• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevie12

Miller and Eaves likely to file for arbitration?

Rate this topic

If Holland cannot sign Miller and Eaves by today then they are eligible to file for arbitration. With a look at a couple of guys still on the board, I wouldn't mind seeing John Madden in the red and white. I would say he has more speed, equal ability on the PK, and probably greater offensively.

Just a thought if the arbitrator grants Miller and Eaves favourable contracts.

Anddddddddddddd Discuss.

If Holland cannot sign Miller and Eaves by today then they are eligible to file for arbitration. With a look at a couple of guys still on the board, I wouldn't mind seeing John Madden in the red and white. I would say he has more speed, equal ability on the PK, and probably greater offensively.

Just a thought if the arbitrator grants Miller and Eaves favourable contracts.

Anddddddddddddd Discuss.

Eaves>Madden>Miller

Here's a stat that I dig...well, I'll ask it in the form of a question...

How many RFA's has Holland failed to work out a deal with before arbitration became necessary, whether the players filed or not?

The answer is telling of my concern, or lack thereof, in getting deals done for Miller and my favorite new Wing, who I already hope will finish his career as a Wing, Patrick Eaves.

How many RFA's has Holland failed to work out a deal with before arbitration became necessary, whether the players filed or not?

The answer is telling of my concern, or lack thereof, in getting deals done for Miller and my favorite new Wing, who I already hope will finish his career as a Wing, Patrick Eaves.

Huds?

As stated above, I would not be surprised if both were signed before they reach arbitration hearings. It is in the players best interest to file for arbitration even if they plan on being signing before the hearing, just in case things don't work out.

Huds?

While Hudler went through arbitration, it was more a matter of technicality due to his Russian contract, as Holland and Hudler agreed to a contract before arbitration. So for all intents and purposes, Holland's record is still intact.

"In effect, the Red Wings and Hudler agreed to the deal before the hearing, but lawyers for both sides went through the arbitration process because Hudler did not want the KHL to think he had negotiated a contract beforehand, which might have jeopardized his deal with Dynamo. The KHL maintained it was free to sign Hudler because he was a restricted free agent who didn't have an NHL contract."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/08/arbiter_awards_jiri_hudler_two.html

Guest blueadams

There's a chance Holland lets them both walk in order to sign Modano, isn't there?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Modano-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Abdelkader

Ritola

There's a chance Holland lets them both walk in order to sign Modano, isn't there?

Hudler-Modano-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Abdelkader

Ritola

If he were to let Miller walk and presuming that we don't sign Lilja and Meech, we may have the ability to sign Mikey. Still think he won't take a cut though

Hudler-Modano-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Abdelkader

Ritola

and this is why i don't want modano. Tired of seeing the wings lose young players to sign some 40 year old. Not saying modano would be bad but for just one year and to lose 2 solid young players over him is not worth it IMO.

I still say some team out there will offer him 2M and he won't sign with the wings. At least it seems thats what he's holding out for since the wings were the only team to offer him and if he really wanted to be a wing he would have signed.

It'd be neat to sign Modano, just to have a fresh, cheap face. But in reality the Wings should probably pick up their 6th defenseman (if it's not going to be Janik, Meech, Lilja, etc.) and save some money for the trade deadline. The team was good enough to make the playoffs despite all the horrible things that happened, so they'll be okay until the trade deadline. And then we could make a big move to make a deep run. There's no one we NEED to sign this off-season. The crop is pretty poor. But at the trade deadline a real impact player could be picked up.

there is NO way you let Eaves get away under ANY circumstance - it was not a mistake that he was a 20 goal scorer in this league and has tons of hockey sense, not to mention can literally play on any line in any role, has a cannon of a shot and is never afraid to get his nose dirty... he is the EXACT kind of player you need to win and as you said, has instantly become one of my new top favorite Wings and needs to finish his career in the Winged wheel

there is NO way you let Eaves get away under ANY circumstance - it was not a mistake that he was a 20 goal scorer in this league and has tons of hockey sense, not to mention can literally play on any line in any role, has a cannon of a shot and is never afraid to get his nose dirty... he is the EXACT kind of player you need to win and as you said, has instantly become one of my new top favorite Wings and needs to finish his career in the Winged wheel

/discussion

Anyone else read how Babcock was saying that he's planning on scaling back the ice-time for his defense (Lidstrom and Rafalski), especially the first half of the season so that would mean that Ericsson would need to play 20 minutes more often and they're counting on that and for him to improve alongside a good stay at home d-man. I wonder if this is also a tactic to get Lilja to return, since his major complaint was wanting more playing time.... I could definitely see this as a wise statement to release on the part of Holland and Babs in order to increase the chances of re-signing Lilja, but also signing a good 6th d-man in general. Not only are you going to play more minutes than most 3rd pairings, but you are also going to be counted on to give Ericsson a boost and help out a young kid improve. So you're a valued commodity, even at the 6 spot.

I think we should let Miller walk, re-sign Eaves and sign Modano - granted he takes 1 mill or less. Modano is not some old hack, he will bolster our 3rd line better than any option we have right now. The planned third line is Hudler - Abdelkader - Cleary... swap out Abs and put in Modano and you have one of the better 3rd lines in the league. Enough said.

Well said. There is no doubt we havent seen the best of Patrick Eaves yet. He is definitely has 40 point potential here and possibly even more.

Whatever +1 means, and I think it's good, you get one from me for this. I absolutely, completely agree. I love Eaves and as great as he was this last year, I think he still has a lot to show. I had a real good feeling about him heading into last season and when he finally got his chance, he really delivered.

Another thing I don't believe you mentioned, though likely inferred, was just how great of a head he has on his shoulders. He's a smart guy with a great work ethic who isn't about taking anything for granted. He seems to come from a good hockey family that instilled real good values in him.

I will be utterly and completely devastated if we don't lock him up. He has fast become one of my favorite players, old or new. You just know you've got a good guy on your hands when he gets dumped by his drafting team, comes in for $500k, works his ass off in camp showing up for every extra meeting or practice for every role just to learn as much as he can, only to not get much of a chance as the season started. And does he keep working hard?!? You bet! Harder and harder, until he got a chance, and even then he kept working, and as we all know, he certainly kept his spot in the lineup down the stretch. And I'm hoping for another 10-15 years of it!

Man, can't say it enough, I love Patrick Eaves.

is it even possible for their arbitration to be that outrageous? They still are only 4th liners

I guess the main downside is they would be awarded one or two year deals, and then after that would become unrestricted free agents. It's possible this is how they want it, though, since they stand to have a lot to gain by performing in the short-term and cashing in long-term.

In fact I bet they would reject any reasonable multi-year offer from Holland to avoid ending up in a Sammy-type situation.

I say keep Eaves & Miller and trade Draper to TB for a draft pick to ease up some cap space. Draps PK time last year was virtually nil when Miller came on board and Eaves has alot more to offer than Draps does now. Leader in the locker room goes so far but he gets paid for his on ice performance and that dwindled towards seasons end. With Babs indicating that he wants the 3 pairing having more icetime next year may be seen as persuading Lils to stay or go after a higher grade D man. I dont buy into the Modano thing, we need to get younger and give the I/T to them. I'd like us to go after Arty as the grit guy, think he could finally find a home at the Joe and he has untapped talent that would make him worth having. Plus I think the Wings fans would have a new cult guy if he came. The other scenario is that Kindl could come up and shine and give Kenny another headache. Alot of ifs and buts here I know, but it could be done.

John Madden made 2.75 million last year for the Hawks. There is no way on earth I'd be willing to pay that much for a 4th liner. Even if he took a huge discount, it would still be too much to pay.

Eaves is young, and can do everything that Madden does, sans cups.

Miller... well I've said all along that I want him gone. We have like 6 players that do exactly what he does, only better.

I'm sick of hearing about Drew Miller.Just get rid of him already.He doesn't provide anything we don't already have.

Exactly. He came in and did a nice job when we were decimated with injuries, but we dont need him anymore. Let him go. Especially if he wants more than $500-550k. We can easily find someone in that price range to be our 13-14th forward, which is what MIller is here.

I say keep Eaves & Miller and trade Draper to TB for a draft pick to ease up some cap space. Draps PK time last year was virtually nil when Miller came on board and Eaves has alot more to offer than Draps does now. Leader in the locker room goes so far but he gets paid for his on ice performance and that dwindled towards seasons end. With Babs indicating that he wants the 3 pairing having more icetime next year may be seen as persuading Lils to stay or go after a higher grade D man. I dont buy into the Modano thing, we need to get younger and give the I/T to them. I'd like us to go after Arty as the grit guy, think he could finally find a home at the Joe and he has untapped talent that would make him worth having. Plus I think the Wings fans would have a new cult guy if he came. The other scenario is that Kindl could come up and shine and give Kenny another headache. Alot of ifs and buts here I know, but it could be done.

The problem with Draper is that I think he has an NTC in his contract. So it's very unlikely he would want to move at this stage in his career. I completely agree, I think Drapers is only a locker-room guy these days, and I really hope he gets the Chelios treatment where he will only play every other game or something like that to give playing time to Ritola. I do think Modano would be good for the team this season as I think he still has something in the tank, has good wheels still, and can put up reasonable points for the amount of money he'd earn. He'd also be a great center to have on the 3rd line. I am also not going to be upset if we don't get him, as I am happy with the team as it is (besides adding someone with some size and bite). Eaves is a must keep, he is someone that can play in all situations, and if we start grooming him properly, we could get him back into the scoring ways, the only problem is that I think he has gotten accustomed to the defensive side and that's his niche now... but you can tell he still has that scoring touch. I hope he gets it back. I believe Miller, as much as I think he's a good player and a good guy, is redundant on this team. If it were to come down to him or Ritola, I would give Rit the chance to show how he can play. Sure, Miller is a fellow alum and a hometown boy, but that shouldn't be a reason to keep him around.

We'll do good things this offseason and I think we have a good season coming up.