• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

s***,that's another two weeks. Unlike Brett Favre, we don't really need Modano for anything.

He's just a third liner and should have no power to strong arm the team into waiting. They should start looking at other players to possibly sign and not treat him any differently than anyone else. First come first serve.

He's not our captain or anything.

Dude....they aren't going to sign anyone for another two or three weeks anyway. You're obviously underestimating how valuable he'd be for us on the third line.

Dude....they aren't going to sign anyone for another two or three weeks anyway. You're obviously underestimating how valuable he'd be for us on the third line.

It's true. A line of Hudler-Cleary-Modano could be phenomenal.

Do we need Modano? No.

Would he make what we have better? Yes.

Guest mindfly

Why don't you want him to sign?

Because he love the kids and youth from GR and watch alot of their games, maybe he gets a bit blind because of this.

Just my 2.

Edited by mindfly

Why has there been so much talk about trading miller? I understand the talk of trading meech, but miller actually brings something to the team. I didnt even hear his name in thoughts about trades/waiving till yesterday. Where did they come from? Was there something written about possibly trading/waiving him? Or is that just LGW'ers speculating? I like Miller, and dont want to see him go. He complements the Red Wings playing style, along with Eaves, and brings alot to the team for a good 4th liner. Plus his contract is lite, which i know is what makes him movable, but i think it would suck to get rid of him.

Also, i dont understand how some people still dont see Modano as a good addition for the wings if he ever decides to sign. The guy isnt exactly what we need, as everyone knows we would like to have a good Dmen added who is gritty and can hit/stick up for the team. But dont people get that Modano makes the wings a dangerous team containing 3 full lines that can score AND play defensively sound? I figured after watching the team struggle to score so much last year (because of injuries and bad luck) people would understand that having scoring threats on the top 3 lines is a good thing. you can never have to much scoring. Dont get me wrong, i too would like to stregthen the D-line as it looked pretty shaky last year, but Modano makes the team better regardless, and is definetly a great addition.

Having the deepest group of forwards goes a long way.

Modano scored 16 goals in 59 games last year which projected over 82 games is equivalent to 22 goals. We would be adding a 20 goals scorer with strong veteran presence and leadership. As a result, we will lose either Ritola or Miller most likely. Which do you think gives us a better chance for the Cup?

Why has there been so much talk about trading miller?

If they want Abdelkader on the team it means Miller would be a healthy scratch. After last year in which he was a regular I really can't see the Wings making him play in and out of the lineup like a reserve forward. I'm sure he signed the contract with a tradeable cap hit so that he would play like a regular either with the Wings or with someone else.

Why has there been so much talk about trading miller? I understand the talk of trading meech, but miller actually brings something to the team. I didnt even hear his name in thoughts about trades/waiving till yesterday. Where did they come from? Was there something written about possibly trading/waiving him? Or is that just LGW'ers speculating? I like Miller, and dont want to see him go. He complements the Red Wings playing style, along with Eaves, and brings alot to the team for a good 4th liner. Plus his contract is lite, which i know is what makes him movable, but i think it would suck to get rid of him.

Also, i dont understand how some people still dont see Modano as a good addition for the wings if he ever decides to sign. The guy isnt exactly what we need, as everyone knows we would like to have a good Dmen added who is gritty and can hit/stick up for the team. But dont people get that Modano makes the wings a dangerous team containing 3 full lines that can score AND play defensively sound? I figured after watching the team struggle to score so much last year (because of injuries and bad luck) people would understand that having scoring threats on the top 3 lines is a good thing. you can never have to much scoring. Dont get me wrong, i too would like to stregthen the D-line as it looked pretty shaky last year, but Modano makes the team better regardless, and is definetly a great addition.

If Modano is signed, there will likely be a trade made. I believe Babcock and/or Holland is on record saying that they would like to have room on the roster to call someone up during the season. Therefore, someone will have to be waived or traded if Modano (or anyone else) is signed. It's not that Miller is a bad player, but he doesn't add much other than PK'ing to the team. On this forum, many people have mentioned trading him this off-season. If someone has to be traded, who would you prefer?

I agree that Modano would make the team better. I would be alright (not excited or disappointed) if the Wings signed Modano for one year, but I am against a two-year deal. There needs to be room for players like Tatar, Mursak, and I. Flip to have the chance to move up next year. Personally, I would prefer to wait to sign/trade for someone (forward or D, except for an enforcer) until the season begins. We don't know if the Wings D will be sufficient, and waiting will allow the Wings to assess other weak points if they arise.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

We don't know if the Wings D will be sufficient, and waiting will allow the Wings to asses other weak points if they arise.

I don't mean to be a spelling Nazi or anything like that. That just looks kind of funny. I saw weak and asses and I just thought, "Oh no not another toughness thread."

Guest mjtm77

do you guys think he still has the drive and motovation to keep playing. I wanted him at first but honestly from his interviews it sound like he has lost the drive to win.

do you guys think he still has the drive and motovation to keep playing. I wanted him at first but honestly from his interviews it sound like he has lost the drive to win.

If he really wanted a chance to win a cup he would of signed with a team that has space for him. He still may want to play but its not at the level of try to win all one last time or retire. Its more like try to find a west coast team so he could be close to his wife and go from there.

If he really wanted a chance to win a cup he would of signed with a team that has space for him. He still may want to play but its not at the level of try to win all one last time or retire. Its more like try to find a west coast team so he could be close to his wife and go from there.

What if he does sign here? Is it still because he wanted to find a west coast team to be close to his wife?

If he signs here, then it's because he wants to win. If he doesn't then you're right, but you won't have to worry about that, because he didn't sign here. What you're saying is "If he doesn't sign here, I don't want him to sign here".

What if he does sign here? Is it still because he wanted to find a west coast team to be close to his wife?

If he signs here, then it's because he wants to win. If he doesn't then you're right, but you won't have to worry about that, because he didn't sign here. What you're saying is "If he doesn't sign here, I don't want him to sign here".

What I'm saying is it sounds like playing closer to his wife is more of a priority to him. SJ would be a good fit if they can manage it since its closer to his wife also a chance to win.

Edited by dragonballgtz

What I'm saying is it sounds like playing closer to his wife is more of a priority to him. SJ would be a good fit if they can manage it since its closer to his wife also a chance to win.

I don't really understand this whole geographic thing. San Jose isn't exactly just a hot skip and a jump away from Dallas, either. But oh well. I have to agree with people on here, Modano seems to have lost his drive to go all in. In that case, he should probably retire and spare all the teams.

Of course, we won't know if he's lost it til he plays again, but it sure seems that way. Usually when a player takes this long to decide on retirement, it means he's not fully in it.

I don't really understand this whole geographic thing. San Jose isn't exactly just a hot skip and a jump away from Dallas, either. But oh well. I have to agree with people on here, Modano seems to have lost his drive to go all in. In that case, he should probably retire and spare all the teams.

Of course, we won't know if he's lost it til he plays again, but it sure seems that way. Usually when a player takes this long to decide on retirement, it means he's not fully in it.

I don't know about that. I mean the guy is a career Star and practically had the storybook ending to that saga last season which segued perfectly into retirement. I don't know that he was expecting a Stanley Cup competing team to offer him a solid role, and when the first one came in, two more popped up. I don't think the delayed decision speaks at all to his hunger to win should he come back.

Does that mean Helm and Abby aren't fully in it either? They've had offers out for longer than Modano and haven't given us a decision. What is with people making these assumptions when they actually have no clue what they are talking about? How do you know what his drive is? You don't.

People keep acting like this is some way abnormal thing. Have any of you paid attention in years past during the off season? Tons of signings don't get done until later in the summer, and no, it has nothing to do with the player's drive or whether he wants to win, don't be ridiculous. Unless you've spoken to Modano himself, you have no idea what he wants or what he's thinking.

People keep acting like this is some way abnormal thing. Have any of you paid attention in years past during the off season? Tons of signings don't get done until later in the summer, and no, it has nothing to do with the player's drive or whether he wants to win, don't be ridiculous. Unless you've spoken to Modano himself, you have no idea what he wants or what he's thinking.

You think Modano is taking to time to train like crazy and to see how his body feels over the course of a month? Theoretically he could use that as a way to gauge how he'll feel over the course of a year.

Does that mean Helm and Abby aren't fully in it either? They've had offers out for longer than Modano and haven't given us a decision. What is with people making these assumptions when they actually have no clue what they are talking about? How do you know what his drive is? You don't.

Helm and Abby were given qualifying offers which hardly conuts. They are obviously going to try and work out more of a raise or more term then what they were offered. I seem tor remember Holland saying after Modano decides what hes doing he'll work out deals with Helm and Abby