• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

Getflaf for Zetter

Rate this topic

The thing that gets to me is when 90% of the board complains about the team not being big/strong/tough enough, but when someone poses a hypothetical trade for one of the premier power forwards in the league, the same people lambaste him with a whopping 34 negs. Really?

Here's the bottom line. Zetterberg is great. Getzlaf is great. If you want a team that can physically intimidate the opposition, you build it around Getzlaf. If that's not important to you, you pick Zetterberg. It's that simple.

The thing that gets to me is when 90% of the board complains about the team not being big/strong/tough enough, but when someone poses a hypothetical trade for one of the premier power forwards in the league, the same people lambaste him with a whopping 34 negs. Really?

Here's the bottom line. Zetterberg is great. Getzlaf is great. If you want a team that can physically intimidate the opposition, you build it around Getzlaf. If that's not important to you, you pick Zetterberg. It's that simple.

Yep.

I think the Wings are a team that value hockey sense over everything else. And Zetterberg is an incredibly smart player.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Maybe my reading comprehension is not good then because this is what you said.

With that being said however, I honestly believe if given the choice 30 out of 30 NHL GMs would rather build a team around a player like Getzlaf at 25 rather then a player like Zetterberg at almost 30.

This is the part of your post that I disagree with. IMO, this is a ridiculous thing to say. Not that Getzlaff is better, younger, less injury prone, etc. It's ridiculous to say that all 30 GM's would pick Getzlaff over Z. Certainly some would but not all 30.

I was referring to the point where you said that I claimed Getzlaf to be better as of now, but what ever it doesn't matter.

Getzlaf is an absolute beast. People here saying Z is way better in the playoffs and thats why we should keep him over Getzlaf aren't remembering a couple years ago when Getz almost single handedly knocked us out. There are so many people on here underrating him it is absurd. Right now they are probably about par on skill level with a 5 year age difference and Getz just coming into his prime, not to mention Z's back problems.

That being said I wouldn't make the trade just because of our loyalty being a reason why players want to come here etc.

If loyalty is not a factor and its just a straight up trade I would make it. A guy 5 years younger, is going to keep getting better for about 5 years, pretty tough and has shown he is a very solid playoff performer is something I would love on this team, just not at the expense of us losing our teams reputation of loyalty.

Sometimes this board is ridiculous with the amount of homerism. Yeah theyre both great players and if you wouldn't make the trade thats fine, but the way some of you down talk what Getz is capable of makes him sound like a thrid line player. Z and G are both almost on par skill wise with Z taking the defensive nod.

You'd be crazy to deny the talent of Getzlaf, but you'd be retarded (as clearly indicated by the title 'GetFlaf for Zetter') to start a thread on LGW suggesting we trade our future captain for him, or anyone who isn't significantly better. Zetterberg and Getzlaf have completely different styles and it's really like comparing apples to oranges, so why argue for four pages about it especially when you know it would never happen?

Let's end it here. Basically all we have here is Brawn vs. Brains - Getzlaf is an elite player but he is not a superior player to Zetterberg, and you don't know s*** about the sport if you disagree. Getzlaf brings the physical aspect and has a better shot, but Z has better hands and is superior in the defensive aspect of the game. They are equally as important to their team, they just contribute in different ways. Offensively they are a wash, so enough about playoff ppg and so on... you will get nowhere with that argument as they are comparable as far as points go.

As far as Z being 'injury prone,' you could argue that... but you could also argue that Getzlaf's physical style and tendency to fight could burn him out earlier than a less physical player like Zetterberg. Z's back has been an issue, but IIRC Getzlaf spent quite some time last season sitting out with various injuries. Achilles, or calf? Wrist? I don't care enough to look it up but he was injured for about as long as Zetterberg last season and all this proves is that s*** happens. Z was fine last year until he got caught with his head down and got demolished, as did Toews, Kessel, Booth, Savard and countless others. This isn't golf - people get wrecked all the time, and injuries are quite common. I doubt Z's back will prevent him from putting up similar numbers for his next few seasons, but I do not doubt that Getzlaf will improve offensively in his.

This is where their differing styles play in, as Getzlaf in his prime will likely score more points than Zetterberg in his, but Zetterberg will prevent far more goals than Getzlaf could ever dream to.

I'd like nothing more than to illustrate to you all how ridiculous these arguments are. You all have valid points - there's no escaping how impressive each player is, but let's just end this nonsense before I log in tonight and see three more pages of headache-inducing bulls***. Zetterberg is the future of our team. If the true question is which player would benefit our team more the answer is clearly him. I honestly believe that both players are equally valuable to the success of a team as they both fill different, yet equally important roles; however Z's loyalty alone makes him more valuable to us than Getzlaf because Getzlaf could never share the passion for our team which Zetterberg has clearly expressed. We gave him the opportunity to go from a late pick long shot to the fan favorite, Conn Smythe winning, Stanley Cup champion, and future captain of the greatest franchise in the NHL. He will give us his all, without question, until the day he retires. To even suggest such a trade is to slap him in the face, so cut the s*** before I vomit all over my keyboard.

Getzlaf is an absolute beast. People here saying Z is way better in the playoffs and thats why we should keep him over Getzlaf aren't remembering a couple years ago when Getz almost single handedly knocked us out. There are so many people on here underrating him it is absurd. Right now they are probably about par on skill level with a 5 year age difference and Getz just coming into his prime, not to mention Z's back problems.

That being said I wouldn't make the trade just because of our loyalty being a reason why players want to come here etc.

If loyalty is not a factor and its just a straight up trade I would make it. A guy 5 years younger, is going to keep getting better for about 5 years, pretty tough and has shown he is a very solid playoff performer is something I would love on this team, just not at the expense of us losing our teams reputation of loyalty.

Sometimes this board is ridiculous with the amount of homerism. Yeah theyre both great players and if you wouldn't make the trade thats fine, but the way some of you down talk what Getz is capable of makes him sound like a thrid line player. Z and G are both almost on par skill wise with Z taking the defensive nod.

Getz might be a great player, but so is Hank. Hank's skillset is more suited to both our system and our other personnel. He's a better goal scorer than Getzlaf, and that's something were already lacking.

The only thing Getzlaf has on Hank is his age. Hank is a better player right now, and a much better fit on our team. Trading him for Getz would be stupid.

Getz might be a great player, but so is Hank. Hank's skillset is more suited to both our system and our other personnel. He's a better goal scorer than Getzlaf, and that's something were already lacking.

The only thing Getzlaf has on Hank is his age. Hank is a better player right now, and a much better fit on our team. Trading him for Getz would be stupid.

I wouldn't say hank is a better player rigt now, I would say they are different players and already agreed making that trade would be stupid. As for the system, players of that high level will fit into any system really and a puck possession style would fit Getzlafs skill set perfectly.

I wouldn't make the trade but if I were to do a league wide draft right now to build an expansion team I would take Getz before Z for sure.

Getzlaf is a big, physical center and a very good playmaker. He can score a decent amount of goals. He is no better than average defensively.

Zetterberg is good sized, can play physical, has a very good shot, is a good playmaker, and is one of if not the best shut down forward in the league.

Getzlaf is one of the top 15-20 forwards in the league. Zetterberg is one of the top 5. In three years, who knows. But this team is built around Zetterberg. It would be like the 1992-93 Wings trading a 28-year old Yzerman to Quebec for a 22-year old Mats Sundin. A big, strong, young Sundin had just scored 114 points and placed among the league's top scorers. It could be reasonably argued based on this thread that he would excel well offensively beyond Yzerman's performance through the 90s as he was much younger and not yet in his prime, while Yzerman was heading towards the downside of his career. Yet such was not the case. Sundin and Yzerman typically posted comparable offensive numbers in most seasons.

Getzlaf is a big, physical center and a very good playmaker. He can score a decent amount of goals. He is no better than average defensively.

Zetterberg is good sized, can play physical, has a very good shot, is a good playmaker, and is one of if not the best shut down forward in the league.

Getzlaf is one of the top 15-20 forwards in the league. Zetterberg is one of the top 5. In three years, who knows. But this team is built around Zetterberg. It would be like the 1992-93 Wings trading a 28-year old Yzerman to Quebec for a 22-year old Mats Sundin. A big, strong, young Sundin had just scored 114 points and placed among the league's top scorers. It could be reasonably argued based on this thread that he would excel well offensively beyond Yzerman's performance through the 90s as he was much younger and not yet in his prime, while Yzerman was heading towards the downside of his career. Yet such was not the case. Sundin and Yzerman typically posted comparable offensive numbers in most seasons.

I dnuno if I would say that. We all love Z here but top 5 I dunno. He's not even the top forward on Detroit. The Sundin comparison isn't even close either. Yzerman is an all time great had a 155 point season and it was obvious Yzerman was turning that team around. Getzlaf and Sundin is pretty close, both powerforwards, put up a lot of points, but Z isn't near the level Yzerman was on. Z has scored 90 points twice but usually puts up a bit over 70. Thats great considering his defensive capabilities but it doesn't really make him a top 5 forward in the game with numbers like that. I know stats aren't everything but to be top 5 in the league you need to be putting up around 90 points consistently I think.

Guest Crymson

It's hilarious how you're always trying to convince people that other teams are better than the Wings, and how you're always trying to convince others that stars on other teams are far better than the stars that play with the Wings.

It's sad, IMO. You just want to set yourself up to not be disappointed if the Wings don't win it all every year.

It's hilarious how you're always trying to convince people that other teams are better than the Wings, and how you're always trying to convince others that stars on other teams are far better than the stars that play with the Wings.

It's sad, IMO. You just want to set yourself up to not be disappointed if the Wings don't win it all every year.

What are you on? I talk about how Getzlaf is a solid player that I eouldn't trade Z for, then I say Z probably isn't a top 5 forward in the league and back it up with reasons. I think its funny how people on this board can never hear one bad thing about a red wing or else you hate the wings. Its pathetic. I said Z is a great player, you need to give your head a shake man, he got 70 points this year, he's a great player, not god.

Find an example of me convincing everyone that other teams stars are better then the wings (which I didn't even do in this thread) and maybe you'll get a little bit of your credibility from me back. Until then you're just one of those homer fans on here who can't look at this team realistically.

I dnuno if I would say that. We all love Z here but top 5 I dunno. He's not even the top forward on Detroit. The Sundin comparison isn't even close either. Yzerman is an all time great had a 155 point season and it was obvious Yzerman was turning that team around. Getzlaf and Sundin is pretty close, both powerforwards, put up a lot of points, but Z isn't near the level Yzerman was on. Z has scored 90 points twice but usually puts up a bit over 70. Thats great considering his defensive capabilities but it doesn't really make him a top 5 forward in the game with numbers like that. I know stats aren't everything but to be top 5 in the league you need to be putting up around 90 points consistently I think.

Zetterberg is one of the five best forwards in the league. Yzerman was such in 1993. Sundin was one of the top 15-20 in 1993, while Getzlaf is today. The playing styles are similar, and the age gaps are similar. As for Getzlaf putting up "a lot of points" while Z puts up "a bit over 70" let's look at something:

Getzlaf has scored 68 goals and 242 points in 224 games over the past three seasons.

Zetterberg has scored 97 goals and 235 points in 226 games over the same three seasons.

Getzlaf averaged 23 goals and 81 points in 75 games to Zetterberg's 32 goals and 78 points in 75 games.

Hardly a significant scoring difference. Certainly not enough to offset Z's defensive ability or clutch performance.

I actually like Getzlaf, but the more I see him, the more I wonder if our perspective of him here might actually be a bit inflated, because for whatever reason the guy kills the Wings singlehandedly.

There's no denying he's a great player. But it seems like he often brings his best when he plays the Wings. I've heard from some Ducks fans about him disappearing for long stretches and having some lazy tendencies.

I'd love to have him on the Wings, but at the cost of Zetterberg? Not so much.

EDIT: and why did the OP get so many minuses just for making this suggestion? It was pretty good idea for a thread and elicited discussion here when there's not much else going on.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I actually like Getzlaf, but the more I see him, the more I wonder if our perspective of him here might actually be a bit inflated, because for whatever reason the guy kills the Wings singlehandedly.

There's no denying he's a great player. But it seems like he often brings his best when he plays the Wings. I've heard from some Ducks fans about him disappearing for long stretches and having some lazy tendencies.

I'd love to have him on the Wings, but at the cost of Zetterberg? Not so much.

EDIT: and why did the OP get so many minuses just for making this suggestion? It was pretty good idea for a thread and elicited discussion here when there's not much else going on.

oh yes he does... and it makes me cry... lol

Guest PatKaneInHumane

one of the worst trade ideas ive seen.

1. It was hypothetical

2. You clearly weren't a fan in the 80s;)