• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Shane Hnidy

Rate this topic

With it looking more and more likely that Holland will sign another defenseman to replace Lilly pads, he'l want someone mean that can still play decent defense. Hnidy is an ideal number 6 dman. He knows when to fight and is very capable but doesn't fight so much that other defenseman will need to be picking up his ice time spent in the box. He was a -6 last year on a team where the top defenseman were -16 and -15. He is capable of playing 12 minutes a game and got 12 points last year on a low scoring defensive group. He is for sure on par offensively with Lilja, compareable defensively and is tougher and meaner.

He's a true stay at home guy and I would love to have Ericcson learning ti style from a guy like Hnidy.

He sticks up for the goalie, Ericcson could learn from this guy.

Thoughts?

I like Shane Hnidy. Every time I see or hear his name though I think of their awful announcer yelling "Sheriff Shane Hnidy!" So as long as Ken and Mickey don't use that nickname or make a new one up for him, I'm cool with him coming here.

id perfer someone younger, this is a lateral move... Same as keeping Lilja just a Canadian name instead of Swedish

It isn't really that lateral. We don't get younger but we do get much tougher, which is something we needed Lilja to provide because our defence are fairly soft infront of the net. We stay the same skill wise and defensively but upgrade our toughness with a guy who will drop the gloves, clear the net front and has a legit mean streak.

Its all thats really available to fill this need cheap at this point, he would be good filler for a year or two until someone younger/better/tougher comes up.

id perfer someone younger, this is a lateral move... Same as keeping Lilja just a Canadian name instead of Swedish

Lateral in a way yes, but you have to consider that with the concussion issue last season, Lilja may never play with much of a bite anymore - not that he had that much to begin with. We need someone who is a little more aggressive and knows when to drop the gloves - Lilja never did that.

stealing my ideas....tisk tisk tisk lol

Well I had myself a week vacation and was thinking about starting a thread about Hnidy whe I was back but you posting about him in the Ward thread reminded me. I figured discussion about him was worthy of its own thread.

Probably the top guy on my list of wants for the D in Det.

He wasn't even top 4 of mine going into FA, but with guys that were kinda pipe dreams in the first place (Boychuk, Vandermeer being bought out and coming here on the cheap) but, out of what's left and what's affordable, I agree 100% - I think he'd be a great fit - right handed shot too! :hehe: