyalty stuff is Hocum, hockey is a business... loyalty is why we have Draper still and may eat another year of Maltby two guys well past their best before dates.

And why we're winning....
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#44 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

Not to mention the general ******-ness vibe you get just by looking at him. He looks like a college frat boy who wears pink polo shirts with the stuck up collar who thinks he's the s***.

You are just jealous of us cool people that wear pink polo shirts with the stuck up collar who thinks we are the s***.

On topic, it's really almost too hard to think about. Zetterberg has done nothing to warrant that he needs a change of scenery and neither has Getzlaf.

The intangibles are too hard to compare considering the only people who really know are in the locker room. Getzlaf is also a different player type of player then Zetterberg.

Really it's almost comparing apples to oranges to me, both players have their strengths and weaknesses and while the past likely sides that Zetterberg is a better player, the future might be a different story on just production.

So I'd most likely turn down the offer mainly because Zetterberg fits the Wings identity.

And I'd guess that the Ducks would turn down the offer mainly because he fits the Ducks identity.

#45 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Zetterberg plays a hell of a lot better defensively.Doesn't have the nastiness Getzlaf can bring,but I'd rather keep Z.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#46 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

Man... if this thread isn't a sign of dog days, I don't know what is.

Zetterberg by a hair.

Edited by Broken 16, 04 July 2010 - 10:53 PM.

#47 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

I'm sure they will never trade Getz for Zet alone. That's my opinion. And it basically says that Gets is better than any player in our roster. Are you in favor of this trade? No? Why? Should we add?

How does the phrase "not on your life" sound?

This loyalty stuff is Hocum, hockey is a business... loyalty is why we have Draper still and may eat another year of Maltby two guys well past their best before dates.

Loyalty is why great players take pay cuts to stay here their entire careers rather than make more money on some other team. Nick, Hank, Pavs....they could all make more money somewhere else than they're making here. However they want to be Red Wings. So they take less than they're probably worth. Illitch does right by them, they do right by him. It would be far too easy to piss that good karma away, and we should be grateful they don't. There's a reason players say they want to come here, want to sign long-term deals. Drapes and Malts may be older and not possessing the same skills they used to, but rather than kicking them in the balls, the team is going to let them go on their terms. They've earned that much.

Hockey may be a business, but if you piss people off and give them the impression that you won't do squat for them, they won't come here and you won't make money. You have to grease wheels to get them to move.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#48 NazMo

NazMo

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

I wouldn't do the trade but I think that there are way too many people here not giving Getzlaf the proper amount of credit. He is a LOT better than some people here are making him out to be.

#49 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

I would certainly do the trade. Zetterberg may be the better player right now, but he is already injury prone, and is aging already. In a few years time, no one would even think of this trade as fair for the Ducks. Keep in mind the guy is already a top 15 forward in the league, and is YOUNGER THAN FILPPULA.

lol @ the negs. Any other forum other than a wing's one and 60% easy goes for Getzlaf.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 05 July 2010 - 01:50 AM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#50 SUPERSTUD

SUPERSTUD

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb - but who's who?

• Silver Booster
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

I'm sure they will never trade Getz for Zet alone. That's my opinion. And it basically says that Gets is better than any player in our roster. Are you in favor of this trade? No? Why? Should we add?

shove your suggestion where the sun don't shine.

#51 RWRNHZ40

RWRNHZ40

Loving my Wings until the day I die!

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

To answer the original question...no, absolutely not in favor of such a trade. Besides, why mess with the Euro twin magic? ;) But seriously...just no.

Getzlaf and Z have similar numbers, and Getzlaf is a top player, but I would still pick Z any day. Z is a great player, good defensively and he makes the smart, little plays that lead to something better.

EZBAKE - I have to respectfully disagree. Yes, Z is injury prone but what hockey player hasn't been injured in their career? Getzlaf had injury problems this past year and we can't tell the future, so he very well may suffer injuries in the future and be considered injury-prone. Even though Z is aging, that doesn't mean he doesn't have good years ahead of him. Look at Lidstrom - had his best season with the Wings the year after the lockout, and he was over 30.

Edited by RWRNHZ40, 04 July 2010 - 11:39 PM.

Count me in, but don't count me out,
You can't shut me up, you can't shut me down,
Fight through the hurt, Fight through the pain,
Without the ache there is no gain,
We live our lives for the love of the game
Pillar - For the Love of the Game

#52 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

I was merely questioning your assertion of his dominance. He is not dominant nor is Z.

Zetterberg is dominant in the playoffs. Look at his playoff stats over the last 3 years.

I could care less how dominant he is in the regular season as long as we make the playoffs. No one cares who won the most regular season titles.

This is a silly argument anyway. Zetterberg and Getzlaf play two completely different games. They fill two completely different roles on the team. Datsyuk is our premier playmaker. Getzlaf would be redundant. The Red Wings need Zetterberg to get back to what he does best come October-- score goals.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#53 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

Getzlaf had a much better year than Hank

Stupid thread but I had to respond to this.

19 goals and 69 points in 66 games, +4

is "much better" than

23 goals and 70 points in 74 games, +12

Really?????

It's arguable who had the better regular season. Neither was quite as good as they can be. Throw Hank's great playoff performance in their though and he definitely takes the edge as far as last year imo.

#54 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

I wouldn't do the trade but I think that there are way too many people here not giving Getzlaf the proper amount of credit. He is a LOT better than some people here are making him out to be.

Getzlaf is a great player, and a Wings killer to boot. But there's no way he's above Zetterberg, former playoff MVP.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#55 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

I would love to have Getz on the Wings, but not at the expense of Zetterberg.

Getz is one of those players I hate, but would love if he was a Wing.

Kenny would get a lot of flaf for making that sort of a trade. It would be a huge mistake for the team, and the fans would rightfully go nuts.

That said, if the cap magically disappears and we can get Getz for Ritola, I say we spring for the extra cash that it would take to buy enough Crack for Quack to getterdone.

#56 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Kenny would get a lot of flaf for making that sort of a trade. It would be a huge mistake for the team, and the fans would rightfully go nuts.

That said, if the cap magically disappears and we can get Getz for Ritola, I say we spring for the extra cash that it would take to buy enough Crack for Quack to getterdone.

:thumbup:

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#57 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

It's possible that Holland would get some flak, but you never know.

Personally I'd have mixed feelings on the move; it's nice to have a guy that's a power forward whom plays the game along the lines of a Shanahan, but I would miss our little bearded Jesus, and his defensive awareness, and knack for timely goals.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#58 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

I really have to laugh at some of the posts in these threads. The amount Getzlaf is getting underrated here is insane. He may not be as good all around as Zetterberg is now, but he is still without a doubt a top 15 if not top 10 forward in the league, and is only getting better. It's unfair to really compare his overall playoff point totals to Z's right now seeing as the age and maturation factor obviously tips it in Zetterberg's favor. While I agree with most that Z is better as of now, you really have to wonder just how good this kid will get. He Just turned 25 (you know... a year older than Ritola), and has already proven himself to be a dominant, dominant center. I honestly feel as if he was the best player on the Ice in 09's playoff series, and that was with Zetterberg and our top defensive pairings matching him all series.

Out of curiosisty, I dug up their head to head match up, dating back to Getzlaf's rookie season.

Since the lockout Z has played 30 games against the Ducks. 17G 22A 39P.
Since the lockout Getzlaf has played 32 games against the Wings. 12G 31A 43P.

Playoffs Head to Head

Z 13GP 5G 11A 16P
Getz 13GP 4G 12A 16P

These totals are incredibly close, giving no clear winner to either side, the only difference being one has still yet to enter the prime of their career, and does not have chronic back problems.

I love Zetterberg to death, and due to his leadership and chemistry would never be happy with a trade of the two in real life. Zetterberg most probably fits this team better then Getzlaf could, and is still one of the best shut down centers in the league.

With that being said however, I honestly believe if given the choice 30 out of 30 NHL GMs would rather build a team around a player like Getzlaf at 25 rather then a player like Zetterberg at almost 30. That is just my 2 cents though, as this trade will clearly never happen.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 05 July 2010 - 01:06 AM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#59 Edillac

Edillac

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

You're right when you say stats aren't everything, and we do have a different system, but I just think Getzlaf would dominate no matter what system he was playing in. He's got plenty of intangibles himself. He's not just some scorer who can't do anything else.

And Getzlaf is apparently Alexei Yashin in the playoffs?

He's been a great playoff performer himself, even though he hasn't played as many games as Hank.

Jeez are we talking about the same guy, or is this some guy named Getflaf, like the OP wrote? I don't like him either, but let's not make it sound like he sucks or something. I'm guessing most teams in the league would take him over Hank. That's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

yeah,but most teams in the league are constant losers,and it may have something to do with their wrong decissions

#60 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

It's possible that Holland would get some flak, but you never know.

Personally I'd have mixed feelings on the move; it's nice to have a guy that's a power forward whom plays the game along the lines of a Shanahan, but I would miss our little bearded Jesus, and his defensive awareness, and knack for timely goals.

In his prime, Shanny was more of a sniper who could score 40-50 goals a year. I really don't see Getzlaf as that kind of player, but rather an extremely talented set-up man who is physical and can score upwards of 20 goals.