• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Modano's +/- last three seasons were -6, -13, -11...is that what the Wings want to add? Holland says they have done well with veterans in the past, but our team is full of experienced guys who have all been to the big dance once or twice. All I see Mike adding might be increased ticket sales with the Michigan native thing.

I don't see Holland as having ever signed a player for ticket sales, other then selling tickets by winning. So there is no reason to believe Holland is doing this for any reason but that his assessment is like a lot of us who think signing Modano for 1.25 mil would be a coup.

1 out of 28 is not bad=)

Meatloaf's sequel song? You want me, you're gold fish, you drive a panda, ... but one out of 28 aint bad...

Modano's +/- last three seasons were -6, -13, -11...is that what the Wings want to add? Holland says they have done well with veterans in the past, but our team is full of experienced guys who have all been to the big dance once or twice. All I see Mike adding might be increased ticket sales with the Michigan native thing.

Look at his team stats and it is not really that bad and its not really fair to compare his +/- to another teams. Look at Dallas over all and they are a MINUS team, they had two guys total that were above a +3 the Wings had seven. The Wings were a +13 in goal differential and the Stars were a -17, it makes a huge difference to play on a team that scores 13 more goals than its opponents rather than one that gives up 17 more goals than its opponents. That 30 goal difference will really impact any player's plus/minus. And even on a much better goal differential team a guy like Brad Stuart was a -12 (twice the +/- of Modano - FYI I wouldn't normally compare a forward and defensive player's +/- but am using it here to show how many variables alter that stat rather than to actually compare the two) last year but I'd say he was still a good addition.

Look at his team stats and it is not really that bad and its not really fair to compare his +/- to another teams. Look at Dallas over all and they are a MINUS team, they had two guys total that were above a +3 the Wings had seven. The Wings were a +13 in goal differential and the Stars were a -17, it makes a huge difference to play on a team that scores 13 more goals than its opponents rather than one that gives up 17 more goals than its opponents. That 30 goal difference will really impact any player's plus/minus. And even on a much better goal differential team a guy like Brad Stuart was a -12 (twice the +/- of Modano - FYI I wouldn't normally compare a forward and defensive player's +/- but am using it here to show how many variables alter that stat rather than to actually compare the two) last year but I'd say he was still a good addition.

Especially playing on our third line where he's going to not have to play quite as much but is going to be playing other teams lesser defensemen but with some pretty talented wings. We could use some legit scoring on our deeper lines, I don't see how anyone could say we shouldn't be pursuing that with an opportunity like this.

Especially playing on our third line where he's going to not have to play quite as much but is going to be playing other teams lesser defensemen but with some pretty talented wings. We could use some legit scoring on our deeper lines, I don't see how anyone could say we shouldn't be pursuing that with an opportunity like this.

Agreed, even on a pretty bad Dallas team last year he was a .58 ppg player.

I'm in the minority on MO. Not because I don't like him or think he is too old but because the Wings likely have some contracts coming off the books after this season and that 1 to 1.5M would go a long way towards bringing a player into the fold at the trade deadline in case of injury or if there is someone available they'd like long-term.

I'm in the minority on MO. Not because I don't like him or think he is too old but because the Wings likely have some contracts coming off the books after this season and that 1 to 1.5M would go a long way towards bringing a player into the fold at the trade deadline in case of injury or if there is someone available they'd like long-term.

I think that is a legitimate argument. I personally think the benefit is worth the risk but understand your point. Its the not wanting him because he is no longer a superstar or that he was a -6 last year that I don't get.

What you say is reasonable. You never know what'll happen, you have to roll the dice that whatever you do works out better then what could happen in other scenarios. But the odds getting a player like him helping us over keeping options open to see what happens seems worth it to me. We've picked up guys at the trade deadline who stayed, but we've picked up guys like Clark who left anyway. Modano's a good player.

I think that is a legitimate argument. I personally think the benefit is worth the risk but understand your point. Its the not wanting him because he is no longer a superstar or that he was a -6 last year that I don't get.

I'm with you in wanting Modano, but I agree this is a lot better argument then that Helm &/or Abby are going to be mad at us for signing him.

I'm with you in wanting Modano, but I agree this is a lot better argument then that Helm &/or Abby are going to be mad at us for signing him.

I know, it cracks me up, you'd think it was junior high and who is your best best friend. :lol:

No time for nostalgia!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=5403991

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Burnside

No time for nostalgia

It will be interesting to see how the Mike Modano saga plays out. Will he retire? Will he go "home" to Michigan and give it one last shot with the Red Wings? (Detroit coach Mike Babcock said publicly he thinks it's a given Modano will be a Red Wing come October.)

To us, this is where nostalgia runs smack dab into reality.

Modano missed 23 games to injury last season while scoring 14 times from a mostly third-line position on the Dallas Stars. He averaged 14:18 a night in ice time and scored just three times on the power play. Modano scored just 15 times in 2008-09 and posted only 12 power-play goals over the past three seasons.

We're not sure exactly how he fits into the Wings' plans to rebound from a trying, injury-plagued 2009-10 campaign that saw them fall in the second round to San Jose.

It's not an issue of whether Modano has the will to lace 'em up in September or October; but what is his will to play out an entire season? That seemed to be an issue in Dallas the past couple of seasons and explains in part why the Stars made the choice to walk away from a player who has been the face of the franchise for two decades.

If we were Wings GM Ken Holland, we'd take a run at Bill Guerin or Paul Kariya to add veteran scoring punch and give one of your young prospects a shot at centering the third line. Less nostalgic, perhaps; but, in the long run, we're guessing it would be a more productive move with less potential for dressing-room headaches.

Outside I must :)

If Billy Guerin can't be a 30 goal scorer with Sidney Crosby as his center then he isn't going to do s*** here on the third line.

I'm thinking that Helm and Abby probably grew up watching hockey and will not be offended in the least that their contracts are taking a few weeks longer considering that they might get the chance to play with Mike Modano.

The guy's pretty famous. It would be very cool to say that they played with him.

Right now it's not "Do we play in Detroit?" it's "Do we play with Modano?"

If their jobs were on the line, then I could see some trepidation.

I'm thinking that Helm and Abby probably grew up watching hockey and will not be offended in the least that their contracts are taking a few weeks longer considering that they might get the chance to play with Mike Modano.

The last article where Holland talked about Helm and Abds, I got the impression that it was actually them (Helm and Abds) who wanted to hold off on signing pending on Modano because if Modano signs I think they both want 1 year deals, otherwise 2+. I think Holland would have signed them by now if it was up to him.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Mikey just texted me and said you guys are all assholes.

esteef

I have to wait until August to decide whether or not my feelings are hurt. Babcock has a gut feeling that I will not be offended by it. But I need time to think about it.

Guest mjtm77

Also I just wanted to point out that the 3rd line is going to be a scoring line this year with Hudler whether it's Modano, Helm, Abdelkader or whoever else. Last year it was a AHL line. Everybody's numbers are going to be a lot better this season with a healthy team.

Now I really am going outside. I don't want to end up with 20,000 posts on a message board, that's just all kinds of sad. No offense.

:thumbup:

why are people assuming that if modano signs with detroit he will automatically get more ice time than Helm or Abby? i understand that he will be penciled in at 3rd line center but last time i checked everyone had to earn their spot on the roster. if helm and abby outwork and outplay modano babs will give them more ice time, you think that holland isnt constantly looking for things to make the team better? competition is a very good tool that holland and babs can use to get guys to give 110% on every shift, and make sure that they will be playing in the next game. who knows maybe helm, abby, miller, draper, and eaves beat him out and modano becomes the 14th forward.

why are people assuming that if modano signs with detroit he will automatically get more ice time than Helm or Abby? i understand that he will be penciled in at 3rd line center but last time i checked everyone had to earn their spot on the roster. if helm and abby outwork and outplay modano babs will give them more ice time, you think that holland isnt constantly looking for things to make the team better? competition is a very good tool that holland and babs can use to get guys to give 110% on every shift, and make sure that they will be playing in the next game. who knows maybe helm, abby, miller, draper, and eaves beat him out and modano becomes the 14th forward.

yes and if everyone outplays modano and he ends up in the press box the 1.25M cap hit and the signing looks awful ala J Will. and if this is the case signing isn't worth it IMO because there is a really good chance this scenario could happen.