• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Well, I don't know. Football isn't really a sport where you need passion to play. If you've got talent like Favre does, you put in a decent effort for a 16 game season (or 20 including a championship run). Quarterback is the least physical position, so it's not like you have to have drive to play 82+ games in which every game you have to constantly be moving and making that extra effort to get the puck that's just out of your reach, or fight for the puck in the corners or to get to the front of the net night in and night out.

Passion counts in hockey. To be brutally honest, I don't think it comes in play much in football, at least from a quarterback's position.

lolwhat

Seriously?

Tell that to the football players that work harder in the offseason than many hockey players do in the regular season.

You obviously have to have passion for a sport that requires QBs to be 210+ lbs. Guys don't just get to be 225 lbs overnight with the percentage of body fat that WRs and QBs have.

I can tell you frankly and honestly as someone shooting for just 200 at 6'0, you have to have passion to even get into the weight room as often as they do. If they didn't love what they were doing, they wouldn't have the drive to play at the NFL level.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100720/SPORTS05/7200369/1053/Sports05/Mike-Modano-Ill-decide-on-future-next-month

Straight from Modano himself...he'll decide his future over the next few weeks/EDIT - not before August 5th at the latest.

Article states that decision makers are waiting on Holland's EDIT - Modano's - sorry, not fully awake yet at the time decision and that's holding up Helm/Abdelkader contract's a bit, but that neither will be ignored/moved/traded or whatever for Modano. So no worries regarding that, nothing on their statuses have changed whatsoever in terms of worry or odds of playing somewhere else.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

August 5th at the earliest... :thumbdown:

It's not like anything has changed.

If you want to see if Modano is here or not that's one thing, but nothing has changed in regards to Abdelkader and Helm. There is absolutely zero indiciation that they will not be Red Wings next season.

And veterans trying to figure out if they are going to hang 'em up in any sport taking some time to figure it out isn't anything new. This is absolutely nothing compared to some drama queen decisions of retirement/free agency (i.e. Lebron James, Brett Favre). Not even close.

I think it's great that Modano isn't hurrying himself in making the decision. I wouldn't want him to sign and then a quarter-way into the season realizes that he doesn't really have the passion. By waiting until he starts skating, you can be sure that if he does sign (and I still think the only place he'd sign in the end is Detroit), it's because he wants to win.

I think it's great that Modano isn't hurrying himself in making the decision. I wouldn't want him to sign and then a quarter-way into the season realizes that he doesn't really have the passion. By waiting until he starts skating, you can be sure that if he does sign (and I still think the only place he'd sign in the end is Detroit), it's because he wants to win.

I was listening to that interview someone posted from the weekend. I really liked his honesty and candor with the situation. I believe him when he says that he has nothing to prove and he would just be playing for the love of the game. That's why I don't think he signs with the Sharks if he signs anywhere. WAY too much pressure in San Jose at the moment. Especially if he signs there. In my opinion, Detroit is the PERFECT fit for him. He can come here and become a fixture on the third line and enjoy playing with Hudler and Cleary or, if he gets a burr up his ass, he can battle Flip for second line minutes... thus pushing Flip. (personally... I think him coming here would be great for Flip)

If I were him, I'd stay very far away from the hornets nest that is San Jose. Of course... I am biased. :)

By the way... HE'S the one who brought up Detroit in the interview. Just sayin'.

Edited by Broken 16

TheHockeyNews

Just wondering: would Modano & Tampa be a match? Bolts have to fill out their bottom 2 lines & Mike's $ value fits their budget.

from twitter

it be funny if stevie swoops in and plucks modano lol

If it was anyone else i would be pissed but if yzerman/TB did it i would laugh so hard.

I check here everyday hoping to see something interesting load up rather than 'Red Wings Making Play for Modano.' I wouldn't mind having him, but right now I just really want to know who is playing for team this season and who isn't. Either way our Wings will be a force, but when the only thing to be excited about this off season (besides our epic draft) was Flip's brother, who may never play for us, and the return of Hudler... well what can I say? I understand that Kenny is the whip and he will keep us solid for years to come, and I also understand that an exciting off season is not necessarily a good one, but I must admit that I'm a bit jealous of all the excitement other fans are experiencing around the league.

I guess I should be thankful that Stevie is making some waves in Tampa because without that it would be even worse.

Ah s***, whatever... the more I think about it the more I like it. Modano needs to sign here for 1 year and give us hockey fans a crazy ride. I've ripped on him a lot recently, but I did see his last game in Dallas and if he can bring it like that for even just half the time he hits the ice we will surely dominate. This might sound really crazy (and please don't let this derail the thread), but I REALLY want to see Bertuzzi lift the cup and we only have two more shots at it. Say what you will about the guy but in my opinion he deserves a cup after all he's done for the sport and all the s*** he went through for the Moore accident. If Modano can help our team and my homie Bertuzzi out, I'm all for it - sign him TODAY.

...or August 5th. Haha these next couple weeks are going to be brutal.

I would'nt doubt if Helm and Abby are waiting to sign until after Modano. Holland knows how much they'll be paid, I am sure if they weren't happy they'd file for arbitration or be signing offers somewhere else (can they if they were given qualifying offers?) Anyhow, Helm & Abby will be in uniform next season, Abby will prolly start in a Griffins uni, but he'll be our injury call up. Last I read he would decide by the 1st, now it's the 5th? Sure is taking his time, but whatever...

Camp, right around the corner!!!

I would'nt doubt if Helm and Abby are waiting to sign until after Modano. Holland knows how much they'll be paid, I am sure if they weren't happy they'd file for arbitration or be signing offers somewhere else (can they if they were given qualifying offers?) Anyhow, Helm & Abby will be in uniform next season, Abby will prolly start in a Griffins uni, but he'll be our injury call up. Last I read he would decide by the 1st, now it's the 5th? Sure is taking his time, but whatever...

Camp, right around the corner!!!

Abby will not start the season in GR. Holland/Babcock is on record saying that he will be playing on the PK next season, and that we will be contending for the third line center position (if Modano isn't signed likely). I guarantee that Abby's new contract will not be two-way.

Guest mindfly

August 5th, eh? When are they gonna learn this guy ain't worth waiting for??? You have better things to do than kissing Modano's ass.

Modano is the only player available who can make the third line an efficient scoring threat and can match against any other team's top lines, too.

Modano is the only player available who can make the third line an efficient scoring threat and can match against any other team's top lines, too.

I think people might bring up that there are a few other viable options as well...

Eric Belanger

Mike Comrie

Brendan Morrison

Doug Weight

Correct me if any of these guys have been picked up. I know some have injury and consistency issues, but they've always shown themselves to be 40ish point guys. Personally, I'd prefer Modano. I'm just tossing a few other names out there.

August 5th, eh? When are they gonna learn this guy ain't worth waiting for??? You have better things to do than kissing Modano's ass.

Dumb. Nobody is kissing anybody's ass. Nobody is in a hurry except the fans. So lets drop the Modano talk and start looking for a plugger instead. Ooooooooooooo... fun times.

I think people might bring up that there are a few other viable options as well...

Eric Belanger

Mike Comrie

Brendan Morrison

Doug Weight

Correct me if any of these guys have been picked up. I know some have injury and consistency issues, but they've always shown themselves to be 40ish point guys. Personally, I'd prefer Modano. I'm just tossing a few other names out there.

I rather get a shut down guy if we do go after someone. I am still gonna dream of getting John Madden

The Red Wings probably aren't going to make any other major re-signings, Modano's status isn't changing anything regarding Abdelkader and Helm re-signing here, Modano isn't holding anything up. If he signs, great improvement to the team. If not, oh well and the roster is still solid. You may not want him on the team which is perfectly fine, but no need to make him out to be the bad guy in the situation when he clearly isn't.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

The Red Wings probably aren't going to make any other major re-signings, Modano's status isn't changing anything regarding Abdelkader and Helm re-signing here, Modano isn't holding anything up. If he signs, great improvement to the team. If not, oh well and the roster is still solid. You may not want him on the team which is perfectly fine, but no need to make him out to be the bad guy in the situation when he clearly isn't.

If Abs and Helm were UFAs then it'd be a little different.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I wonder if it would be possible to add Modano and Andy Sutton. He would be perfect for the 3rd D pair.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

* Mike Modano ($1.000m) / * Darren Helm ($0.850m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

* Andy Sutton ($2.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $0.050m

PAYROLL: $59.175m; BONUSES: $0.000m; CAP ROOM: $0.225m