• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Antti Niemi files for arbitration

Rate this topic

Niemi is pretty much an average goalie who got hot for a couple rounds. He's not worth 4 million.

There won't be much dropoff in the regular season with whatever weak goalie they get (Huet started half the Hawks game last season and was terrible, Niemi started the other half and was average, and the Hawks still finished with 112 points). The postseason will be the difference. Is Marty Turco capable of getting hot for a couple rounds like Niemi did? Probably not, but whatever. Niemi is almost just as unlikely to do that again.

It sucks, but it was expected. This is Niemi's chance for a big payday, so he'll have to take it. Whoever gives him 4 million is going to be disappointed though.

Why does the delusional sports writer think that Sharp will be a part of the team next season if Niemi is signed to anything over $3 million?

I don't know, but Niemi has nothing to do with Sharp. Sharp is staying no matter what. Bowman already stated that he told Sharp that he's safe and won't be traded this offseason.

I think Bolland would have been the next to go.

Niemi is pretty much an average goalie who got hot for a couple rounds. He's not worth 4 million.

There won't be much dropoff in the regular season with whatever weak goalie they get (Huet started half the Hawks game last season and was terrible, Niemi started the other half and was average, and the Hawks still finished with 112 points). The postseason will be the difference. Is Marty Turco capable of getting hot for a couple rounds like Niemi did? Probably not, but whatever. Niemi is almost just as unlikely to do that again.

It sucks, but it was expected. This is Niemi's chance for a big payday, so he'll have to take it. Whoever gives him 4 million is going to be disappointed though.

I don't know, but Niemi has nothing to do with Sharp. Sharp is staying no matter what. Bowman already stated that he told Sharp that he's safe and won't be traded this offseason.

Bowman also said that no further trades were needed right before the exodus out of Chicago.

Guest Heaten

Wait, the same Bowman that said "no more trades are needed" before having another firesale? Yeah... if Bowman told Sharp/media that "he's safe and won't be traded this offseason", then he better start packing.

Guest Heaten

twitter has just reported, Niemi was awarded 2.75 million

twitter link

Priced low enough to give them hope they can make his salary work, but priced high enough to screw them over to shed another contract (if they want to carry a 21 man roster, decent backup and a little extra $$ for injury call ups). Hawks won't have any depth next year.

Edited by Heaten

Priced low enough to give them hope they can make his salary work, but priced high enough to screw them over to shed another contract (if they want to carry a 21 man roster, decent backup and a little extra $$ for injury call ups). Hawks won't have any depth next year.

"No more further trades needed"

That's a fair price for your starter. I don't think saving the 1.25 million in cap space having Turco instead makes more sense, so I'd be surprised if they walk away from this.

Edited by Superman54

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

All this could have been prevented if they had just let Hjalmarsson go to SJ for the draft picks.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

So you're admitting you're as dumb as the Hawks fans who didn't understand that article either?

uh... sarcasm?

Anyway... Looks like the choice is now Sharp or Neimi.

So, who do they keep?

Guest Heaten

uh... sarcasm?

Anyway... Looks like the choice is now Sharp or Neimi.

So, who do they keep?

They can keep both if they choose to ice a 20 man roster and have an AHLer backup, AHL 3rd defense pairing and pretty much an AHL bottom 6. And that gives no extra cash for injury call ups.

...but they can keep both.

From Twitter (NHLSourcesSay) -

Breaking: I can confirm Niemi and the Hawks will part ways...not sure if they will walk or sign and trade;

Turco to Hawks is now very likely

Earlier, it also says that the "Oilers and Capitals will pursue HARD.."

Edmonton likes old Chicago goalies, I guess. Niemi in Washington? That'd be interesting.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

From the Chicago Sun-Times -

Hawks face another tough call after Niemi award

Regardless of the amount of Antti Niemi's arbitration award, Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman said there were plans in place to address the future of the Stanley Cup-winning goaltender once that award was known.

''We've planned this all out long ago internally,'' Bowman said Friday at the Blackhawks Convention. ''We'll see which of our five or six plans we have we're actually going to have to execute.''

‘‘It’s really what everybody expected it to be,’’ Antti Niemi’s agent, Bill Zito, said of the ruling.

On Saturday, an arbitrator awarded Niemi a $2.75 million salary for next season. The Hawks have until Monday to decide which plan to put into action.

The plans might go in multiple directions, but Bowman actually has four scenarios to look at: accept the award, walk away, accept it and trade Niemi or accept it and trade another player.

Bowman will address the media once a decision is reached. The $2.75 million award, which favors the Hawks' situation, doesn't necessarily make arriving at that decision any easier.

''It's really, to be honest, what everybody expected it to be,'' said Bill Zito, Niemi's agent. ''As with any arbitration, it could go to the severe end of things, one way or the other. There is always that risk. But in this instance, this was something that surprised no one.''

While the amount makes it possible for the Hawks to fit Niemi under the salary cap, there might be issues beyond the coming season. Niemi would become an unrestricted free agent next summer and could test the market. As the Hawks brass has maintained, the team is striving for continued success.

The Hawks could accept the award and try to sign Niemi to a long-term deal. But defenseman Brent Seabrook is entering the final year of his contract, and those $4million in bonus overages that count against the cap in 2010-11 probably are headed his way.

That's why Bowman's biggest dilemma probably is choosing between keeping Niemi for one year or trading him to ensure the Hawks receive draft picks or prospects in return. The Hawks might not have much leverage considering their salary-cap woes, but anything is better than nothing.

If the Hawks' accept the $2.75 million award, that becomes Niemi's salary for the year even if he is traded. Also, as Bowman said Friday, ''There are no limits on when you can trade him'' before the season. Bowman has spoken with teams about Niemi's potential availability.

Bowman has said multiple times that he would like to keep Niemi, so it's unlikely the Hawks would walk away and let him become an unrestricted free agent. At that point, Niemi could sign for less money elsewhere (but most likely more years) while the Hawks receive nothing in return. Veteran goalie Marty Turco has been linked to the Hawks if they decide to walk away or trade Niemi.

Niemi, 26, remains an intriguing case being a Stanley Cup winner without being a full-time starter in his career. There weren't many comparables for either side to use at the arbitration table Thursday in Toronto, although Jaroslav Halak's deal with the St. Louis Blues probably was brought up. Niemi filed for arbitration before Halak signed a four-year, $15 million deal after being traded by the Montreal Canadiens.

The Hawks players would like to see Niemi back, especially after seeing several of their teammates shipped elsewhere this summer.

''Who knows what's going to happen with Niemi?'' winger Patrick Kane said. ''Obviously, you want him back. He played unbelievable in the playoffs. But you've got to realize this league is a business. Obviously, a lot of us would give up certain things to have those guys back. It just doesn't work out that way sometimes.''

It would be kind of funny if he had priced himself out of a job. He's nothing special and most teams don't have goaltending needs right now.

Someone will take him for a sign and trade as long as Bowman doesn't set the price tag too high. San Jose seems like they could take a one-year gamble on Niemi for a random prospect.

Someone will take him for a sign and trade as long as Bowman doesn't set the price tag too high. San Jose seems like they could take a one-year gamble on Niemi for a random prospect.

Because the Hawks walked away from his arbitration award, Niemi is actually a UFA. Whatever he does, Chicago won't get any compensation for it. But it would be very humbling for him to have to sign somewhere for less than his award, especially if it ends up being at a price that he would've accepted to stay with the Hawks in the first place.

I really dont see anyone signing Niemi... he isnt a very good goalie. He won alot of games because of how good the Hawks team was. Turco isnt any better at this career, but for the price probably a better option. If Niemi will take less money then what was awarded to him in arbitration maybe someone like San Jose or Washington will take a chance on him.

I don't think they have the space.

i agree. the teams that are looking for goalies don't have cap space (SJ, philly). i doubt Niemi gets more than the $2.75 million he got from arbitration. maybe montreal but they don't have a boatload of cash either