• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Antti Niemi files for arbitration

Rate this topic

The last good playoff goalie, and we are talking exceptional, was Osgood back in 2008. He posted a 1.55 GAA with a .930 Save percentage in 19 games. In fact, just looking at the cup winning goalies since the lockout, I believe he had the best stats in the last 8 years in the playoffs.

he really did have an exceptional playoff, for sure! Dom was OUTSTANDING in 02 as well...

Certainly never painted him as a scrub but, what has he shown to be ultra impressive aside from having an immensely stacked team lined up in front of him? It is all to be seen where his career goes from here but I don't see it being much.

Its funny how people try to paint Niemi as some scrub goalie the got lucky and won a cup and will have just a mediocre career based off his ROOKIE season....

Many starting goaltenders in the NHL are young goalies who have not proven their ability but as of last season are considered "top goalies" by many because of a small sample.

Some examples of names would include Jonas Hiller, Tuukka Rask, Antti Niemi, Steve Mason, Craig Anderson, Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Quick, Ilya Bryzgalov, and Jaroslav Halak.

Saw this on "Watching the Chicago Blackhawks implode!" on Facebook -

What would Nasville want with him?

Either way the guy went from a #1 goalie on a Stanley Cup winning team to a backup for less money than he was awarded at arbitration. I almost guarantee it.

That's why once I have a kid and he undoubtedly becomes an NHLer I'll be his agent and do what's best for him rather than what's best for my pocket book. If I was Niemi I'd be strangling my agent right now.