• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

I don't really understand this whole geographic thing. San Jose isn't exactly just a hot skip and a jump away from Dallas, either. But oh well. I have to agree with people on here, Modano seems to have lost his drive to go all in. In that case, he should probably retire and spare all the teams.

Of course, we won't know if he's lost it til he plays again, but it sure seems that way. Usually when a player takes this long to decide on retirement, it means he's not fully in it.

Really? Brett Farve last year? That panned out pretty well for him.

I don't really understand this whole geographic thing. San Jose isn't exactly just a hot skip and a jump away from Dallas, either. But oh well. I have to agree with people on here, Modano seems to have lost his drive to go all in. In that case, he should probably retire and spare all the teams.

Of course, we won't know if he's lost it til he plays again, but it sure seems that way. Usually when a player takes this long to decide on retirement, it means he's not fully in it.

If his wife wants to "work" more its not in Dallas its in Cali.

Really? Brett Farve last year? That panned out pretty well for him.

Well, I don't know. Football isn't really a sport where you need passion to play. If you've got talent like Favre does, you put in a decent effort for a 16 game season (or 20 including a championship run). Quarterback is the least physical position, so it's not like you have to have drive to play 82+ games in which every game you have to constantly be moving and making that extra effort to get the puck that's just out of your reach, or fight for the puck in the corners or to get to the front of the net night in and night out.

Passion counts in hockey. To be brutally honest, I don't think it comes in play much in football, at least from a quarterback's position.

Well, I don't know. Football isn't really a sport where you need passion to play. If you've got talent like Favre does, you put in a decent effort for a 16 game season (or 20 including a championship run). Quarterback is the least physical position, so it's not like you have to have drive to play 82+ games in which every game you have to constantly be moving and making that extra effort to get the puck that's just out of your reach, or fight for the puck in the corners or to get to the front of the net night in and night out.

Passion counts in hockey. To be brutally honest, I don't think it comes in play much in football, at least from a quarterback's position.

You are vastly underestimating what it takes to be a Hall of Fame quarterback imo.

I can tell you have never been part of a football team before. The hardest thing about football is practice... 5 times a week 2-3 hours a day. It literally takes over your life during the season, you can't really do anything else.

Trust me, it takes alot of passion to play football. What football does to the body over even a 10 game season (which is all i've played) takes a tremendous toll on the body...I can't even imagine a 16 game season.

implied-facepalm.jpg

You don't need passion to play football at the highest levels?

Really?

I mean really?

You may think hockey is a better sport than football. Cool. That's fine. I don't like watching some sports like baseball or soccer as much as I enjoy watching hockey and football. Soccer requires ridiculous conditioning to play at a high level running around for 90+ minutes straight, and baseball is a grind for 160+ games in hot weather. I may not fully like those sports but I respect the wear/tear and grind that it takes to play those games if you want to be fully committed to it. Just like football, an intense off-season/in-season grind of weight training, hitting, and thinking nearly an entire year.

But you need passion to play any sport or do your job to the best of your ability, regardless of the sport or career. To say you don't need passion in football or any profession to do well in it is plain idiotic, no matter how much you might not like a sport/job.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

Guest mindfly

I don't think Modano will end up in Detroit...Just don't see it happening.

I would rather the Wings sign a solid #6 D-Man anyways.

They can get a 6th dman, sign abdelkader, helm, AND modano for 1.25, make a few trades and be under the cap and have 500k over for injuries.

I hate football and don't even watch it and even I know this is a dumb post.

Or is the reason why you don't watch football because of the lack of passion? :hehe:

They can get a 6th dman, sign abdelkader, helm, AND modano for 1.25, make a few trades and be under the cap and have 500k over for injuries.

They could, so I will take the rather out...

But I still don't see Modano winding up here. I think he will either retire or go to Minnesota and try to get a cup for the city he started with...

Minnesota seems fitting,but they've got like 15 forwards under contract.San Jose has a vacant 3rd line center spot with the departure of Manny Malhotra to Vancouver.

This is what I've been saying/thinking as well. San Jose seems to be the obvious fit, along with Detroit of course...

he won't go to minnesota. If they guy is gonna continue to play, he is gonna do so with a team that has a chance to win the stanley cup. Sure minnesota would be neat because of the sentimental value, but that feeling would only last so long when untill he feels like he wants to retire again. The Wings are ALWAYS a contender and have only got better since the season ended. San Jose could be a contender but I don't think it would be as good of a fit for some reason. I still think it is Detroit or done.

Edited by Yzermania

I think we should stick with the idea of giving the youth the playing time.I like the idea of getting younger.Modano is simply a want.He is,in no way,shape,or form,a need for this team.

I agree, he's not a need. But I also think he's going to give Detroit the deepest Top 9 in the league. Just out of curiosity, who would you put in that spot? I think the majority of young, true talent that the Red Wings have is still a year or two or more away from the NHL. If he were taking the ice time of Tatar, Mursak, Nyquist or Nestrasil then I would be opposed to it, but I don't think signing Modano is going to really knock someone deserving out of a spot. Just my opinion, though.

I agree that signing Modano would give us a dominant top 9.I also agree that many of our prospects should take another year to develop before bringing them up.I think we need to sign or trade for guys like Mike Comrie,guys that will get their 40 points like Modano will,but will provide much needed grit and will also be a bit younger than Modano.What would you like to see done with this whole situation?

Modano scored 16 goals in 59 games last year which projected over 82 games is equivalent to 22 goals. We would be adding a 20 goals scorer with strong veteran presence and leadership. As a result, we will lose either Ritola or Miller most likely. Which do you think gives us a better chance for the Cup?

You have to realize that that was a year ago. Once a player hits the big 40, his stats drop more than BP's stock.

I agree that signing Modano would give us a dominant top 9.I also agree that many of our prospects should take another year to develop before bringing them up.I think we need to sign or trade for guys like Mike Comrie,guys that will get their 40 points like Modano will,but will provide much needed grit and will also be a bit younger than Modano.What would you like to see done with this whole situation?

I would agree with the idea of someone like Comrie, but I don't think we could get him for the reported 1.25 million the team offered Modano. I also think Comrie is pretty soft too, when compared with Modano it's pretty much the same deal in terms of hitting, etc. I haven't watched much of Comrie, so if I'm missing something in terms of his toughness then I apologize.

I kind of view Modano as a stop-gap. Someone to fill the role of 3rd line center until someone else in the system becomes good enough to fill it. Cory Emmerton hasn't exactly panned out the way most people would have hoped, and McGrath kind of crapped out right before him.

I think the Red Wings have definitely seen the need for depth at center, given their selections in this past draft. Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Aubry and Macek have all spent time playing center, so maybe one day they'll make the team and give us some depth.

In the more recent future, I actually have big hopes for Joakim Andersson, who's coming over to Grand Rapids this season. He's shown up pretty big at the last two WJC for Sweden. I think if Modano can fill in for a year or two, Andersson could fill that role and become a checking center with a little bit of offensive potential.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Jesusberg

Guest Heaten

Couple of weeks ago, I was thinking this Modano signing was a sure thing. But now, after all this time has passed, I doubt he's coming here.

He said he wasn't going to drag this out because he understands that Holland needs to manage the cap and lock people up. Now he's being a dick by not just saying "no" to Detroit.

I think Kenny should move on.

absolute dumbest post ive ever seen

Comrie isn't anything near a power forward,but he's more physical than Modano (Not saying much).He'll fight here and there,but he's pretty small.A good well rounded 3rd line option would be Bill Guerin (Yes,former Penguin) or Owen Nolan.Both are old yes but they'll both bring more grit than Modano and put up near the same amount of points.

I kind of view Modano as a stop-gap. Someone to fill the role of 3rd line center until someone else in the system becomes good enough to fill it. Cory Emmerton hasn't exactly panned out the way most people would have hoped, and McGrath kind of crapped out right before him.

I think the Red Wings have definitely seen the need for depth at center, given their selections in this past draft. Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Aubry and Macek have all spent time playing center, so maybe one day they'll make the team and give us some depth.

In the more recent future, I actually have big hopes for Joakim Andersson, who's coming over to Grand Rapids this season. He's shown up pretty big at the last two WJC for Sweden. I think if Modano can fill in for a year or two, Andersson could fill that role and become a checking center with a little bit of offensive potential.

Half our forwards are natural centers. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Franzen, Hudler, Helm, Abdelkader, Draper, and I think Ritola. It's something we've always prioritized, and also a position that tends to draw more of the better players. I'd bet more than half of all NHL forwards have played center at some point in junior/midget at least. What we really need is more scoring wingers, so we can actually spread our centers out.

I'm not convinced that Modano would be all that great. Huds-Modano-Cleary looks great on paper, but I think it would depend a lot more on Hudler and Cleary than it would Modano. Put Helm, Abs, or Ritola in there and I still think it would still be pretty good. Maybe not quite as good, but some of you are acting like it would be terrible. I'd rather Helm, Abs, and Ritola get decent playing time and responsibility, see how they can develop.