Photo
- - - - -

How wont the Wings be the favorites to win the west?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

I've heard all this Vancouver/San Jose talk around the interweb, but how arent the Wings the top dogs? The Wings are far more balanced than any team in the West. Hank, Datsyuk, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Cleary all can score 40+ points. I think Helm and Eaves will only improve. I like what we have in Abdelkader. I dont know that theres a better 1-2 punch on defense with Nick and Rafalski. I expect Kronwall to play better. Brad Stuart is steady. The big question is in goal, but I have to believe either Howie or Ozzie will step forward.

Starting with Vancouver.

Yeah, the Sedin twins and Ryan Kesler are great players. Alex Burrows, Mikael Samuelsson are nice. They still have to fit Mason Raymond in somehow. That'll be a nice group of six players, but after that, what else is there? Looking at their roster it's Manny Maholtra and a bunch of single digit point producers. It doesnt appear that they will be able to bring back Kyle Wellwood or Pavol Demitra without cutting some salary.

Their defense is very solid, though. They have six pretty steady defenseman. In goal, I really believe Luongo is overrated.

San Jose.

I look at a roster that has the best group of top six forwards in the NHL, some nice secondary forwards, a very weak defense, and a very weak group of goalies.

LA.

They are an up and coming team but are Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty and company really ready to compete with the Wings? I dont think so.

1. Detroit
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. Los Angeles
5th seed is up for grabs. I still think Chicago is pretty solid but it looks like they may lose even more off their roster.

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

We are the best team in the West.

However, the media will once again mention how we're the oldest team in the NHL and how our run is over. We haven't done anything in the offseason to get any younger, so that talk will only get perpetuated further.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

I agree the Wings are looking good next year if they can stay healthy. For the few months after the Olympics when we had our actual roster on the ice, we were definitely the best team in the league.

San Jose wont be able to dominate the regular season like they usually do without Nabokov. Vancouver is the new SJ in terms of choking in the playoffs.

L.A. is the team that worries me the most, ESPECIALLY if they land Kovalchuk.

One thing you didn't mention is that we also have the best coach in the league right now.

Whether we land Modano or not, we have great depth options for our 3rd and 4th lines.

Lets get the season started already!
Posted Image

#4 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,782 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

Detroit, like usual, will be right there with the best of them at the end of the season.

L.A. is the team that worries me the most, ESPECIALLY if they land Kovalchuk.

It looks as if that's not something to worry about anymore.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#5 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Detroit, like usual, will be right there with the best of them at the end of the season.

It looks as if that's not something to worry about anymore.

Ah didn't see this yet.
Posted Image

#6 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

The Wings aren't the favorite because they're not clearly better than LA, Vancouver, or SJ. You could make a logical argument that any of these four teams will be first in the conference next year; therefore, Detroit is not going to be the overall favorite.

#7 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

Everything relies on Kronwall and his ability to take the next step and be a #1 defenseman.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#8 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

Despite LA not landing Kovy, they still are the team in the West that worries me the most. I predict that our record against them will be the worst out of all the teams we play next season.

Posted Image

#9 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Because the Wings play better when the media says they won't win the west.

#10 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Everything relies on Kronwall and his ability to take the next step and be a #1 defenseman.

i feel like Kronwall will only take that next step when he is actually put into that spot, i.e. lidstrom retires

#11 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,782 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

i feel like Kronwall will only take that next step when he is actually put into that spot, i.e. lidstrom retires

I can see him getting a few more minutes this season in preparation for that.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#12 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Kronwall was taking that step before Laraque hit him. Also, bear in mind that the central is a much tougher division than, say, the NW...
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#13 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

I can see him getting a few more minutes this season in preparation for that.

Babcock already said he's scaling back on the first pair minutes and that you'll see Ericsson playing 20 minutes sometimes, so that makes me think you'll also see Kronwall and Stuart playing more time too.

#14 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Kronwall was taking that step before Laraque hit him. Also, bear in mind that the central is a much tougher division than, say, the NW...

When he hit 50pts for the first time in the 08-09 season it looked like he took that step. The problem is that he hasn't been the same since Laraque. We'll have to wait and see if he fully recovers (and I think he will).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#15 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Babcock already said he's scaling back on the first pair minutes and that you'll see Ericsson playing 20 minutes sometimes, so that makes me think you'll also see Kronwall and Stuart playing more time too.

:scared:

#16 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

Can't really say we're the clear cut favorite, since the top 4-5 is up for grabs IMO, but the media will always bandwagon on the hot commodity.

#17 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

How wont the Wings be the favorites to win the west?

Ummm, because we didn't win the cup this year? Remember how mad people were whenever a blogger suggested we might not be the favorites after winning the cup?

#18 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

1. Detroit
2. Vancouver
3. LA
4. San Jose
5. Chicago
6. Nashville