• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Again the hope is Abby can step up and fill the third line role, where as Modano's skill and even last season's stats show he can fill the third line role.

Remember this time last offseason when Helm, Abby etc where going to replace the scoring lost by Hossa, Hudler, and Sammy.

How did that work out, banking on unknowns to provide what was lost?

This is the Detroit Red Wings, hoping on making the playoffs is not how things are done.

Hoping Abby can all of the sudden become a scorer at the NHL level is not what the Wings are in the Business of doing.

Modano is still a .5 ppg player, Abby is not.

According to whom? Who thought rookies would replace all that offence. :lol:

As for the rest of your post, you make it sound as though without Modano and inserting an Abdelkader to that 3rd line centre role we'd be lucky to make the playoffs. Forgettiing that this years version has Hudler (+60 points) and is likely to be a whole lot healthier.

And he never will if they keep signing washed up 40 yr olds to play in front of him. Hey I know lets sign Maltby and Chelios probably still wants to play I'm sure? we could sign him up again so we could lose Kindl on waivers. Makes total sense.

The Wings are not losing any young talent by signing Modano for a year.

You mean he WAS a .5ppg player last season. Season before that it was .6ppg. Season before that it was .75ppg. You see where this is going?

Modano has scored 20+ goals in 3 of his last 5 years. He was on pace for 19 last season. Seems to me, he's a good bet for another 20 goals this year and with better talent around him, maybe he'll get even more than that.

How about taking a gamble and finding out, especially given we're about to take a gamble on whether Modano still resembles a somewhat decent hockey player.

I agree. I think this is really the point this debate hinges on, and at this point I don't think anyone's going to be swayed. I will say that what sticks in my mind is the recent playoffs where Abdelkader was one of the only Wings giving it 100% every shift, and playing like he wanted it. A lot of Veterans were skating listlessly while Abs, Helm, Stuart, Lilja and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting actually played hard. To me, Abs had earned a chance; not just injury-fill-in, a complete chance.

If the Wings management doesn't want to go that route, there's nothing I can really say. I still disagree with the approach of bringing in Modano; it seems too much like the Hawks approach of selling out the future.

Modano has scored 20+ goals in 3 of his last 5 years. He was on pace for 19 last season. Seems to me, he's a good bet for another 20 goals this year and with better talent around him, maybe he'll get even more than that.

You mean if he wasn't nearly 40 and susceptible to injuries?

If the Wings management doesn't want to go that route, there's nothing I can really say. I still disagree with the approach of bringing in Modano; it seems too much like the Hawks approach of selling out the future.

Maybe I missed it, but did this many people object when we resigned Todd Bertuzzi and say this is move is going to hurt our young players?

Maybe I missed it, but did this many people object when we resigned Todd Bertuzzi and say this is move is going to hurt our young players?

Without several hours of digging through the boards to get numbers, I can't say for sure how the magnitude differs, but I recall quite a backlash both here an on the HF boards when the new Bertuzzi contract was announced. I was one of the detractors; I still think two-year contracts for both of Bertuzzi and Holmstrom was too much. However, it's done, so the debate has died down. The Modano situation still isn't settled, so debate goes on.

Without several hours of digging through the boards to get numbers, I can't say for sure how the magnitude differs, but I recall quite a backlash both here an on the HF boards when the new Bertuzzi contract was announced. I was one of the detractors; I still think two-year contracts for both of Bertuzzi and Holmstrom was too much. However, it's done, so the debate has died down. The Modano situation still isn't settled, so debate goes on.

Agree with this.

Would've preferred Holmstrom on a 1 year deal, but the 2nd year brought down the cap figure to a VERY reasonable sum. As for Bertuzzi, decent value, but again in a perfect world he gets a 1 year deal.

oh look, we just signed Eaves... now we have him for a few more years so some people can stop bitching about losing "great young players"... I feel as if the management for the Red Wings have a plan and know more about the situation then all of us... So, when they sign Modano, it will do nothing but help this team make a long playoff run... It is going to be a great season

Edited by cupforwings

One of those injuries was an appendectomy. FYI. Aussie, you're one of my favourite LGWers but I think your zeal for young players/prospects is making you crazy in this case.

Fair enough mate. But let me tell you, if you think I look crazy now, wait until we re-sign Draper and potentially risk losing MURSAK!!! :P

Aussie and I get into it over prospects from time to time, but I see where he's coming from with his concern here. However, I think they'll get a deal done for an amount that won't hold up the process too much. The fact that we just signed two guys we didn't develop to great deals and we're still pursuing Modano leads me to believe that when it all shakes down, everything will be fine. If I thought it would seriously hurt our ability to keep young guys in the fold, I'd be totally against it too, but I think they'll find a good number, and I think in turn Modano will end up looking like a HUGE bargain by seasons end.

He's not the Modano of old, but with a descent role, some power play time and the quality of the guys around him, I think Modano could easily put up 40 if not 50 points, including 20 goals. If we can get that and legendary veteran presence in the locker room for a million or less, it's a great deal. On top of that, he's a hometown guy who would be giving us the rights to his "swan song," one that caps off one of the greatest hockey careers from an American player. You better believe there would be an element of "Let's send Mike Modano out a champion!"

There's just far too much I like about this deal, especially considering I've been saying for years that I'd love to see Modano finish his career as a Wing if he were to leave the Stars. If you're a single-team guy for most of your career and you're going to go to another team, there's no more fitting place to end than your hometown team. That's the only way you make a move and don't taint the "loyalty" element of your career.

You had a ton of people object to the Bertuzzi signing simply because of the common perception of Todd Bertuzzi's game, which may consist of frustrating turnovers and inconsistent physical play. He's still labeled as a "lazy defensive player".

This hit the Yahoo wires a while ago, maybe it helps some here see what the emerging plan is for Modano SHOULD he sign.

Main points of article:

*Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Detroit Red Wings.

*The Red Wings made it clear he would be a valuable part of their 2010-11 roster. He spent a lot of time playing left wing the last couple years in Dallas, but Holland said Modano would be the third-line center with the Wings.

*The Wings are expected to offer Modano close to a $1 million for next season. After signing Drew Miller to a one-year deal worth $650,000 Tuesday, they now have 19 players signed for roughly $55 million. The salary cap next season is $59.4 million.

*So, if they do sign Modano, they would have $3.4 million left to sign restricted free agents Patrick Eaves, Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm. Helm and Abdelkader would presumably battle for the fourth-line center position.

Full article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/detroitnws/detroitnws_ts3053

Oops, just noticed this also posted at the Detroit News. Didn't think to see who wrote it on Yahoo. If you all knew this already sorry..

Edited by Jersey Wing

I don't even know what to think about this...I mean I don't really want him to not be a Star in a lot of ways he should just retire. On the other hand it wouldn't be the first time we did something like this and successfully. I guess I'll wait to see what the Wings officially pull out of their sleeves before I make a judgement.

wings cant afford him people! after signing eaves we have 3 roster spots left .. two forwards and one dman, assuming we sign abby and helm and bring in a 6/7TH dman... our roster isfull...so unless you want to lose abby or helm for... MODANO... it wont work!

wings cant afford him people! after signing eaves we have 3 roster spots left .. two forwards and one dman, assuming we sign abby and helm and bring in a 6/7TH dman... our roster isfull...so unless you want to lose abby or helm for... MODANO... it wont work!

it will more likely be miller/ritola that we will lose, and this discussion has been going on for a while now so idk if you read any of it

Just because we re-signed Miller doesn't mean he cracks the lineup as much as he did last year especially because of the injuries. With the addition of Modano we have SICK depth with the prospects of calling up Miller, Ritola (possibly waived), Drapes (on occasion). I say that makes us that much better. Get it done Kenny! And I feel like it will in the next few days here.