• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

http://detnews.com/article/20100710/OPINION03/7100406/1128/SPORTS0103/If-Wings-lose-bid-for-Mike-Modano--they-still-have-other-options

Detroit -- So on Friday, Mike Modano apparently told the Dallas Morning News he would listen to recruiting pitches from San Jose and Minnesota, and that talk that his only options were to play for the Red Wings or retire was wrong.

Well, they were his words. Still blushing from the Wings' full-court press last Tuesday, Modano told me, "There isn't any other team. It will be here (Detroit) or I'm not playing. I think it's narrowed to that."

OK, so what happened between then and now? How, all of a sudden, have the Wild and Sharks entered the picture? Has he even decided he wants to play another year yet?

Here's what I think happened. First, when news of the Wings' intense interest in Modano started spreading, it was like dropping blood into the water.

Money talks

Second, I think the money got smaller. The Wings, after signing Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves last week, have a little more than $3 million left under the salary cap. They still have to re-sign restricted free agents Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader, as well as possibly Derek Meech or another veteran defenseman.

It was assumed the Wings would offer Modano something at or just over $1 million. But I think now maybe it is $800,000, plus they were selling him on taking it over $1 million with incentives that wouldn't apply to the cap until the 2011-2012 season.

When I talked to Holland last Tuesday, it seemed like it was just a matter of Modano (Westland) deciding he wants to play another year. After talking to Holland again Thursday, I came away with an entirely different feeling.

Here's what Holland said: "There is no time frame. At the end of the day, for me, we're interested in Mike Modano. But if we didn't do anything, I'd be OK. We have Abby and Helm to play there (at the third and fourth line center spots).

"You know, it is Mike Modano, a local guy who we think can still play and would be a great fit. But we only have so much wriggle-room. Right now he's going through the emotion of does he want to play and the emotion of what we're offering. We only have so much space to offer."

Other options

Maybe an $800,000 offer was an insult to Modano. I don't know. But looking at the Wild and Sharks, they can't offer him too much more. The Wild have 23 players signed for $57 million and the Sharks, who just put up a three-year, $14 million offer sheet to Chicago's restricted free agent Niklas Hjalmarsson, have 18 players signed at $54 million.

The salary cap is $59.4 million.

Another issue here, too, is his wife, actress Willa Ford. We don't know what she's thinking about any of this, but presumably it would be better for her to have her husband playing in California than Detroit or Minnesota.

Who knows? It would be a coup for the Wings to have Modano centering the third line and playing point on the second power-play unit. It would be a great story, having the local kid finish his career in his hometown. It would be a boon both on the ice and at the box office.

But if it doesn't happen? Helm would take over the third line and Abdelkader the fourth. They would maybe have some money left to sign an enforcer.

It wouldn't be the end of the world.

I don't want Mike Primadona and let's be honest there is no NEED for him right now.

Still think he signs with Detroit.

What is up with this guy?

Compilation of his quotes and interactions below:

Chicago: "Patty is an energetic kid and a phenomenally gifted player," Modano said. "It'd be fun to play with him." "I'd like to see what kind of wiggle room they have left under the salary cap, if they can fill that third- or fourth-line void and see how I would fit in with those guys," Modano said

Detroit: "There isn't any other team," said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch's suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. "It will be here or I'm not playing. I think it's narrowed to that." "If I could get it here, it's probably a given with the talent and the type of team they have. To be able to go out winning another Stanley Cup, that would be phenomenal."

Minnesota: "It would be a fun storyline," Modano said. Modano said Minnesota may want to meet face-to-face with him soon, but no date has been set.

San Jose: The 40-year-old forward said Friday that the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild have contacted him about the possibility of playing next season.

Detroit -- So on Friday, Mike Modano apparently told the Dallas Morning News he would listen to recruiting pitches from San Jose and Minnesota, and that talk that his only options were to play for the Red Wings or retire was wrong.

Phoenix, Washington, St. Louis, LA:

Modano is keeping a close eye on teams like the Los Angeles Kings and possibly even the Phoenix Coyotes to see what moves they might make to create an opening. Those close to Modano believe Detroit would be a great fit for him to play a puck possession style that suits his game and where he’d have a chance to win. Other teams have expressed interest in Modano as well including Washington and St. Louis who contacted Modano directly.

And so it goes on and on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago: "Patty is an energetic kid and a phenomenally gifted player," Modano said. "It'd be fun to play with him." "I'd like to see what kind of wiggle room they have left under the salary cap, if they can fill that third- or fourth-line void and see how I would fit in with those guys," Modano said

Detroit: "There isn't any other team," said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch's suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. "It will be here or I'm not playing. I think it's narrowed to that." "If I could get it here, it's probably a given with the talent and the type of team they have. To be able to go out winning another Stanley Cup, that would be phenomenal."

Minnesota: "It would be a fun storyline," Modano said. Modano said Minnesota may want to meet face-to-face with him soon, but no date has been set.

San Jose: The 40-year-old forward said Friday that the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild have contacted him about the possibility of playing next season.

Modano is keeping a close eye on teams like the Los Angeles Kings and possibly even the Phoenix Coyotes to see what moves they might make to create an opening. Those close to Modano believe Detroit would be a great fit for him to play a puck possession style that suits his game and where he’d have a chance to win. Other teams have expressed interest in Modano as well including Washington and St. Louis who contacted Modano directly.

And so it goes on and on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get those quotes?

I don't want Mike Primadona and let's be honest there is no NEED for him right now.

No, of course there is no NEED for him. There is also no NEED to win the cup. Hell, there is even no NEED to make the playoffs. Let's just trade away or buy out any player who didn't instantly make the decision to play for the red wings or have talked to other teams. They're all dumb Prima Donnas anyway.

I would love for Modanno but if he doesn't join us I really wouldn't care. The only person that will be the loser here is Modanno.

Modanno signing was probably for marketing reasons more then anything.

As I stated if Modano decides to go else where well too bad for him because it's his only chance to play with one of the greatest franchises in the NHL. His loss not ours we have tons of kids willing to center the 3rd line.

These other teams can say they're interested all they want, Modano has said "Its either Detroit or retirement". I'll take him at his word.

Modano has admitted the "Detroit or retirement" comment was too strongly worded by himself.

These other teams can say they're interested all they want, Modano has said "Its either Detroit or retirement". I'll take him at his word.

Modano has never been real smart when it comes to what he says to the press, but even if he signs with another team, he wouldn't be a liar. He said (paraphrasing): "Right now it's either Detroit or retirement. I think it's narrowed down to that"

At the time, no other team had contacted him. It was very early in free agency and rest of the teams were still getting their s*** together. Detroit was one of the few teams that was pretty much all set and knew what kind of numbers they were gonna have to play with.

So you can take him at his word, but his poorly worded comment basically stated that RIGHT NOW it was only retirement or Detroit.

Phoenix? St. Louis? Does he really have the desire to retire playing for those teams?

Depends what he is looking for. If he is looking for one last decent payday to pad the coffers... then maybe. If he wants the best chance to win a Cup and money is secondary, then no. Detroit and San Jose are obviously better options.

It's getting to the point now, for me, that I'm hoping he just retires and goes away. He's annoying the hell out of me already.

Edited by Broken 16

At 40 does Modano really need anymore money? It should be about the best oppertunity and best chance to win, and other then San Jose, this is it. Minnesota? If he's living for nostaglia, cool, go there. But they arent going to be in the playoffs let alone contend for a Cup, doesnt make sense. I'll be happy if he comes here, but if not, who cares.

Ehh I wasn't too high on signing Modano to begin with so this delay and interest from other teams is fine with me.

Hopefully it ends soon so the Red Wings can address getting a 6th d-man, which is more of a need than Modano anyways.

No, of course there is no NEED for him. There is also no NEED to win the cup. Hell, there is even no NEED to make the playoffs. Let's just trade away or buy out any player who didn't instantly make the decision to play for the red wings or have talked to other teams. They're all dumb Prima Donnas anyway.

I'm pretty sure the Red Wings are going to make the playoffs with or without Mike Modano. And his signing here is definitely not going to be the factor that puts the Red Wings over the top for the Stanley Cup next season.

It's not like if he signs with Detroit that Stanley Cup is ours...

Since when have the Blackhawks been in the Modano hunt?

I was all for this when it first started, but even I'm starting to get a little bit deflated by the wait and news about other teams jumping into the rush. I wouldn't be too disappointed if Modano didn't sign here I guess, as it could cause some healthy competition for the 3rd line center spot.

Ultimately I'd still love to see Mike here, but I guess it wouldn't suck as bad when I heard the news initially. I just wish we all had an answer one way or another, because I'd still like to see the team sign another defenseman.

Would anyone here object to rolling with our current forwards? I just want Helm and Abs to be done deals at this point too... I like Helm too much to lose the guy.

EDIT: Also, from talking with other writers and staff from Hockey's Future , they have mentioned that scouts were pretty high on Abdelkader before he really started to get playing time for the Red Wings. I saw certain flashes of offense from him last year and maybe in a more consistent role he could blossom a little more.

I just think the issue with a Hudler-Abdelkader-Cleary line is that there's not too much finishing power (aside from Huds I guess, but who'll pass to him?).

Edited by Jesusberg

Yeah, but he's got a sugar mama in Willa Ford. Maybe that's why she's wearing the pants at the moment.

She's a sugar mama? From what? No ways she's made that much money from playboy.

EDIT: Mandy Modano is a she not he.

Edited by titanium2

<br />Since when have the Blackhawks been in the Modano hunt?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Probably the moment they heard we were after him. The 'Hawks go after anyone we had or are trying to sign. Remember Sopel? lol.