• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Pretty much. This move would have been cool about 10 years ago, but I don't see many good arguments coming from people as to how this would benefit us now. What needs does it address?

People need to realize that if he was still any kind of impact player, Dallas would have acted differently with him.

He's not skilled enough anymore to be a great top 6 forward, and isn't physical enough to be some kind of grinding bottom forward.

He's just a famous name, and people are excited to have a future Hall of Famer added to the team, without thinking about how this makes us better.

I think we could benefit from his skating ability, his participation on the second unit power play, and he would be a great locker room presence.

I wouldn't totally expect him to be running s***, per se.

I think we could benefit from his skating ability, his participation on the second unit power play, and he would be a great locker room presence.

I wouldn't totally expect him to be running s***, per se.

But isn't that what adding Hudler was for?

Minus the locker room thing.

I hope Modano clicks with Bertuzzi. I love Bert but he sucks up a lot of Z's energy. I too agree that this move cements filppula in the top 6.

Pretty much. This move would have been cool about 10 years ago, but I don't see many good arguments coming from people as to how this would benefit us now. What needs does it address?

People need to realize that if he was still any kind of impact player, Dallas would have acted differently with him.

He's not skilled enough anymore to be a great top 6 forward, and isn't physical enough to be some kind of grinding bottom forward.

He's just a famous name, and people are excited to have a future Hall of Famer added to the team, without thinking about how this makes us better.

Maybe he can win some ********* faceoffs on the road in the playoffs. How about that?

Maybe he can win some ********* faceoffs on the road in the playoffs. How about that?

:lol:

Are you starting with that again?

Some of our best players couldn't win faceoffs on the road in the playoffs last year. It's just one of those things the whole team needs to improve on.

One step closer with this upcoming meeting (hopefully tomorrow).... I hope this gets resolved in the next couple of days, because I want to see what we do on defense soon too! It'd be nice to wrap all this up now so the new players can be brought into the fold and get comfortable with the new teammates... Just my thoughts though. Modano will wear one of these numbers if he does come: 90, 67, 27, or 81.

Guys remember in only 59 games last year with decreasing PT, he still got 14 goals and 30 points. So with more PT and more games played he might be able to rack up mid 40s in points, which isn't half bad for a 3rd line center.

Not to mention being surrounded by better players on the WIngs could help along with some increased minutes.

Yeah but were talking about Hudler here! He can be a ghost when he's not doing that ******* chicken dance with Ozzie : :lol:

But lessens our chances of adding some physicality on the blue line or on the 3rd/4th line.

We need to have a well rounded team and this doesn't help that.

Hudler already increased our scoring from last year.

You need to realize that if this does happen, we can still add that nasty 6th d-man (McKee, Exelby, Hnidy, etc) since we won't be signing Miller and Meech or they'll be traded closer to the start of the season. Hudler increased our scoring, yes, but we also lost Hossa, Samuelsson, and on the minor side - Kopecky. That's a LOT of scoring that needs to be made up, and Modano will help. He'll also win faceoffs and be a good mentor for some of the young guys. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's not all that bad either. And one year doesn't mess up the team plans heading forward, so guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Nestrasil, Smith, etc. will all have the same opportunity regardless.

In Kenny I trust - you don't have to like it, but then again, when it comes to putting a hockey team together - he knows WAY more than us.

I've been keeping tabs. Like you, I'm not entirely sold on the Modano addition. Like you, I feel like this team needs to properly address AT LEAST the gaping hole the third defensive pairing (which I think is an unrelated issue).

But if Hudler and Modano are, for the sake of argument, offering the same thing, what's wrong with having two guys who can produce? Offensive depth was THE biggest problem the Wings faced last year.

Silver lining and stuff.

Grit and nastiness is overrated in hockey,right guys?

It's certainly not as important as it once was, 10 years ago. Live in the present. I'm not saying I like it that way, I'm just saying that's the way it's going and has been since the lockout. We can get our nasty on the defensive side. Remember, he may not be the most nasty, but Abdelkader didn't play a full season last year, so we'll have that in the lineup every night. We weren't overly physical in 08 and we won a cup. We have guys who can physically grind, that's more important than fighting and being one dimensional in todays game.

Besides the only real guy worth getting for our team to be a nasty 4th liner would be Asham, and I'm thinking he will not be affordable, especially not after Boogard got big bucks.

We can, however, still get someone like McKee, Hnidy, Morrisson, or Exelby and they'll provide some snarl on the back-end.

Where does he fit in? Babs sounded pretty strong on Abby and Helm Being the bottom 2 centers...and I thought they were targeting a gritty hard checking 4th liner...

lol

Where does he fit in? Babs sounded pretty strong on Abby and Helm Being the bottom 2 centers...and I thought they were targeting a gritty hard checking 4th liner...

lol

Who is this 4th liner you so desperately think is out there? Some hack who can fight but can't play a bit of hockey. That was the difference with Drake in 08. See, he could play the game, but the only player I really see worth going for right now is Asham, and he will command more than 1 million and that's not worth it. All the guys who would have signed either went to other teams already or signed ludicrous contracts worth too much. We had serious scoring issues last season, and yes, we were hurt, but addressing that is just as important, if not more as adding a bruising 4th liner.

I'm sure Babs has no problem having Helm and Eaves on the wing and Abby centering the 4th line. This is one HELL of a 4th line. Fast and grind-specific with a scoring touch. Who knows, maybe Holland will sell Modano on the 4th line but also have him playing 2nd PP time and jumping up in the play in key times as well. We'll see when we see.

Every team has at least one "enforcer" on their roster.I don't wanna hear that Abdelkader can be our enforcer.No.I don't wanna hear that our powerplay can be our enforcer.No.I'm sick of watching us get ******* knocked around night after night.GIVE ME A ******* ENFORCER!!!I KNOW I'm NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS THIS WAY.

Every team has at least one "enforcer" on their roster.I don't wanna hear that Abdelkader can be our enforcer.No.I don't wanna hear that our powerplay can be our enforcer.No.I'm sick of watching us get ******* knocked around night after night.GIVE ME A ******* ENFORCER!!!I KNOW I'm NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS THIS WAY.

Calm down there champ... geeze. If we needed an "enforcer" SO bad, Holland would go out and get one, there is still offseason to go, and Modano hasn't signed yet. Our 6th d-man will be our enforcer. Or we will acquire one during the season via trade. I never said Abdelkader would be our enforcer, but he's a Maltby type player that can piss opponents off and cause them to take stupid penalties which, in turn, creates odd-man chances for us to score on the PP. Hence having a strong powerplay "helps" in that sense.

Tell me which available "enforcer" you would have Holland sign...

z wins, but Mike is a close, respectable second!

Several months ago I went to a steakhouse(Bobs) in Dallas....walked in and guess who was sitting down at a table in front of us..... Modano and W.Ford. Apparantly our waitress said that he brings all his "girls" in here and this one was by far the best. So....that means if he does come here, she will be visiting for sure.

And for the record, she looked pretty hot.

My guess he's wearing 91

It's certainly not as important as it once was, 10 years ago. Live in the present. I'm not saying I like it that way, I'm just saying that's the way it's going and has been since the lockout. We can get our nasty on the defensive side. Remember, he may not be the most nasty, but Abdelkader didn't play a full season last year, so we'll have that in the lineup every night. We weren't overly physical in 08 and we won a cup. We have guys who can physically grind, that's more important than fighting and being one dimensional in todays game.

Besides the only real guy worth getting for our team to be a nasty 4th liner would be Asham, and I'm thinking he will not be affordable, especially not after Boogard got big bucks.

We can, however, still get someone like McKee, Hnidy, Morrisson, or Exelby and they'll provide some snarl on the back-end.

The Flyers just made it to the Cup finals and they had more PIMS than any team other than Tampa in the regular season. The Ducks won the Cup in 07 and had a whopping 1427 PIMs. Those are two nasty, gritty teams. It's not like we're talking ancient history here. That style of play is still relevant and can be successful.

And I like Abby a lot, but if it's up to him, then we're in trouble. He should be "another guy on the Wings who fights" not "THE guy on the Wings who fights." And if there was another toughguy in a the Winged Wheel, Abby would play even bigger.

I'm hoping that the Boogaard deal won't inflate prices for enforcers, because that deal was so ridiculously awful.

I'd love to get an enforcer but I would like him to be a hockey player as well. Score some goals, hit, contribute in the playoffs when enforcing isn't needed. Oddly enough as this discussion continues, the model enforcer passed away today. I'd love to have another Probie,Kocur,DMac. Somebody like that, but they don't grow on trees.

Think about it this way: who is he displacing? A 3rd of 4th line grinder. How much will he be making? Virtually nothing. This is an easy upgrade to justify.

Modano would be replacing someone like Eaves or Miller. Whoever he replaces will not be signed because the Wings already have a log jam of forwards.

There will hopefully still be money to sign a physical 6th defenseman. If Holland signs Modano the only spot left for the enforcer/bruiser is on the 3rd pairing. That will mean Meech is gone too.

I'd rather see a stable veteran on the 3rd pairing with Ericsson anyway. A rookie-sophomore pairing of Ericsson-Kindl would be a s***show anyway.

I'm hoping that the Boogaard deal won't inflate prices for enforcers, because that deal was so ridiculously awful.

Given how that deal was received and the fact that a terrible GM made the call (Slather should never, ever, ever be allowed to negotiate a FA contract) I don't think that will be a problem. Everyone in hockey is laughing at that deal.

Calm down there champ... geeze. If we needed an "enforcer" SO bad, Holland would go out and get one, there is still offseason to go, and Modano hasn't signed yet. Our 6th d-man will be our enforcer. Or we will acquire one during the season via trade. I never said Abdelkader would be our enforcer, but he's a Maltby type player that can piss opponents off and cause them to take stupid penalties which, in turn, creates odd-man chances for us to score on the PP. Hence having a strong powerplay "helps" in that sense.

Tell me which available "enforcer" you would have Holland sign...

Meech?

I'm just worried that Holland is going to spend the money and roster spot on Modano, who we don't really need, at the cost of picking up a guy who can fight and play the game a little. Because to be clear, I'd rather Holland spend some money getting a good fighter who can play, rather than picking someone up that'll play 5 minutes a night 40 games for one season.

Which, we had Downey and Drake when the Wings won the Cup. Even though Downey only played 56 games, that made the Wings tougher than the current lineup.

My guess he's wearing 91

The odds of him wearing 91 are the same as him getting 16

The Flyers just made it to the Cup finals and they had more PIMS than any team other than Tampa in the regular season. The Ducks won the Cup in 07 and had a whopping 1427 PIMs. Those are two nasty, gritty teams. It's not like we're talking ancient history here. That style of play is still relevant and can be successful.

And the Wings just went to 2 consecutive finals as being one of if the the least penalized teams in the NHL. Whats your point? lol

Edited by Original-Six

I agree that Abdelkader will be a Maltby type guy.I think Abdelkader should focus more on developing his offensive game than worrying about being "the enforcer".There's plenty of guys that are still out there that will keep the flies off:

Arron Asham (Yes,unlikely due to $)

Jared Boll (RFA)

Andrew Peters

Eric Boulton

Nick Tarnasky

Steve Begin

Ben Eager,Tanner Glass,Cam Janssen,and Jared Boll all filed for arbitration,so they could possibly be on the move.