• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#141 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

The line he played on was frightening, not Gezlaf by himself.

This is really important. Gats didn't play in game 4 due to flue... Remeber result? 6:3. Then he is back and we look bad. Who is the major reason for that? His line of Perry and Selanne (sometimes Ebbet or Ryan) or Getzlaf himself? Getzlaf was playing againgt the Red Wings and he lost.

PS Don't get me wrong I love to death our centers, Zetter and Dats... There are no players in this league I would trade any of them (yeas, Crosby included).... except for R. Getzlaf.

PPS A guy who CAN TAKE OVER THE GAME? And there is only one in this league now.

Edited by RusDRW, 10 July 2010 - 09:35 PM.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#142 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

This is really important. Gats didn't play in game 4 due to flue... Remeber result? 6:3. Then he is back and we look bad. Who is the major reason for that? His line of Perry and Selanne (sometimes Ebbet or Ryan) or Getzlaf himself? Getzlaf was playing againgt the Red Wings and he lost.

If you have a line with your two best pure scorers and your best playmaker and you then remove the playmaker, the snipers will really have a lot more difficulty in scoring. It's basic logic.

PS Don't get me wrong I love to death our centers, Zetter and Dats... There are no players in this league I would trade any of them (yeas, Crosby included).... except for R. Getzlaf.

Great. You're very much entitled to your own opinion. Also important is the awareness and acceptance of the fact that others may not agree with it.

And who is that? It's not Getzlaf, right?

#143 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

That is not only a NO but that is an "Oh HELL NO!"
Posted Image

#144 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

You are using poor logic to assume that Getzlaf was the only reason the line was doing well. The entire line as a whole was dominant. Without Getzlaf they faltered, and likely without Perry or Ryan they also would have faltered.

Also if you would take Ryan Getzlaf over Sidney "I score 100 points every year and am in the top 5 in playoff ppg" Crosby then you have an issue. Hate him or not Crosby is arguably the best player in the league right now.

Posted Image

#145 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

Umm... news: Ducks fans were afraid of Zetterberg and Datsyuk. We're not afraid of them because they're on our team. That we were concerned about him doesn't make him better than the two of them.

Look, you shared your opinion in your first post. You asked people a question. They gave you their opinions. Stop trying to act as if those people are wrong about their opinions.

That sentence coming from you is prettyf****** hilarious.

#146 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

That sentence coming from you is prettyf****** hilarious.

Ow. You're hurting me so badly, baby.

#147 yzerman3cups

yzerman3cups

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

I think the whole thing to me depends on what my teams status is. Am I a team that has no chance at the cup and is in a rebuilding mode? If so I may make the trade for the younger player. If my team is one that has a chance at the cup no way I make the trade and that is the position the Wings are in. Why would I trade a player who is a great shut down defensive forward who scores in the playoffs for a player in Getzlaf who takes stupid penalties is good but not great defensively but might score a little more?!?!

#148 DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

NFW he is to damm good defensivley :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :!: :!: :!: :thumbdown:

#149 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

NFW he is to damm good defensivley :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image :thumbdown:

Sometimes keeping it short and sweet makes the overall best sense. WIN. :thumbup:
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#150 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

You are using poor logic to assume that Getzlaf was the only reason the line was doing well. The entire line as a whole was dominant. Without Getzlaf they faltered, and likely without Perry or Ryan they also would have faltered.

Also if you would take Ryan Getzlaf over Sidney "I score 100 points every year and am in the top 5 in playoff ppg" Crosby then you have an issue. Hate him or not Crosby is arguably the best player in the league right now.

I agree about the Crosby thing but the Getzlaf thing, not so much.

If ou watched that series you would know Getzlaf was completely the driving force behind the Ducks and noone else was even close to on his level.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#151 Cover3

Cover3

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

I would do Z for Getz straight up anyday, but it wouldn't happen

#152 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

I would do Z for Getz straight up anyday, but it wouldn't happen

Anything else to maybe why you would want to get rid of quite possibly our best all around player?
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#153 Cover3

Cover3

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

Anything else to maybe why you would want to get rid of quite possibly our best all around player?

he's younger, and he's gonna be a stud for the years to come, that's the only reason really and anyway i don't really want Z gone so..

#154 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Wasn't the original question "would you trade Getzlaf for Zetterberg?"

So I have a few...

1) Why is the OP getting so blasted for a interesting question that has almost no chance of ever panning out?

2) Zetterberg is a great player. Getzlaf is a great player. They both pretty much had the same season and both have strengths and weaknesses. Age is a factor, but so is Zetterberg's underrated abilities. Whatever it is that you want in a team. Is this that complicated for all of you?

3) How come whenever there is a discussion like this everyone proceeds to blast the 'other' player? It's like these people who like say how much Sidney Crosby sucks. He's a talented player and can handle himself off the ice. Do I want him to win even one game? No.

Maybe that's a bad example.... I'm going to go dry heave now for even typing that.

5) Why is GMR such a douchebag?

4) Why doesn't Crymson smoke more weed he visits this forum?

Some many questions.....

#155 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'd do it.

#156 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Wasn't the original question "would you trade Getzlaf for Zetterberg?"

So I have a few...

1) Why is the OP getting so blasted for a interesting question that has almost no chance of ever panning out?

2) Zetterberg is a great player. Getzlaf is a great player. They both pretty much had the same season and both have strengths and weaknesses. Age is a factor, but so is Zetterberg's underrated abilities. Whatever it is that you want in a team. Is this that complicated for all of you?

3) How come whenever there is a discussion like this everyone proceeds to blast the 'other' player? It's like these people who like say how much Sidney Crosby sucks. He's a talented player and can handle himself off the ice. Do I want him to win even one game? No.

Maybe that's a bad example.... I'm going to go dry heave now for even typing that.

5) Why is GMR such a douchebag?

4) Why doesn't Crymson smoke more weed he visits this forum?

Some many questions.....

What the heck. I have time on my hands. Here's some many answers.
1)He's getting blasted because he is suggesting that we trade one of OUR talented players for the talented player from an icky team. We are homers. This does not compute. Wings good. Ducks bad. Brain full.

2)Yep. Too complicated. See above.

3)Wings good. Ducks bad. See above.

5)He's a lawyer.

4)It interferes with his use of prepositions and concept of numerical order.

Seriously, I think it is because Hank is the next Face of the Franchise. To go against Hank is, on a certain level, to go against the Wings.

Personally, I love what Getzlaf brings to the table, but I wouldn't trade Z for him. Z is more than just a great player. He has come through for us in tight situations. Remember the 5-3 "Conn Smythe shift" of '08? He has earned our loyalty. To consider trading him for someone else, even someone as talented as Getz, is anathema.

It's like defending your family. You know their flaws, but you tend to overlook them because they're your kin. They are a part of you. Your sister may be a ****, but you'd climb a water tower at 3 in the morning with a bucket of paint to defend her honour.

Hank has established himself here. That's pretty much all there is to it.

#157 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

Your sister may be a ****, but you'd climb a water tower at 3 in the morning with a bucket of paint to defend her honour.

Win.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#158 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

That is not only a NO but that is an "Oh HELL NO!"

Thank you.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#159 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

NO THAT'S A BIG F'N NO. NEVER NOT AT ALL FORGET IT F-NO.

#160 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

This loyalty stuff is Hocum, hockey is a business... loyalty is why we have Draper still and may eat another year of Maltby two guys well past their best before dates.

And it's also why players take discounts to play here. You say hocum, I say smart business, regardless if the Wings have to eat a mil or two to save 5 to 7 mil.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".