Wasn't the original question "would you trade Getzlaf for Zetterberg?"
So I have a few...
1) Why is the OP getting so blasted for a interesting question that has almost no chance of ever panning out?
2) Zetterberg is a great player. Getzlaf is a great player. They both pretty much had the same season and both have strengths and weaknesses. Age is a factor, but so is Zetterberg's underrated abilities. Whatever it is that you want in a team. Is this that complicated for all of you?
3) How come whenever there is a discussion like this everyone proceeds to blast the 'other' player? It's like these people who like say how much Sidney Crosby sucks. He's a talented player and can handle himself off the ice. Do I want him to win even one game? No.
Maybe that's a bad example.... I'm going to go dry heave now for even typing that.
5) Why is GMR such a douchebag?
4) Why doesn't Crymson smoke more weed he visits this forum?
Some many questions.....
What the heck. I have time on my hands. Here's some many answers.
1)He's getting blasted because he is suggesting that we trade one of OUR talented players for the talented player from an icky team. We are homers. This does not compute. Wings good. Ducks bad. Brain full.
2)Yep. Too complicated. See above.
3)Wings good. Ducks bad. See above.
5)He's a lawyer.
4)It interferes with his use of prepositions and concept of numerical order.
Seriously, I think it is because Hank is the next Face of the Franchise. To go against Hank is, on a certain level, to go against the Wings.
Personally, I love what Getzlaf brings to the table, but I wouldn't trade Z for him. Z is more than just a great player. He has come through for us in tight situations. Remember the 5-3 "Conn Smythe shift" of '08? He has earned our loyalty. To consider trading him for someone else, even someone as talented as Getz, is anathema.
It's like defending your family. You know their flaws, but you tend to overlook them because they're your kin. They are a part of you. Your sister may be a ****, but you'd climb a water tower at 3 in the morning with a bucket of paint to defend her honour.
Hank has established himself here. That's pretty much all there is to it.
Money on the board: Current total: $6
$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.
Hamsters I have had: (current Wings highlighted)
Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik
Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert
Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan
Andrew Patrick Ian Todd
Jordin Damien Gustav James