• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

I just can't imagine Modano not singing here. 1.25m can't be much less than what he's being offered elsewhere, plus, and of course I'm not in his position, but he must have grown up being a Wings fan and it seems like such a great end to his career to finish off in Detroit. I really think it's still Detroit or retire.

i thought they offered him 800K ?

That was always only speculation.

I thought I read somewhere earlier that Minnesota said its unlikely they'd have room for him, but they would meet anyways to discuss possible options. So I think Detroit gives him the best chance to still prove himself, but I have a feeling he might just want to go back to the team where it all began, and end his career there because he couldn't in Dallas.

What about a 46yr old Chelios for our cheap veteran stay at home defensman? Look I am under no delusions that he would be a fixture on the blue line but he could help bring along the kids and play here or there. I am saying if we sign Modano and the other cheaper options don't look all that attractive???

P.S. I too think 1.25 is fair, he won't get much more from Minnesota or San Jose, only the Ducks can afford to over pay for him if they so desire.

Edited by Booster313

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Who does Modano think he is, Mats Sundin?

No, Modano has a Cup Ring.

We won't have to worry about that happening.

"Ducks not looking at Modano"

http://ducks.ocregis...t-modano/40705/

Just a rumor and consider the source (not reliable), but I thought I would throw it in for comment.

"According to Andy Strickland of HockeyBuzz, a source close to Mike Modano says he has narrowed his choices for next year to San Jose, Chicago and Minnesota. " From his blog.

Just a rumor and consider the source (not reliable), but I thought I would throw it in for comment.

"According to Andy Strickland of HockeyBuzz, a source close to Mike Modano says he has narrowed his choices for next year to San Jose, Chicago and Minnesota. " From his blog.

SJ and Detroit are the only teams that make sense. Chicago can't afford anyone right now, Minnesota has no shot at a Cup. I think this move (if he does move on and doesn't retire) is about fun and a shot at the Cup. He's not going to get big money anywhere at 40 years old. So its either SJ, so he can be closer to his wife and play against the Stars 6 times or Detroit where he grew up.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Muuuuuuuust biiiiiiiiiite toooooooooooooooooongue................

I was mocking the people who use that as the end all indicator of how good a player is/was.

SJ and Detroit are the only teams that make sense. Chicago can't afford anyone right now, Minnesota has no shot at a Cup. I think this move (if he does move on and doesn't retire) is about fun and a shot at the Cup. He's not going to get big money anywhere at 40 years old. So its either SJ, so he can be closer to his wife and play against the Stars 6 times or Detroit where he grew up.

yeah I can't believe Chicago is in the mix. If they sign him, which you would assume would have to be around what the Wings offered at $1.2mil, before they straighten out the rest of their group would be stupid.

Edited by StevieY9802

My link

Mike Modano is 40 years old and his best hockey is behind him, but his All-Star career keeps him at the forefront of fans' interests.

I can't tell you how many times a day readers ask about the "latest on Modano." ESPN.com reached out to him Thursday after hearing a website rumor linking him to Chicago.

"Haven't talked to them at all," Modano told ESPN.com via text message.

Modano added that the same three teams remain in the mix: Detroit, Minnesota and San Jose. He was set to tee it up in the Tahoe Celebrity Golf event later in the day. Good luck, Mike!

Like I say, I still think he's going to sign here in the end. It'll only be for a year so his wife can always wait, best chance to win the cup and he can't be offered much more money by San Jose.

I'd like Modano here too, but I think San Jose could definitely offer him a good deal more. They have 9 forwards signed, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies with 6.1 million left. Even if those other 3 players cost 1 million a piece that still leaves 3.1 for Modano alone. If Detroit's only offering him 800-900K, and he can be the 3rd line center on each team... Couple that with the fact that his wife apparently likes the West Coast.

I just think San Jose might have the upper hand here, but there's always the chance that Mike wants to come "home" and maybe thinks Detroit has the better shot at a cup. I guess we'll see.