• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

get it done kenny.. this is exciting for me, LOVE modano! all you naysayers, this guy still flys.. take a look at his "last game" this past year with dallas.. he was on a mission knowing it was his "last game" in dallas. he can bring that to wings making a run for cup in his "last year".

Even if I were to cede that enforcers who can't score are worth the cap and roster space they eat up, I still don't think their value to our team would be equal or greater than having three legitimate scoring lines. A scoring third line gives the Wings some options. Babs could just match up lines and overpower the other teams, and while our top six is certainly nothing to scoff off, our 7,8,9 matched up against other teams third lines would be a mismatch and something opponents might want to avoid. Or perhaps instead Babs could roll the third line a little more often than other teams because its built like a second line, and ease the workload of the top two lines by a couple minutes each night. Huddles and Modanno will get their glory, and our top six will be a bit more energized each night, and perhaps also in the playoffs.

It goes without saying, but Modanno also brings unquestionable leadership to the bottom six, and with guys like Abby and Helm and even Hudler, I think the odds of them improving under Mike's leadership also rise.

Hahah funny article about what number he would wear if we do sign him.

"Modano has worn #9 for his entire NHL career. That number is synonymous with the Dallas Stars/Minnesota North Stars franchise, but it won't be the case if he comes here. That's because #9 has already been retired by the Red Wings in honor of Gordie Howe---the NHL's second all-time leading scorer.

Modano can't add a "1" to #9, at least in front of it. The legendary 19 is also up in Joe Louis Arena's rafters for "The Captain" Steve Yzerman. However, he could go with 91, which was worn for a long time by Sergei Fedorov. Fedorov departed the team rather unpleasantly and there is still some animosity between him and the organization. But, there might be some Red Wings fans that have a problem with it, since Fedorov contributed a lot in his time here.

The easiest way to change his 9 would be to double it to 99, but Wayne Gretzky and the NHL might take issue with that. Gretzky's 99 has been retired league-wide, and rightly so.

Why not just add a number up to 10, like Brett Hull did when he signed on in 2001? Well, Alex Delvecchio is the owner of #10, and is currently residing next Howe and Yzerman's jerseys. Flip the scenario around and subtract a number and you arrive on #8, which Justin Abdelkader currently wears.

Of course, let's use his birthday, June 7! Wait, nevermind, 7 is gone too. Sorry Ted Lindsay. Although, 6/7 could translate into 67."

I was thinking about that last night. He may also go the route of 88, given that was his draft year. I also thought he might pull 89 as adding a number to the front is always an option and numbers in the 80's are more typical of forwards than some of the other options.

I was thinking about that last night. He may also go the route of 88, given that was his draft year. I also thought he might pull 89 as adding a number to the front is always an option and numbers in the 80's are more typical of forwards than some of the other options.

I know this wont happen but I think it would be so cool if Howe let Modano wear the number 9 for the season, knowing it would be worn by the Best American Born player to ever play the game to date. Now I know that won't happen, but maybe if Howe was American it might hahaha... but then that would make Modano only the 2nd greatest American ever to play the game haha

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

Cleary-Modano-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

PP1

Lidstrom-Rafalski

PP2

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

Kronwall-Modano

YESSSSS PLEASE!!!!!

Modano #91

While the Detroit Red Wings continue to pursue unrestricted free agent Mike Modano, the NHL's All-Time leading scorer amongst American-born players has yet to make a decision on his future.

"They're selling it pretty hard," Modano told ESNPDallas.com. "Having a team like Detroit really interested in me is flattering. I could have some fun playing with some great players and a great organization. There's a lot of upside to it. But for me, I need to figure out in my head what I want to do."

A native of nearby Livonia, Michigan, the 40-year old Modano has spent his entire 20 year NHL career with the Stars organization, helping the team capture the lone Stanley Cup title in franchise history in 1999. He was informed by the Stars last week that he would not be offered a contract for the upcoming season, however Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk kept the door open to a possible return to the organization for Modano in an executive level.

Modano had 14 goals and 16 assists in 59 games with the Stars last season. In 1459 career games he has 557 and 802 assists.

"He's a local boy, a Hall of Famer, yeah, I'm interested," Detroit general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press last week. "We've had good success through the years in getting the most out of players that are nearing the end."

89 was his rookie season. My money's on this. IF he even signs.

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

Cleary-Modano-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

PP1

Lidstrom-Rafalski

PP2

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

Kronwall-Modano

YESSSSS PLEASE!!!!!

Modano #91

Love those lines! I'm thinking Mikey Mo will be #90 which is the reverse of #9 or #09.

When healthy, scoring is the last of our concerns, so I'm not so sure if he gives us anything we don't already have.

For the top two lines, I agree. After struggling with injuries all season they came out in the playoffs and scored with ease so I'm not very concerned about their production, especially with Hudler back in the fold.

The third line was not nearly as successful though, all but disappearing in the playoffs. All teams rely on those third and fourth line guys to come up with a big goal now and again and the Wings' bottom six couldn't deliver.

Modano would transform a grinding-type third line into another scoring line straightaway; the expectation isn't that they might chip in every once in a while, but that they can be a scoring threat on a nightly basis.

Hahah funny article about what number he would wear if we do sign him.

"Modano has worn #9 for his entire NHL career. That number is synonymous with the Dallas Stars/Minnesota North Stars franchise, but it won't be the case if he comes here. That's because #9 has already been retired by the Red Wings in honor of Gordie Howe---the NHL's second all-time leading scorer.

Modano can't add a "1" to #9, at least in front of it. The legendary 19 is also up in Joe Louis Arena's rafters for "The Captain" Steve Yzerman. However, he could go with 91, which was worn for a long time by Sergei Fedorov. Fedorov departed the team rather unpleasantly and there is still some animosity between him and the organization. But, there might be some Red Wings fans that have a problem with it, since Fedorov contributed a lot in his time here.

The easiest way to change his 9 would be to double it to 99, but Wayne Gretzky and the NHL might take issue with that. Gretzky's 99 has been retired league-wide, and rightly so.

Why not just add a number up to 10, like Brett Hull did when he signed on in 2001? Well, Alex Delvecchio is the owner of #10, and is currently residing next Howe and Yzerman's jerseys. Flip the scenario around and subtract a number and you arrive on #8, which Justin Abdelkader currently wears.

Of course, let's use his birthday, June 7! Wait, nevermind, 7 is gone too. Sorry Ted Lindsay. Although, 6/7 could translate into 67."

I'm not on board with the rightly so part. Never have been.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Was just about to comment that. I've always hated that his number is retired LEAGUE WIDE.

Nor I. Retire for the Oilers and Kings, of course. Maybe the Rangers, maybe even the Blues. Why, though, should someone like Detroit have to honor someone who never played for them? Why should a team like the Predators, Thrashers, Wild or Blue Jackets have to do so, when the team didn't even exist during Gretzky's career?

I get the Jackie Robinson in Baseball retiring, the man did something that was a huge step forward in both Baseball and the culture of America at the time.

But you don't see baseball retiring the #'s 3,7 or basketball #23.

Wayne is known as the best to play the game, retiring his number across the league was dumb, and should not have been done.

What did he do for the teams he didn't play for, it is not like he was one of the first to fight for the players union, or took a stance for players salary.

He was just the best to play the game.

I get the Jackie Robinson in Baseball retiring, the man did something that was a huge step forward in both Baseball and the culture of America at the time.

But you don't see baseball retiring the #'s 3,7 or basketball #23.

Wayne is known as the best to play the game, retiring his number across the league was dumb, and should not have been done.

What did he do for the teams he didn't play for, it is not like he was one of the first to fight for the players union, or took a stance for players salary.

He was just the best to play the game.

QFT

I've never agreed with his number being retired league-wide. Above and beyond what you said, there's plenty of argument that Gretzky wasn't the greatest player of all-time. He's obviously the greatest scorer in the history of the game, but one aspect of the game doesn't make him automatically the greatest *all-around* player of all-time.

QFT

I've never agreed with his number being retired league-wide. Above and beyond what you said, there's plenty of argument that Gretzky wasn't the greatest player of all-time. He's obviously the greatest scorer in the history of the game, but one aspect of the game doesn't make him automatically the greatest *all-around* player of all-time.

that title belongs to stevie :)