• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

The Red Wings probably aren't going to make any other major re-signings, Modano's status isn't changing anything regarding Abdelkader and Helm re-signing here, Modano isn't holding anything up. If he signs, great improvement to the team. If not, oh well and the roster is still solid. You may not want him on the team which is perfectly fine, but no need to make him out to be the bad guy in the situation when he clearly isn't.

He's not worth waiting for. Let some other team have him, and we'll get down to business.

He's not worth waiting for. Let some other team have him, and we'll get down to business.

What business are we waiting to get down to? What are we missing out on? Holland isn't going to sign anyone anyway. It's Modano or nothing for forwards. (Of course, Helm and Abds are givens)

If you don't want Modano, cool. But he's not preventing anything else from happening this off-season. There's no other business to really attend to with player personnel that Modano is holding up.

What business are we waiting to get down to? What are we missing out on? Holland isn't going to sign anyone anyway. It's Modano or nothing for forwards. (Of course, Helm and Abds are givens)

:thumbup:

This is the main point, nicely stated. :clap:

I wonder if it would be possible to add Modano and Andy Sutton. He would be perfect for the 3rd D pair.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

* Mike Modano ($1.000m) / * Darren Helm ($0.850m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

* Andy Sutton ($2.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $0.050m

PAYROLL: $59.175m; BONUSES: $0.000m; CAP ROOM: $0.225m

I think your predicted salaries for Helm and Abby are too low. They will likely be signed for more than one year and around 1m each. Abby's last contract had a cap hit of 800k, and he'll likely get more of a raise than 50k. Helm has proved that he can (at least) be a productive fourth line center and Pk'er, so he should also command near 1m.

The whole "I've been wrong before" quote made me think, "When has he been wrong about situations like this?"

Then I remembered how he thought it was a no-brainer for Fabian Brunnstrom because he'd be coming to "Little Sweden" as he put it.

Ah well.

Those who don't think Modano is holding up the contracts of Helm and Abdelkader are being naive. Of course that's the holdup. If I were those guys I'd want want short term deals if this is how they're treated. Eaves and Miller should have been signed after those guys and Modano should be last if there's anything left.

I'd hat to lose a decade of Helm or Abby for Modano on his last legs.

Before anyone cries, yes I understand that both will sign contracts, they have no leverage NOW, but when UFA comes? How would you feel at work if your boss kept shoving you to the bottom of the pile? It's a real concern if your able to think beyond today.

Edited by Pucks

How would you feel at work if your boss kept shoving you to the bottom of the pile? It's a real concern if your able to think beyond today.

It's zero concern. There is no reason they should feel that way at all and there is zero reason to think they do and if they did we want them to leave because they would never make it in the NHL much less an ultra competitive team like the Red Wings roster.

Those who don't think Modano is holding up the contracts of Helm and Abdelkader are being naive. Of course that's the holdup. If I were those guys I'd want want short term deals if this is how they're treated. Eaves and Miller should have been signed after those guys and Modano should be last if there's anything left.

Before anyone cries, yes I understand that both will sign contracts, they have no leverage NOW, but when UFA comes? How would you feel at work if your boss kept shoving you to the bottom of the pile? It's a real concern if your able to think beyond today.

I tend to agree with some of this post. Helm (especially) and Abby would and should have been priority. Signing them shows that the organization appreciates their play and respects them instead of waiting around. Get them signed and Modano (or whomever) can have the chicken scratch.

I'm pretty sure Helm and Abdelkader realize that this is the nature of business sometimes and I highly doubt they feel like they are being shunned and probably realize the value that Modano can bring to the team if he his signed. They probably aren't going to care that badly down the line 4 or 5 years from now and think, "You know what, that bastard for not signing us before Modano when we're going to eventually be re-signed anyway."

Once again, Modano isn't sabatoging the Wings and once again, this is just something that fans in here are being too paranoid about and trying to make too much of a big deal out of.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

It's zero concern. There is no reason they should feel that way at all and there is zero reason to think they do and if they did we want them to leave because they would never make it in the NHL much less an ultra competitive team like the Red Wings roster.

Seriously?.... Helm is a NHL caliber 3rd line center right now, right now. He will be that or more his entire career in the NHL, no matter where he plays. Abdelkader hasn't played a full year yet but he looks NHL caliber to me.

It's a concern.

Edited by Pucks

Seriously?.... Helm is a NHL caliber 3rd line center right now, right now. He will be that or more his entire career in the NHL, no matter where he plays. Abdelkader hasn't played a full year yet but he looks NHL caliber to me.

It's a concern.

When they are going to be re-signed regardless, no it isn't.

I'm pretty sure Helm and Abdelkader realize that this is the nature of business sometimes and I highly doubt they are being shunned and probably realize the value that Modano can bring to the team if he his signed.

Once again, Modano isn't sabatoging the Wings and once again, this is just something that fans in here are being too paranoid about and trying to make too much of a big deal out of.

I didn't say Modano was sabotaging the Wings, It's Kenny that's trying to fill holes we don't have. He's going to wonder why his next contract discussion with Helm

doesn't go so well.

Edited by Pucks

I didn't say Modano was sabotaging the Wings, It's Kenny that's trying to fill holes we don't have. He's going to wonder why his next contract discussion with Helm

doesn't go so well.

You don't know this. Nobody does. This is what, 3, 4, 5 years down the road? Helm's probably not going to care as badly as you are trying to imply. You are being too paranoid.

Yeah it is. Look I can do it too. You post too much by the way, no need to be so controlling. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the subjects of this board.

It's a concern.

How does going after the top American goal scorer who while not being peak of his career is still very good exactly invalidate any of that or that they are the future of those roles on our team?

Yeah it is. Look I can do it too. You post too much by the way, no need to be so controlling. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the subjects of this board.

Where did I say or imply that people aren't entitled to an opinion? Not my fault if you don't like it.

I think the contention is that they are going to hold it against us and leave later. I totally do not agree with that and as I said if they did I want them gone now because they aren't NHL mind even if they are NHL skill. But just clarifying the point.

doesn't go so well.

Where do you get that Kenny thinks he's "filling a hole" at all? I think Modano's just a chance to pick up a primo player for personal reasons (Detroit connection) that teams don't normally get. I've never once heard anyone say it's a "hole."

I think the contention is that they are going to hold it against us and leave later. I totally do not agree with that and as I said if they did I want them gone now because they aren't NHL mind even if they are NHL skill. But just clarifying the point.

Oh I know what he meant, and it's definitely possible, but slim/none that it will happen probably. It's more crazy talk/paranoid thinking about that and it really isn't worth worrying about.