• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwingfan19

Bob Probert passes away at 45

Rate this topic

unfortunately, being the pricks that they are, the Hawks will probably beat us to it, like he was theirs and theirs only...

I swear to God, if they do something with the #24, I will personally burn the United Center down!!! (not really, but I will be pissed!)

I was thinking the same thing. The funny thing is that Probert made his name as a Red Wing and played his prime years here.

Does anybody else find Jimmy Devellano's comments in the TSN article a little bit tasteless, given the timing?

"It's very sad, very, very sad," Red Wings vice president Jim Devellano told the Detroit Free Press. "He was a pretty popular player in Detroit in the '80s, and certainly one tough guy with a lot of ability. But unfortunately we never got 100% out of him because of his off ice problems."

I really don't know what to say here. Growing up in Illinois at the tender age of 4 watching hockey on TV and watching Probert kick the f*** out of everyone in sight...He is the sole reason I started watching the Red Wings. No relatives were into hockey before me, so I didn't have "instruction" to follow the home team, there were no fans in the family.

RIP Bob Probert.

Wild Thing.....I think I love you....

If it's allowable, can someone make a new top banner with Probert photos for LGW? I have no skill in these things.

rip bob

you will be truly missed not just in the hockey world but also to hockey fans around the world.

truly the greatest hockey warrior of all time

thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family on this tragic day

I cannot believe that this is true. We have truely lost a legend this day. RIP Probie, Detroit will never forget.

4977.jpg

You will always be a Hero of Hockeytown, Bob. Rest in Peace.

Thanks for spending 20 minutes with me one day talking about hockey and motorcycles. You made me a fan for life.

Edited by AtomicPunk

Guest blueadams

Does anybody else find Jimmy Devellano's comments in the TSN article a little bit tasteless, given the timing?

"It's very sad, very, very sad," Red Wings vice president Jim Devellano told the Detroit Free Press. "He was a pretty popular player in Detroit in the '80s, and certainly one tough guy with a lot of ability. But unfortunately we never got 100% out of him because of his off ice problems."

Jimmy D probably knows a little bit more about the circumstances of his death than we do...to be saying something like that, right?

Jimmy D probably knows a little bit more about the circumstances of his death than we do...to be saying something like that, right?

either way, take the high road, right? the guy is dead, and made quite a name for himself with the club.

Guest blueadams

either way, take the high road, right? the guy is dead, and made quite a name for himself with the club.

agreed. just trying to guess why such a classy guy would say something like that??

it sounds like he really tried hard to help him off the ice throughout his career. he's probably just very hurt.

Found this a bit ago. Severe chest pains. I am so sad over this today.

Family friend Rich Rogow says Probert, 45, was on a boat in Lake St. Clair with his wife, children and in-laws when he "developed severe chest pains" Monday.

Rogow said Probert, one of the most feared pugilists in the history of the sport, was rushed to Ontario's Windsor Regional Medical Center, where he died. Rogow spoke at an evening news conference at the medical center.

"We have lost one of the toughest players, best power forwards and all-around great guys who ever wore the Winged Wheel," said former teammate Joe Kocur. "My favorite memory of Bob would be sitting down before a game, going over the opposing lineup and picking and choosing who would go first and if the goalie would be safe or not. It was great to be able to go out on the ice knowing that he had my back and I had his.

"He was like the brother I never had. My prayers go out to his family.”

Probert, a tough guy for the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks in the 80's and 90's, held the Red Wings franchise record for career penalty minutes with 2,090 and is fifth on the list of NHL all-time penalty minutes with 3,300.

Bob Probert spent 16 seasons in the NHL playing for the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings. He was drafted by the Wings in 1983.

Bill Smith/NHLI

He was drafted 46th overall by the Red Wings in the 1983 NHL Entry Draft.

“Bob was a part of our very first NHL draft class that also included Steve Yzemran, Joe Kocur, Petr Klima and Stu Grimson," Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch said in a statement. "Bob was always there for his teammates and was one of the toughest men to ever play in the NHL. He also was one of the kindest, most colorful, and beloved players Detroit has ever known.

"We are very saddened by his passing and our thoughts and prayers go out to Bob’s family.”

Horrible news. Before the Wings got really good in the mid-90's, that was my dad and I's favorite player.

He liked him because he said that he made the Wings worth watching back in the 80's.