• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Hudler with Helm would do wonders for Helm's production... but what would it do to Hudler's? He certainly wouldn't hit that 50-60 point mark that he's expected to.

If you can increase Helm's production 15 points, I don't care if it drops Hudler's 10.

From the Red Wings' official site:

Babcock: Modano to Hockeytown

Friday, 07.16.2010 / 2:06 PM / News

By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Staff Writer

Detroit coach Mike Babcock firmly believes it's only a matter of time before Mike Modano signs with the Red Wings.

Modano, an unrestricted free agent, is reportedly being courted by the Red Wings, Minnesota and San Jose, but Babcock met with him in Detroit earlier in the week and the vibe he got suggests that the former Dallas Stars great is intrigued by the idea of going home to Michigan.

Modano was born in Livonia, Mich., which is only a short drive from Joe Louis Arena.

"This is a no brainer for Mike Modano -- the highest scoring American player of all time to come back to your hometown, play in Hockeytown," Babcock told NHL.com Friday. "It's not about the cash, it's about the legacy and the fit. He'll fit and he'll be excited to play. I look forward to him signing. I think that's inevitable. I think that's what is going to happen."

Babcock, of course, was smart enough to leave himself an out, just in case.

"I think this is all going to work out; I'm pretty certain of that for us, but I've been around before and if you would have told me Jiri Hudler was leaving for Russia, I wouldn't have believed it," he said. "I've been wrong. Some people think I have the market cornered on being wrong."

Babcock, though, thinks he's got this one right. Yet, he doesn't want to get in Modano's way either. Since his meeting with Modano earlier in the week he has sent him a text message, but otherwise has left him be to make his decision on his own.

He doesn't expect Modano to decide until Aug. 1 -- at the earliest.

"These veteran players, why would they be in a hurry? Why not see how your body feels?" Babcock said. "There is no question Mike plays physically, but does he want to go through the grind again. In Detroit, it won't be a grind if we've got all of our players. We'll get 100 points and you'll get the puck on your tape."

Babcock not only believes that Modano will play one season in Detroit, but he thinks he'll re-up for a second, too.

"I think we're a good fit for him and I think he knows it," Babcock said. "I know the veteran players we have dealt with over the years, so I'm a big believer if Mike Modano comes to Detroit he won't be here for one year, he'll play for two."

More at:

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534537

From the Red Wings' official site:

quote]

Thaks for the documentation, Rookie. The chicken aint hatched yet, so I aint counting it. I'm hopeful, just not entering it in the credit column yet.

From reading Babcock's comments, it looks like he is saying that he thinks if Modano comes here for a year, he will renew for a second, not that the Wings are looking to sign him to a 2-year contract. At least that's how I read it, and I hope so because signing any player over 35 to a multi-year deal is risky, and once you hit 40 there should be a law against signing a multi-year deal.

I hope Modano does come here, he instantly gives us one of the most dangerous 3rd scoring lines, though I would probably put Hudler on the 2nd with Franzen & Filppula and Bertuzzi with Modano and Cleary, but either way no one else can touch that kind of offensive depth, and having Abdelkader/Helm/Eaves as a 4th line is nothing to scoff at either, 3 wrecking balls who can all put up 10 goals and shut down defensively.

Now all we need is a 6th defenseman and we're all set, and with each day that passes guys like Sutton depreciate in value, so we may just get lucky and snag someone on the cheap that fills the stay-at-home shot-blocking fighter role that we so desperately need.

"Expects" ;)

Got to get excited about something Johnny Raincloud. :hehe:

Oh I know...I was just responding to the member that asked if Modo had signed. It did come off a little harsh.

Sidenote: Gofigure....my name actually is John. :D

so=)

geez someone had their mindfly cereal this morning.

:lol: Ouch!

Keep that up and I'll be using my mod powers against you! I could come up with a "nice" new signature for you! :P

From reading Babcock's comments, it looks like he is saying that he thinks if Modano comes here for a year, he will renew for a second, not that the Wings are looking to sign him to a 2-year contract. At least that's how I read it, and I hope so because signing any player over 35 to a multi-year deal is risky, and once you hit 40 there should be a law against signing a multi-year deal.

I hope Modano does come here, he instantly gives us one of the most dangerous 3rd scoring lines, though I would probably put Hudler on the 2nd with Franzen & Filppula and Bertuzzi with Modano and Cleary, but either way no one else can touch that kind of offensive depth, and having Abdelkader/Helm/Eaves as a 4th line is nothing to scoff at either, 3 wrecking balls who can all put up 10 goals and shut down defensively.

Now all we need is a 6th defenseman and we're all set, and with each day that passes guys like Sutton depreciate in value, so we may just get lucky and snag someone on the cheap that fills the stay-at-home shot-blocking fighter role that we so desperately need.

Love this description of the three of them. And I still hope it's true about Modano. But I'm one of those nervous nellies who thinks Babcock's statement just might jinx the deal, if Mikey's ego gets in his way too much.

Edited by Vladifan

But I'm one of those nervous nellies who thinks Babcock's statement just might jinx the deal, if Mikey's ego gets in his way too much.

What kind of stories have you heard about Modano being a ****** and egotistical?

Love this description of the three of them. And I still hope it's true about Modano. But I'm one of those nervous nellies who thinks Babcock's statement just might jinx the deal, if Mikey's ego gets in his way too much.

i just have a hard time believing if holland really did say this that it would be just hot air. you know how they have been with other players. you know nothing until stuff happens. and if he is laying it out like that already than i feel its pretty much a done deal.

What kind of stories have you heard about Modano being a ****** and egotistical?

Actually, none whatsoever. In fact I was amazed when Whoever put posts on here about what a ****** he was. We live three hours from Dallas and I pay some attention to whuz up there with the Stars, and I've heard nuthin'. But I wasn't looking for anything either.

As for the Ego Thing, I was just talking about pro athletes in general. Specifically, SEE: LeBron/Favre/T.O./Wah/Brodeur/Crosby/Neon Deon(sp?)/Artest/etc. :) But like I said, I've heard nothing even iffy about him.

i just have a hard time believing if holland really did say this that it would be just hot air. you know how they have been with other players. you know nothing until stuff happens. and if he is laying it out like that already than i feel its pretty much a done deal.

I don't neccessariy think it's hot air...it's just that a done deal aint a done deal until the deal is done, and this deal aint done.

I don't neccessariy think it's hot air...it's just that a done deal aint a done deal until the deal is done, and this deal aint done.

WHY do I think a Ba Dum CHHHHH is called for here?! :clap:

Eeny Meeny Mikey Mo

Just decide where you will go.

You know what each team will pay

If with them you choose to play.

On the road let's get this show,

Eeny Meeny Mikey Mo.

I'm reading that with a funky little bass line to it (ala MJ's "This Is It")

Oh I know...I was just responding to the member that asked if Modo had signed. It did come off a little harsh.

:lol: Ouch!

Keep that up and I'll be using my mod powers against you! I could come up with a "nice" new signature for you! :P

SORRY SORRY =)

i take it all back.

titans rule packers drool=)

I should know not to mess with the mods. :hehe: Could remove the many irrelevant posts I make on a regular basis at my boring job here. I definitely think Babs is just getting Mike set up to make some sort of move here. Still think it will be around August until we really make the signing official.