• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Wings will be a force that will dominate games at will if modano signs they will be able to roll 4 lines, keep the energy level, eurotwins mode Activated, flip on his own line with mule.. and of course for this to happen they must stay healthy *knock on wood*

Edited by mindfly

Full article -

Detroit coach Mike Babcock firmly believes it's only a matter of time before Mike Modano signs with the Red Wings.

Modano, an unrestricted free agent, is reportedly being courted by the Red Wings, Minnesota and San Jose, but Babcock met with him in Detroit earlier in the week and the vibe he got suggests that the former Dallas Stars great is intrigued by the idea of going home to Michigan.

Modano was born in Livonia, which is only a short drive from Joe Louis Arena.

"This is a no brainer for Mike Modano -- the highest scoring American player of all time to come back to your hometown, play in Hockeytown," Babcock told NHL.com Friday. "It's not about the cash, it's about the legacy and the fit. He'll fit and he'll be excited to play. I look forward to him signing. I think that's inevitable. I think that's what is going to happen."

Babcock, of course, was smart enough to leave himself an out, just in case.

"I think this is all going to work out; I'm pretty certain of that for us, but I've been around before and if you would have told me Jiri Hudler was leaving for Russia, I wouldn't have believed it," he said. "I've been wrong. Some people think I have the market cornered on being wrong."

Babcock, though, thinks he's got this one right. Yet, he doesn't want to get in Modano's way either. Since his meeting with Modano earlier in the week he has sent him a text message, but otherwise has left him be to make his decision on his own.

He doesn't expect Modano to decide until Aug. 1 -- at the earliest.

"These veteran players, why would they be in a hurry? Why not see how your body feels?" Babcock said. "There is no question Mike plays physically, but does he want to go through the grind again. In Detroit, it won't be a grind if we've got all of our players. We'll get 100 points and you'll get the puck on your tape."

Babcock not only believes that Modano will play one season in Detroit, but he thinks he'll re-up for a second, too.

"I think we're a good fit for him and I think he knows it," Babcock said. "I know the veteran players we have dealt with over the years, so I'm a big believer if Mike Modano comes to Detroit he won't be here for one year, he'll play for two."

Babcock's plan is to place Modano in the middle of Dan Cleary and Jiri Hudler to give Detroit one of the most talented third lines in the NHL. Babcock envisions playing Pavel Datsyuk with Henrik Zetterberg on the top line, so Valtteri Filppula will be the second-line center.

"These veteran players, why would they be in a hurry? Why not see how your body feels? There is no question Mike plays physically, but does he want to go through the grind again. In Detroit, it won't be a grind if we've got all of our players. We'll get 100 points and you'll get the puck on your tape."

-- Red Wings coach Mike Babcock "We want him to be thrilled to be a Red Wing. We are big believers in that," Babcock said. "We believe we have a good shot (to win the Stanley Cup), and we believe he'll give us a better shot."

As much as Babcock believes Modano to Detroit is a sure thing, he also believes the Wings will have a bounce-back season. They finished fifth in the Western Conference with 102 points despite significant injuries to key players such as Johan Franzen, Cleary, Filppula and defenseman Niklas Kronwall.

"Chicago's going to be thinner as we all know and I think we're going to be better," Babcock said. "I like what has happened for the Red Wings as far as the dispersal of talent goes in the Western Conference."

Hudler is a key addition. He left after the 2008-09 season for the KHL, but returned after one season in Russia and is under contract for another two seasons. Hudler had career-highs in goals (23), assists (34), points (57), games played (82), shots (155) and power play goals (6) in '08-09.

"That's 70 points guaranteed and the power play becomes unreal," Babcock said. "He's as good as they come with the puck. It's good that he's back and we want to have him. He's thrilled to be back. He's had an experience and now we're happy to have him back."

I'm confused. Is his wife going by Willa Ford or Mandy Modano these days?

She goes by both. Professionally she is called Willa Ford, but she also goes by Mandy Modano.

It's kinda like the Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay situation...only much hotter.

Edited by puffy

babs is just trying to get into modanos head

I agrree, plus it applies a little pressure on Mikey Mo to make a decision, now that several signings are affected by his signing or not signing. i.e. Lilja, Helm, Just An Aggitator, Even (gag) Maltby.

Just out of curiosity I tried to picture a roster without Miller's and Meech's contracts and apparently the Wings would have $4.408 mil in cap space. Somehow that has to cover Helm, Abdelkader, Modano, a #7 defenseman and perhaps an enforcer. Based on the contracts Eaves and Miller got; the price of 1.25 for Modano; the going rate of #7 defensemen and enforcers, that all seems doable right? And again, that's without the contracts of Meech and Miller that would mean they have $4.408 mil in cap space.

Not that's easy to trade away contracts or anything like that. It just seems like things are working out okay in regards to Kenny's plan. Maybe he'll sign all those players and be over the cap for a little bit but then he'll find a way to fix that before the season starts. And while the cases of Quincey and Leino aren't the same as Miller and Meech, Kenny has to feel as if their cases can help him sell them to other teams.

I just think it's turning out to be not exactly a great off-season but good enough for what the Red Wings need.

+3.26 in cap space.

-1.25 for Modano

-0.85 for Adbs

-0.95 for Helm

-1.00 for 6th D

+0.50 from trading/waiving Meech

+0.65 from trading/waiving Miller

=0.36m in space.

If we sign Modano and resign Lilja, I think this would be a great off season for the cap room we're dealing with.

+3.26 in cap space.

-1.25 for Modano

-0.85 for Adbs

-0.95 for Helm

-1.00 for 6th D

+0.50 from trading/waiving Meech

+0.65 from trading/waiving Miller

=0.36m in space.

If we sign Modano and resign Lilja, I think this would be a great off season for the cap room we're dealing with.

I concur.

I'm glad that Babcock said Modano probably won't make his decision until August 1st at the earliest. Hopefully that will at least temper the, "Did he sign? Did he sign? Why won't he sign? What an *******!" comments a little bit.

I'm glad that Babcock said Modano probably won't make his decision until August 1st at the earliest. Hopefully that will at least temper the, "Did he sign? Did he sign? Why won't he sign? What an *******!" comments a little bit.

Well...

DID HE SIGN?!?!?!?!

:ph34r::tomato:

I hope you know I'm not "one of those types". :P

s***,that's another two weeks. Unlike Brett Favre, we don't really need Modano for anything.

He's just a third liner and should have no power to strong arm the team into waiting. They should start looking at other players to possibly sign and not treat him any differently than anyone else. First come first serve.

He's not our captain or anything.

He's just a third liner and should have no power to strong arm the team into waiting. They should start looking at other players to possibly sign and not treat him any differently than anyone else. First come first serve.

Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but Modano means a little bit more to American hockey than "just a third liner" and "not our captain". Just sayin'...

s***,that's another two weeks. Unlike Brett Favre, we don't really need Modano for anything.

Modano isn't strong arming the Wings. What a weird thing to say. Neither side is in a hurry.