• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

The 800k thing was false, we offered him 1.25m.

Ok... even if that is the case... Like I said, I'd like Modano, but I think San Jose offers more financially and for his wife. The whole "hometown" thing is a nice storyline, but who knows if that's the more important incentive.

Ok... even if that is the case... Like I said, I'd like Modano, but I think San Jose offers more financially and for his wife. The whole "hometown" thing is a nice storyline, but who knows if that's the more important incentive.

Why do you assume that they would pay the other 3 or 4 players 1 each and Modano 3 plus. I would agree they can offer him more, but I would think they would spread that out more evenly. As far as what he's thinking you're right. No one can know what's more important but I would say it's 50/50 Detroit and San Jose.

I could be wrong, but I don't think location is as big a factor as people are making it out to be. We're talking about a 1 year contract before certain retirement, after which he and his wife can go and live anywhere they want. Its not like this would be the first of a 6 year contract where he is completely committing himself to the location long term.

I agree with a lot of others. All the factors seem to fit for him coming here. Hope it happens soon, and for no more than 1.2

LeBrun just re-tweeted this from Dan Rosen at NHL.com.

I just spoke with Mike Babcock and he's convinced that Mike Modano will sign with the Red Wings, and play 2 years in Detroit.

Babcock said he met with Modano in Detroit earlier in the week and now believes it's just a matter of time before he signs, but...

He also said he's been wrong before, so it wouldn't shock him if he is again. He doesn't think we'll know until Aug. 1 at the earliest.

Babcock on Modano: "I look forward to him signing. I think that's inevitable. I think that's what is going to happen."

http://twitter.com/drosennhl

If the quotes are accurate, Babs seems sure of Modano signing. And for two years.

SJ and Detroit are the only teams that make sense. Chicago can't afford anyone right now, Minnesota has no shot at a Cup. I think this move (if he does move on and doesn't retire) is about fun and a shot at the Cup. He's not going to get big money anywhere at 40 years old. So its either SJ, so he can be closer to his wife and play against the Stars 6 times or Detroit where he grew up.

If Chicago somehow finds a way to sign more players I'm going to beat my head against a wall in frustration.

Minnesota really shouldn't even be in this. It's not a storybook ending. He never played for the Wild. He'd just be going back to the city where his career began, not the team. If I were him I'd much rather play for a Cup contender (San Jose or Detroit) or go to my hometown to play for the team I grew up rooting for.

I heard another ex-athlete say on the radio the other day that it doesn't matter if you play your whole career in one city, you can't help but still root for the team you loved growing up, even if it comes up against the team you've played with.

Edited by VM1138

DETROIT NEWS/MLIVE.COM: report the Red Wings recent re-signing of defenseman Derek Meech doesn't mean he'll be on their roster next season suggesting the possibility Meech could be dealt to another team.

DETROIT FREE PRESS: reports the Wings next priority is to determine if Mike Modano will sign with them, retire or sign elsewhere. It's doubtful Justin Abdelkader or Darren Helm will be signed until it's known what Modano does.

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan reports the Wings remain in touch with free agents Andreas Lilja and Kirk Maltby while they await an answer from Modano.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Perhaps the Wings would be better served by passing on Modano, who evidently is having second thoughts over his claim it was Detroit or retirement.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1575:latest-bruins-a-red-wings-news-july-16-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

I wonder how abs and helm are feeling right now.... If I was them I'd be a little annoyed. I hope that was just speculation by babs, and spector is right. Wings just need to move on. I't be different If they were waiting on kovy or someone, but modano?

Babcock believes Modano headed to Hockeytown

"There is no question Mike plays physically' date=' but does he want to go through the grind again. In Detroit, it won't be a grind if we've got all of our players. [b']We'll get 100 points and you'll get the puck on your tape."[/b]

-Mike Babcock

How can any Wings fan not love a comment like this!

Guest mindfly

Haha Babcock is awesome..

"These veteran players, why would they be in a hurry? Why not see how your body feels?" Babcock said. "There is no question Mike plays physically, but does he want to go through the grind again. In Detroit, it won't be a grind if we've got all of our players. We'll get 100 points and you'll get the puck on your tape."

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

Probably the best third line in the nhl that, chicago isn't as deep, pittsburghs third is pretty good but not as good as detroits potential third line

DETROIT FREE PRESS: reports the Wings next priority is to determine if Mike Modano will sign with them, retire or sign elsewhere. It's doubtful Justin Abdelkader or Darren Helm will be signed until it's known what Modano does.

I don't know why they have to wait for Modano to sign these two. They made their offer to Modano. Whether he takes it or not, we're resigning Abdelkader and Helm. Pretend Modano already signed and work with these two. Each of them should make $1-1.5 this year. If Modano ends up not signing, then we have an extra $1.2 leftover.

Probably the best third line in the nhl that, chicago isn't as deep, pittsburghs third is pretty good but not as good as detroits potential third line

Pittsburgh's third line is good? They're having trouble putting together a solid first and second line, much less a good third line.

I understand the decision process on Modano's part, but if it's affecting other signings, particularly Darren Helm who I'd much rather sign than Mikey, I say pull the offer. I don't see that he brings anything to the table worth waiting for.

Guest mindfly

Didnt they go with: Cooke-Staal-Kennedy?

And where are all these crazy 1.5M for helm/abdelkaders coming from? they're not worth that much? sign a longer contract with a 900k caphit or something

Edited by mindfly

"This is a no brainer for Mike Modano -- the highest scoring American player of all time to come back to your hometown, play in Hockeytown," Babcock told NHL.com Friday. "It's not about the cash, it's about the legacy and the fit. He'll fit and he'll be excited to play. I look forward to him signing. I think that's inevitable. I think that's what is going to happen."

I always trust "The Hair".

Didnt they go with: Cooke-Staal-Kennedy?

And where are all these crazy 1.5M for helm/abdelkaders coming from? they're not worth that much? sign a longer contract with a 900k caphit or something

you think theyre hossa or pronger or something? lol

that's not how it works with players that were legally allowed to drink last winter. they fetch more money with longterm deals, not less.