• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

<br />So my guess that this was like a Brett Favre situation wasn't far off, then.<br /><br /><br />s*** or get off the pot, Mike.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Remember in his press conference after his last game he said, "Well, I might get a little Favre-itis"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=fx5&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=mike+modano+favre-itis&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

She's a sugar mama? From what? No ways she's made that much money from playboy.

EDIT: Mandy Modano is a she not he.

Haha, I was just teasing. She just seems to have a decent amount of control over where Modano goes... at least according to the reports.

I originally wasn't opposed to Modano signing up to play one more year here but the longer this goes on, the less excited I am. Either sign or don't. Holland needs to tell him that he has until, like, Wednesday or else the team will start making decisions which will make it very hard for him to come to Detroit if and when he chooses.

I originally wasn't opposed to Modano signing up to play one more year here but the longer this goes on, the less excited I am. Either sign or don't. Holland needs to tell him that he has until, like, Wednesday or else the team will start making decisions which will make it very hard for him to come to Detroit if and when he chooses.

What decisions are being held back by waiting for Modano? It's not like last summer when we had no idea what was going to happen with 3 million of our cap space while we waited for Hudler which let Sammy slip through the cracks. Kenny still needs to sign Helm and Abdelkader, a defense spot and one likely forward. This is only affecting the forward spot, which Kenny would otherwise probably wait another month to fill. It's not like it's been a month since we've talked to Modano, it's been one week. We'll probably hear something from this week if not today, have some patience.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I'm starting to think that Modano is just using the Wings so the team he wants to sign with becomes interested. Like say San Jose or Anaheim. I was all for Modano signing with the Wings and being the 3rd line centre but now I am hoping he goes somewhere else.

I'm starting to think that Modano is just using the Wings so the team he wants to sign with becomes interested. Like say San Jose or Anaheim. I was all for Modano signing with the Wings and being the 3rd line centre but now I am hoping he goes somewhere else.

So your opinions are a function of time and whatever excitement generated, with no real objectivity at all?

I don't think Modano is some sort of god or anything (though I do think it's a great signing, and Holland agrees with me) and I won't kill myself if he doesn't sign, but some people here are just acting ridiculous...

Guest Hatethedrake!

So your opinions are a function of time and whatever excitement generated, with no real objectivity at all?

I don't think Modano is some sort of god or anything (though I do think it's a great signing, and Holland agrees with me) and I won't kill myself if he doesn't sign, but some people here are just acting ridiculous...

Nah, the only one acting ridiculous here is you.

What decisions are being held back by waiting for Modano? It's not like last summer when we had no idea what was going to happen with 3 million of our cap space while we waited for Hudler which let Sammy slip through the cracks. Kenny still needs to sign Helm and Abdelkader, a defense spot and one likely forward. This is only affecting the forward spot, which Kenny would otherwise probably wait another month to fill. It's not like it's been a month since we've talked to Modano, it's been one week. We'll probably hear something from this week if not today, have some patience.

After Helm and Abdelkader, the Wings do not "need" to sign any forwards. Counting Ritola, Hudler, and all returning forwards who are currently signed, the Wings have 12 forwards NOW. That means Helm and Abby push it to 14.

As far as defense, the Wings have five returning defensemen signed plus Kindl. Janik is also signed and Meech will be signed soon.

The longer this goes, the less likely it is Modano will be a Wing. As for the defense, unless the Wings can find a good physical, defensive type who can play well and is cheaper than Lilja was, the Wings will be going into the season with the current group.

After Helm and Abdelkader, the Wings do not "need" to sign any forwards. Counting Ritola, Hudler, and all returning forwards who are currently signed, the Wings have 12 forwards NOW. That means Helm and Abby push it to 14.

As far as defense, the Wings have five returning defensemen signed plus Kindl. Janik is also signed and Meech will be signed soon.

The longer this goes, the less likely it is Modano will be a Wing. As for the defense, unless the Wings can find a good physical, defensive type who can play well and is cheaper than Lilja was, the Wings will be going into the season with the current group.

I think most of us here (at least the rational ones) would be very happy with this and fine without them making any moves - at the same time, there are still moves a lot of us would like to see...

I agree. I've been playing around with different line combinations in my head, and I can't find a way to fit all the forwards in. As for the defense, we will have 7 guys when Meech re-signs. When you look at that, you can see that we don't really have any room left on the roster at the moment, and if we have injuries and do need someone else, we can promote a kid from Grand Rapids to get them some experience.

So my guess that this was like a Brett Favre situation wasn't far off, then.

s*** or get off the pot, Mike.

:clap:

Sorry for the double post. :blush:

Edited by hellsson

Everyone seems to be getting hung up on the number of players we have or will have signed once Helm, Abdelkader and Meech re-sign. Everyone should realize that the re-signing of Meech (and depending on what happens maybe even Miller) will be done to retain assets. If Modano, or another forward, can be signed at the moment we'd have 15 forwards going into camp. But that doesn't matter because someone would be moved. If Modano signs that most likely means Miller is moved/waived.

It's the same for a defenseman. If we pick up someone like McKee then Meech will be moved/waived.

Even when looking at our cap number ppl should realize there is wiggle room. You have to be cap complaint at the start of the season but while we attempt to sign another forward and a d-man I believe we can go over the cap by 10% in the summer. So say Modano is signed for $1M and then we move Miller our current cap number only increases by 350k.

So don't get hung up by roster size and the cap number. They're not true numbers until everything is set in stone - which isn't until opening day of the season.

Everyone seems to be getting hung up on the number of players we have or will have signed once Helm, Abdelkader and Meech re-sign. Everyone should realize that the re-signing of Meech (and depending on what happens maybe even Miller) will be done to retain assets. If Modano, or another forward, can be signed at the moment we'd have 15 forwards going into camp. But that doesn't matter because someone would be moved. If Modano signs that most likely means Miller is moved/waived.

It's the same for a defenseman. If we pick up someone like McKee then Meech will be moved/waived.

Even when looking at our cap number ppl should realize there is wiggle room. You have to be cap complaint at the start of the season but while we attempt to sign another forward and a d-man I believe we can go over the cap by 10% in the summer. So say Modano is signed for $1M and then we move Miller our current cap number only increases by 350k.

So don't get hung up by roster size and the cap number. They're not true numbers until everything is set in stone - which isn't until opening day of the season.

I feel like several of us (you and myself included) on this board have been broken records about the retaining of assets this whole off-season, but some people just refuse to listen to logic on the topic and assume because someone is signed = they will be on this team come the end of camp...

I don't get it either...