• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Don't worry about the lines right now. Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader, Draper and Ritola will be battling for spots at camp this year. Someone is going to be waived/traded no matter what happens.

Abdelkader has only played 2 seasons in GR so he still has AHL eligibility left as well (and certainly wouldn't be hurt by spending more time developing his offensive game given that he clearly isn't ready to consistently score at the NHL level yet).

Don't worry about the lines right now. Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader, Draper and Ritola will be battling for spots at camp this year. Someone is going to be waived/traded no matter what happens.

Abdelkader has only played 2 seasons in GR so he still has AHL eligibility left as well (and certainly wouldn't be hurt by spending more time developing his offensive game given that he clearly isn't ready to consistently score at the NHL level yet).

pretty hard to prove you can score at the nhl level when may and maltby are your linemates. Babcock also stated abby will be on the PK full time next year so GR is out of the question.

pretty hard to prove you can score at the nhl level when may and maltby are your linemates. Babcock also stated abby will be on the PK full time next year so GR is out of the question.

Abby did not only play with May and Maltby... in fact those two were not even in the lineup a lot of time. There was a point actually during the season where Abdelkader was our 2nd line center for a couple of weeks because of injuries.

He definitely needs to take a step forward in production, which is something he is totally capable of. Any PP time should accelerate that. I wouldn't mind keeping his GR options open, you never know what will happen.

After just his rookie season I don't think it's at all fair to judge where he'll end up offensively, but a lot of players have had to work their way up from the 4th line on the Wings. Franzen, Cleary, Sammy, all showed promise on the 4th line before they got bumped up to scoring lines. With all the talent the Wings have on the top six, Abby is going to have to do work on the bottom lines to get better linemates to play with.

Pierre LeBrun on Twitter:

From Modano to ESPN.com via text regarding visit with Red Wings, "Saw them today, off to the Tiger game with Ken, Babcock and Mr Ilitch."

Sounds like the boys are going to ply him with liquor and get him signed up.

pretty hard to prove you can score at the nhl level when may and maltby are your linemates.

Hudler and Filppula did.

Babcock also stated abby will be on the PK full time next year so GR is out of the question.

If Holland is forced to keep Abby down for cap reasons Babcock isn't going to make a big deal about it.

I have mixed feelings about possibly signing Modano. We get bigger and more talented, but we get slower and older as well. As far as lines go, as much as I'd like to see Abs and Ritola get a chance, the possibility of being able to ice Eaves-Helm-Miller as our fourth line sounds pretty kick ass to me. Also, the prospect of having four players over 200lbs and over 6' (Modano, Holmstrom, Franzen, Bertuzzi) on the first two lines, each centered by Datsyuk or Zettergerg, could be overwhelming to opponents' defense.

I have mixed feelings about possibly signing Modano. We get bigger and more talented, but we get slower and older as well. As far as lines go, as much as I'd like to see Abs and Ritola get a chance, the possibility of being able to ice Eaves-Helm-Miller as our fourth line sounds pretty kick ass to me. Also, the prospect of having four players over 200lbs and over 6' (Modano, Holmstrom, Franzen, Bertuzzi) on the first two lines, each centered by Datsyuk or Zettergerg, could be overwhelming to opponents' defense.

For his age Modano still has a pretty good set of wheels. I don't think he will hurt us at all in that regard.

Holland basically said in the interview that Mike wants to make sure he has a good role on the team, Holland sees him as a good third line center for us, and that signing him shouldn't cost us any other players, at least based on the cap hit. I didn't see him throw the first pitch though- they didn't show one.

I know that guys like Eaves and Miller made us a tougher team to play against, because they constantly crashed the net.

Adding Hudler and Modano gives us two more finesse players who won't go to the scoring areas as often. That's not what I want in an ideal 3rd liner.

Holland basically said in the interview that Mike wants to make sure he has a good role on the team, Holland sees him as a good third line center for us, and that signing him shouldn't cost us any other players, at least based on the cap hit. I didn't see him throw the first pitch though- they didn't show one.

Third Line Center to start, could play higher if he performs (injuries as well will shake the lines up) and at least 2 powerplay unit, I would say that is a pretty good role on this team...

This is where it's at. Will he be willing to play on the third line? Or the fourth? Like I said before I don't know what lines he played on in Dallas, but did somebody say the fourth? Whatever. I hope he signs. I do think it'll give our guys incentive to play harder. OK, I want to think so. :ph34r: