• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20100720/SPORTS05/7200369/1053/Sports05/Mike-Modano-Ill-decide-on-future-next-month

That article enforces the thought process I was trying to convey before all the clones derailed the thread. Those who think Helm and Abby are excited about Modano on this team are just being silly. Mike Modano will cost them money in their pockets, that's a fact. Being removed from a scoring line to get scrap minutes on the 4th plus PK. Those guys don't strike me as stupid, and neither are their agents. They have no leverage now being RFA's except to take a short term deal if Modano signs, and that's exactly what they're doing. We'd be much better off telling Modano to piss off and signing both those young guys to longer deals.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink"

http://www.freep.com/article/20100720/SPORTS05/7200369/1053/Sports05/Mike-Modano-Ill-decide-on-future-next-month

That article enforces the thought process I was trying to convey before all the clones derailed the thread. Those who think Helm and Abby are excited about Modano on this team are just being silly. Mike Modano will cost them money in their pockets, that's a fact. Being removed from a scoring line to get scrap minutes on the 4th plus PK. Those guys don't strike me as stupid, and neither are their agents. They have no leverage now being RFA's except to take a short term deal if Modano signs, and that's exactly what they're doing. We'd be much better off telling Modano to piss off and signing both those young guys to longer deals.

Well said, Ken. :thumbup:

makes a lot of sense and I agree. They have every right to be pissed/annoyed at this madonna saga. If he is here he will take away their ice time.

I really have to question kenny's judgement on this one.

"oh but we won the cup two years ago and have gotten 100 points 10 straight years" figure i would add this line before the inevitable chimes in...

We'd be much better off telling Modano to piss off and signing both those young guys to longer deals.

Would WE (the team) be better off or would Helm and Abds? Of course they don't want Modano to sign, but they're not going to throw a hissy fit like you guys are about it. I'm sure they both want first line minutes and I'm sure they'd love for the Wings to dump all of our top 6, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. They're RFA for the next few years, so they're both going to be on our team for a long time whether we sign Modano or not. Helm and Abds are probably limiting the ice time of other players who aren't happy with it, so maybe we should just tell Helm and Abds to "piss off".

You guys keep calling Modano a prima donna, but you're all the ones acting like unreasonable PMSing drama queens.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Would WE (the team) be better off or would Helm and Abds? Of course they don't want Modano to sign, but they're not going to throw a hissy fit like you guys are about it. I'm sure they both want first line minutes and I'm sure they'd love for the Wings to dump all of our top 6, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. They're both going to be on our team for a long time whether we sign Modano or not. Helm and Abds are probably limiting the ice time of other players who don't like him, maybe we should just tell them to piss off.

You guys keep calling Modano a prima donna, but you're all the ones acting like unreasonable PMSing drama queens.

who's to say that helm and abby may want to test the FA market after these deals are up because of the way holland has handled them. they are being treated like cast away's for someone who is not even needed on this team.

who's to say that helm and abby may want to test the FA market after these deals are up because of the way holland has handled them. they are being treated like cast away's for someone who is not even needed on this team.

who's to say that chelios won't come back at league minimum and lace 'em up as a forward and center the third line and score 80 points, all the while carrying helm and abby on his back?

in memory of sirdrake :(

ROUND AND ROUND

why not just trust Holland and stop making it sound like after all these years all of a sudden he doesn't know what he's doing. I'm sure ultimately he will not screw up the chance to sign Helm and Abby to long term deals. Even if they take a year this year and sign the big one next. They know what they are doing guys more so then any of us.

:ninja: Yeah, like when we pushed that one new kid to the fourth line in 2001-2002 in favour of some old folks like Hull and Luc. What was that kid's name? Oh, yeah. Datsyuk. Yeah, he never forgot that. :ninja:

Sarcasm mode off.

Helm and Abby have worked hard to make the team, and make the team they will. No one is promised anything. A contract does not mean that you can't be traded or that you won't be sitting in the press box. Only training camp can decide that.

If they spend one single year at the beginning of their careers on the fourth line, is this going to stunt them any? I say no. If they are better than Modano, then they will rise to the third line. If not, then they stay on the fourth.

Of course they want to push up in the line-up. All players want to be at the top. This is just one more runner to pass in the race. Competition is a good thing.

If we get Modano, great. If not, great. Either way, we have enough forwards to cover the positions. Adding Modano only means that the competition goes higher.

Because they're RFAs for the next few years. Learn how the league works before you *****.

Plus, they're not even being treated like cast aways. They're the one who have chosen not to sign yet. Stop acting like a child looking for excuses because you don't want Modano here. Modano signing will have no effect on how long Helm and Abds are with us.

Because they're RFAs for the next few years. Learn how the league works before you *****.

Plus, they're not even being treated like cast aways. They're the one who have chosen not to sign yet. Stop acting like a child looking for excuses because you don't want Modano here. Modano signing will have no effect on how long Helm and Abds are with us.

im not 100% sure how the RFA thing works but if we sign modano they will sign 1 year deals. Would they not then become UFA's after this season?

Pretty much any player known to man tests the free agency market at some point in their careers anyway.

Again, if you don't want Modano on the team, cool, but this is nothing but paranoia from fans in here. Modano's status is probably going to have little/no impact on the futures and length of Helm and Abdelkader's careers in Detroit, so it is pointless to obsessively worry about it, or even just worry about it.

The two of them are probably smart enough to figure out that this is a business as well and I highly doubt they feel slighten when they have been given word and guarantees that they will be back and Modano isn't going to be the reason of them not being in the lineup.

You have to either be 27 or have played 7 years in the league to be a UFA. It has nothing to do with how many deals you've signed.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlfreeagents/a/nhl_free_agents.htm

Now for my post to get negged in 3...2...1...

Edited by Z and D for the C

You have to either be 27 or have played 7 years in the league to be a UFA. It has nothing to do with how many deals you've signed.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlfreeagents/a/nhl_free_agents.htm

Now for my post to get negged in 3...2...1...

well thanks for clarifying that, I was just going by how eaves and miller were becoming UFA's after this season but i realized they will both be 27 by next off season.

Hey guys, sorry to bring this thread back up from page three, but I feel what I am about to say doesn't warrant it's own thread. My buddy at work (I know here we go with he said she said stuff, thats why I didn't start a new thread) anyhow, his brother is very good friends with Lanny Wadkins the professional golfer, who he said lives in Dallas and is very good friends with Modano (you know where this is going.) Anyway, yes, according to his brother, Wadkins told him that Modano said he is indeed signing with Detroit, they are just ironing out the details. I have no reason to not believe my buddy, he's been right on several occasions. That being said, take this as you may, but he hasnt been wrong before (not that he is psychic) but knows some folks, who know folks. (He knew Chelios was being traded here, and Hatcher signing here to name a couple.)

But, as this is all just he said, that he said, that he said, so.... Just thought maybe if there is substance to this, I should mention it... (sorry again to drum up this older thread.)

I can't believe all the people worrying about Helm and Abdelkader. It's a given they will return. They are negotiating but it's generally felt that they'll sign for whatever Holland wants to give them. But they have to try and get the best they can, which is why it's taking so long.

4th line, 3rd or even 1st, it doesn't matter. They will be back and they will play what they are given. They could potentially more than fifteen years of NHL hockey ahead of them, one season on the fourth line won't hurt them.

I can't believe all the people worrying about Helm and Abdelkader. It's a given they will return. They are negotiating but it's generally felt that they'll sign for whatever Holland wants to give them. But they have to try and get the best they can, which is why it's taking so long.

4th line, 3rd or even 1st, it doesn't matter. They will be back and they will play what they are given. They could potentially more than fifteen years of NHL hockey ahead of them, one season on the fourth line won't hurt them.

Especially if the Wings stay healthy. They will get plenty of quality ice time if the Wings have Modano and can roll four lines for a majority of the season.

Hey guys, sorry to bring this thread back up from page three, but I feel what I am about to say doesn't warrant it's own thread. My buddy at work (I know here we go with he said she said stuff, thats why I didn't start a new thread) anyhow, his brother is very good friends with Lanny Wadkins the professional golfer, who he said lives in Dallas and is very good friends with Modano (you know where this is going.) Anyway, yes, according to his brother, Wadkins told him that Modano said he is indeed signing with Detroit, they are just ironing out the details. I have no reason to not believe my buddy, he's been right on several occasions. That being said, take this as you may, but he hasnt been wrong before (not that he is psychic) but knows some folks, who know folks. (He knew Chelios was being traded here, and Hatcher signing here to name a couple.)

But, as this is all just he said, that he said, that he said, so.... Just thought maybe if there is substance to this, I should mention it... (sorry again to drum up this older thread.)

I hope this is true, we will have the most lethal top 9 in the NHL. Than a bottom line of Abdelkader, Helm, and Eaves. That leaves us with Miller, Ritola, and Drapes left over. We would have to trade 2 (probably Miller and Ritola) and carry Draper as out 13th forward. If Modano signs we will be back to one of the top scoring teams in the NHL again.

I've been thinking I'd like to ice Downey-Abdelkader-Eaves with Ericsson and Sutton.

esteef

But where would Mr. Helm go? It would be dumb to scratch a potential 3rd line center for an enforcer. If we have an injured forward I would welcome Downey with open arms, and the chances of 1 out of our 12 forwards being injured at any point in the season are pretty good anyways.

Intersting article from mlive.

Take this rumor with a 50-lb bag of Michigan rock salt: Pro Sports Blogging's Travis Currie claims that an informed source has confirmed that Mike Modano will sign with the Red Wings this week:

August 1, Pro Sports Blogging: I have it from a source very close to the team and Mike Modano that he will announce it in the next week or so when he returns from his trip to Scotland. It will be a one year deal with the dollar figure not exceeding more than a million dollars.

I don't know what to make of this report, so I asked Paul Kukla of Kukla's Korner to check around, and he stated that ESPN's EJ Hradek refuted the rumor, insisting that a) Yes, Modano's on vacation in Europe, but b) He won't make his decision until after he returns to the U.S. and begins skating again--and Modano's not going to take to the ice until August 5th.

In any case, it bears noting that NHL.com will posit its Red Wings off-season report on August 12th, and by that time the Wings may very well not only have a decision from Modano, but also have re-signed Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, and a presumptive #6 defenseman.