• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Why not Aaron Ward?

Rate this topic

Ward isn't what I would want. I think we're forgetting when Lilja was brought here he was pretty mean and I think Holland will go looking to replace him with some meanness as well. Ward isn't that guy in my opinion. I'm hoping Hnidy or Exelby at this point.

Ward isn't what I would want. I think we're forgetting when Lilja was brought here he was pretty mean and I think Holland will go looking to replace him with some meanness as well. Ward isn't that guy in my opinion. I'm hoping Hnidy or Exelby at this point.

ya same, i wasnt a fan of Exelby but he is growing on me plus this is just awsome

how about Shane Hnidy ?

6'2 210lbs 70gp 14pts last season 750k

(#34 bruins)

could be alright on the 3rd pairing

Off topic, but I am SO glad that Ken Daniels doesn't act like that retard. I'd probably have to watch games on mute if I was a Bruins fan.

Edited by lookalive07

Guest Crymson

ya same, i wasnt a fan of Exelby but he is growing on me plus this is just awsome

That was three years ago. He has had a concussion since then, and he no longer hits nearly as much. You're also not considering the fact that he pretty much sucks at everything.

Shane Hnidy

Garnet Exelby

Andy Sutton (Please)

Brendan Witt

Tim Conboy (plays both forward and defense)

Carlo Colaiacovo

Nick Boynton

Nathan McIver

Looks like Colaiacovo may re-sign with St.Louis

Colaiacovo signed for 2 years with St. Louis. He got something between 1.5 and 2 million per.

I think Exelby could be a smart choice because his stock is real low right now after being sucked into the Toronto black hole. Hnidy would be great but I bet he gets a decent raise. Sutton would cost too much but if he was willing to take a hair cut to come here I'm sure he'd receive a hero's welcome.

Why not Aaron Ward?

How about because we want to spend less than $1m and get a defenseman who can actually skate?

The Wings' defense right now is this:

Lidstrom

Kronwall

Rafalski

Stuart

Ericsson

Kindl

Meech?

Janik

Hnidy is a possiblity, if he takes a pay cut. Boynton won't sign for under $1m, and certainly not the $750k he would have to, unless he's forced to given what he was making last year. Exelby would be decent if he takes $750k, but he's barely an upgrade over Janik so I don't know if that's even worth it. Sutton is going to cost more than the Wings can afford. On the open market he might even get Kronwall/Stuart type money.

Guest Crymson

Yeah I'd be happy with Exelby.He's still fairly young.He would be a good mentor for Ericsson.The last thing I wanna see is Kindl and E paired up.You wanna talk about turnovers?:o

How would a defenseman who has absolutely no offensive or puck-moving abilities whatsoever and very suspect defensive awareness be a good mentor for Ericsson? On what are you basing that qualification?

I am hoping for either Hnidy or McKee with no particular favorite of the two, well maybe Hnidy because I saw more of him playing for the B's.

Hnidy is a tough SOB and that is what Holland said he wanted.

Hnidy on the third pairing would be nice, so I guess Hnidy over McKee, maybe I do have a preference after all!

That was three years ago. He has had a concussion since then, and he no longer hits nearly as much. You're also not considering the fact that he pretty much sucks at everything.

He stills play a wreckless style of hockey, hits plenty and fights plenty as well. He stil hits like a truck and more often then anyone else on our team and more then Lilja ever did.

As for him sucking at everything, he's just as good of a shot blocker as Lilja, meaner, hits more, fights more and better, protects his goalie and is under the age of 30. He's much better than Lilja when he first came here and is pretty much teh same situation. Lilja played for crappy teams then came to Detroit and got good. Exelby is just as mobile as Lilja, same offensively, just tougher.

Give Exelby a season here and he's is better then Lilja I bet. Its fine if you don't like him since he is a rough player and all but he is one of the most realistic replacements available

Guest Crymson

He stills play a wreckless style of hockey, hits plenty and fights plenty as well. He stil hits like a truck and more often then anyone else on our team and more then Lilja ever did.

Exelby used to be a physical, hard-hitting player. Not anymore. Ever since his concussion, he has lost much of that. You claim that Exelby hits more often than anyone on the Wings? You're wrong. He had 87 hits in 51 games last season. In the hits per game category of last season, that put a bit behind Kronwall, well behind Lilja (yes, you're wrong on that as well) and a huge amount behind Stuart, and only a bit ahead of the notoriously-soft Ericsson (if we're looking at forwards as well, he also ranked behind Abdelkader, Cleary, Helm and Eaves; this would be fair, given that you said he hits far more than anyone on the team). You claim that he he "hits like a truck"? That's pure fantasy too, as he hasn't laid down a good hit since 2008. He fights plenty? Right. He has had all of 14 fights, in total, over the last four seasons.

Are there any more fallacious claims you'd like to get off your chest? I'd be happy to address those; honestly, though, it seems to me that you said all of this without researching any of it.

As for him sucking at everything, he's just as good of a shot blocker as Lilja, meaner, hits more, fights more and better, protects his goalie and is under the age of 30. He's much better than Lilja when he first came here and is pretty much teh same situation. Lilja played for crappy teams then came to Detroit and got good. Exelby is just as mobile as Lilja, same offensively, just tougher.

Ever since his concussion, he hits less than Lilja; his number of fights is low enough that the difference is not significant; and as absentminded as Lilja can get, Exelby is worse. That's why he's barely ever played on the penalty kill; of all of Toronto's defensemen last season, only Kaberle played less shorthanded time per game than Exelby did. While their offensive numbers are comparable, Lilja can make the first pass out of the zone; Exelby cannot. He lacks every sort of offensive awareness.

Lilja is a much better player. Fans of the Maple Leafs would laugh at the praise you're currently giving Exelby. Whereas Wings fans have good things to say about Lilja, most Leafs fans seem to have little use for Exelby. I suspect your praise for him wouldn't exist if you actually knew what you were talking about.

Give Exelby a season here and he's is better then Lilja I bet. Its fine if you don't like him since he is a rough player and all but he is one of the most realistic replacements available

Frankly, I don't like him (or, rather, the idea of him being on the team) because I think he sucks at the game.

Edited by Crymson

Exelby used to be a physical, hard-hitting player. Not anymore. Ever since his concussion, he has lost much of that. You claim that Exelby hits more often than anyone on the Wings? You're wrong. He had 87 hits in 51 games last season. In the hits per game category of last season, that put a bit behind Kronwall, well behind Lilja (yes, you're wrong on that as well) and a huge amount behind Stuart, and only a bit ahead of the notoriously-soft Ericsson (if we're looking at forwards as well, he also ranked behind Abdelkader, Cleary, Helm and Eaves; this would be fair, given that you said he hits far more than anyone on the team). You claim that he he "hits like a truck"? That's pure fantasy too, as he hasn't laid down a good hit since 2008. He fights plenty? Right. He has had all of 14 fights, in total, over the last four seasons.

Are there any more fallacious claims you'd like to get off your chest? I'd be happy to address those; honestly, though, it seems to me that you said all of this without researching any of it.

Ever since his concussion, he hits less than Lilja; his number of fights is low enough that the difference is not significant; and as absentminded as Lilja can get, Exelby is worse. That's why he's barely ever played on the penalty kill; of all of Toronto's defensemen last season, only Kaberle played less shorthanded time per game than Exelby did. While their offensive numbers are comparable, Lilja can make the first pass out of the zone; Exelby cannot. He lacks every sort of offensive awareness.

Lilja is a much better player. Fans of the Maple Leafs would laugh at the praise you're currently giving Exelby. Whereas Wings fans have good things to say about Lilja, most Leafs fans seem to have little use for Exelby. I suspect your praise for him wouldn't exist if you actually knew what you were talking about.

Frankly, I don't like him (or, rather, the idea of him being on the team) because I think he sucks at the game.

Exelby has noticeably hard hits plenty, I'm sure I see him play way more then you do since I watch the same amount of leafs games as I do wings game because of where I live. My best friend is a leafs fan, and likes Exelby so I wouldn't put words in the mouths of leafs fans when youre in Colorado and pretty much all the people I talk to on a daily basis like the leafs. You seem like one of those guys who read the stats and think you know everything about a player, probably read the box score of wings games the day after too and watch espn to get your fill of the wings.

Thats fine but I've seen Exelby play plenty, know most of the s*** you say is way off base. You think I would want a guy who can't actually hit, fight or make a first pass? Lilja is better but we gotta replace his lost toughness and mean streak prior to the concussion somehow. You say Exelby isn't mean because of a concussion and then say you want Lilja...

I would take Lilja back but you seem to be forgetting how awful Lilja was when he came to Detroit. Exelby isn't as good now but he's much better then Lilly was when he came here, Exelby's problems can be fixed with Detroits coaching.

Then you bring up the fact that Lilja hits more then exelby and I've decided youre a stat reader that doesn't watch games, even before the concussion I can not think of Lilja having a big open ice hit or a big hit really at all.

The fight stat is relevant because Exelby was on TO last year. He had other guys to worry bout fighting, in Detroit he would probably fight about 8 times. Lilja wil fight 0 times because of his head.

Its fine if you don't like him because he's a tough, big player but don't try to bend stats and say things like Lilja is a better hitter etc.

Its safe to say he's still tough and takes the body

Edited by newfy

Exelby has noticeably hard hits plenty, I'm sure I see him play way more then you do since I watch the same amount of leafs games as I do wings game because of where I live. My best friend is a leafs fan, and likes Exelby so I wouldn't put words in the mouths of leafs fans when youre in Colorado and pretty much all the people I talk to on a daily basis like the leafs. You seem like one of those guys who read the stats and think you know everything about a player, probably read the box score of wings games the day after too and watch espn to get your fill of the wings.

Thats fine but I've seen Exelby play plenty, know most of the s*** you say is way off base. You think I would want a guy who can't actually hit, fight or make a first pass? Lilja is better but we gotta replace his lost toughness and mean streak prior to the concussion somehow. You say Exelby isn't mean because of a concussion and then say you want Lilja...

I would take Lilja back but you seem to be forgetting how awful Lilja was when he came to Detroit. Exelby isn't as good now but he's much better then Lilly was when he came here, Exelby's problems can be fixed with Detroits coaching.

Then you bring up the fact that Lilja hits more then exelby and I've decided youre a stat reader that doesn't watch games, even before the concussion I can not think of Lilja having a big open ice hit or a big hit really at all.

The fight stat is relevant because Exelby was on TO last year. He had other guys to worry bout fighting, in Detroit he would probably fight about 8 times. Lilja wil fight 0 times because of his head.

Its fine if you don't like him because he's a tough, big player but don't try to bend stats and say things like Lilja is a better hitter etc.

Its safe to say he's still tough and takes the body

Dude, Exelby cant play hockey. Ericsson-Kindl would be much better offensively and Defensively than Ericsson-Exelby or Kindl-Exelby. You dont want him on the Wings. Even if he does have an occasional hit or rare fight, who cares. At the end of the day its our defensemans offensive and defensive capabilities that will win us the game, not their hitting or fighting.

Edited by cjm502