• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#361 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

If the Wings management doesn't want to go that route, there's nothing I can really say. I still disagree with the approach of bringing in Modano; it seems too much like the Hawks approach of selling out the future.

Maybe I missed it, but did this many people object when we resigned Todd Bertuzzi and say this is move is going to hurt our young players?

#362 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Maybe I missed it, but did this many people object when we resigned Todd Bertuzzi and say this is move is going to hurt our young players?

Without several hours of digging through the boards to get numbers, I can't say for sure how the magnitude differs, but I recall quite a backlash both here an on the HF boards when the new Bertuzzi contract was announced. I was one of the detractors; I still think two-year contracts for both of Bertuzzi and Holmstrom was too much. However, it's done, so the debate has died down. The Modano situation still isn't settled, so debate goes on.

#363 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

Without several hours of digging through the boards to get numbers, I can't say for sure how the magnitude differs, but I recall quite a backlash both here an on the HF boards when the new Bertuzzi contract was announced. I was one of the detractors; I still think two-year contracts for both of Bertuzzi and Holmstrom was too much. However, it's done, so the debate has died down. The Modano situation still isn't settled, so debate goes on.

Agree with this.

Would've preferred Holmstrom on a 1 year deal, but the 2nd year brought down the cap figure to a VERY reasonable sum. As for Bertuzzi, decent value, but again in a perfect world he gets a 1 year deal.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#364 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

oh look, we just signed Eaves... now we have him for a few more years so some people can stop bitching about losing "great young players"... I feel as if the management for the Red Wings have a plan and know more about the situation then all of us... So, when they sign Modano, it will do nothing but help this team make a long playoff run... It is going to be a great season

Edited by cupforwings, 07 July 2010 - 12:08 PM.

#365 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

You mean, the Red Wings management actually has a plan and they even know more than us?!?! No way. Lies.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#366 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

You mean, the Red Wings management actually has a plan and they even know more than us?!?! No way. Lies.

I know!!! it is hard to believe, but, they might actually know what they are talking about! who would have thought...

#367 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

You mean if he wasn't nearly 40 and susceptible to injuries?

One of those injuries was an appendectomy. FYI. Aussie, you're one of my favourite LGWers but I think your zeal for young players/prospects is making you crazy in this case.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#368 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

One of those injuries was an appendectomy. FYI. Aussie, you're one of my favourite LGWers but I think your zeal for young players/prospects is making you crazy in this case.

Fair enough mate. But let me tell you, if you think I look crazy now, wait until we re-sign Draper and potentially risk losing MURSAK!!! :P

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#369 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

Fair enough mate. But let me tell you, if you think I look crazy now, wait until we re-sign Draper and potentially risk losing MURSAK!!! :P

Lets hope that day doesn't come.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#370 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

Aussie and I get into it over prospects from time to time, but I see where he's coming from with his concern here. However, I think they'll get a deal done for an amount that won't hold up the process too much. The fact that we just signed two guys we didn't develop to great deals and we're still pursuing Modano leads me to believe that when it all shakes down, everything will be fine. If I thought it would seriously hurt our ability to keep young guys in the fold, I'd be totally against it too, but I think they'll find a good number, and I think in turn Modano will end up looking like a HUGE bargain by seasons end.

He's not the Modano of old, but with a descent role, some power play time and the quality of the guys around him, I think Modano could easily put up 40 if not 50 points, including 20 goals. If we can get that and legendary veteran presence in the locker room for a million or less, it's a great deal. On top of that, he's a hometown guy who would be giving us the rights to his "swan song," one that caps off one of the greatest hockey careers from an American player. You better believe there would be an element of "Let's send Mike Modano out a champion!"

There's just far too much I like about this deal, especially considering I've been saying for years that I'd love to see Modano finish his career as a Wing if he were to leave the Stars. If you're a single-team guy for most of your career and you're going to go to another team, there's no more fitting place to end than your hometown team. That's the only way you make a move and don't taint the "loyalty" element of your career.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#371 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

No because Bert is like 34 and we needed a top 6 capable player and some size.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#372 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

You had a ton of people object to the Bertuzzi signing simply because of the common perception of Todd Bertuzzi's game, which may consist of frustrating turnovers and inconsistent physical play. He's still labeled as a "lazy defensive player".

#373 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

This hit the Yahoo wires a while ago, maybe it helps some here see what the emerging plan is for Modano SHOULD he sign.

Main points of article:

*Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Detroit Red Wings.

*The Red Wings made it clear he would be a valuable part of their 2010-11 roster. He spent a lot of time playing left wing the last couple years in Dallas, but Holland said Modano would be the third-line center with the Wings.

*The Wings are expected to offer Modano close to a $1 million for next season. After signing Drew Miller to a one-year deal worth $650,000 Tuesday, they now have 19 players signed for roughly $55 million. The salary cap next season is $59.4 million.

*So, if they do sign Modano, they would have $3.4 million left to sign restricted free agents Patrick Eaves, Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm. Helm and Abdelkader would presumably battle for the fourth-line center position.

Full article:
http://news.yahoo.co...troitnws_ts3053

Oops, just noticed this also posted at the Detroit News. Didn't think to see who wrote it on Yahoo. If you all knew this already sorry..

Edited by Jersey Wing, 07 July 2010 - 01:20 PM.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#374 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

I don't even know what to think about this...I mean I don't really want him to not be a Star in a lot of ways he should just retire. On the other hand it wouldn't be the first time we did something like this and successfully. I guess I'll wait to see what the Wings officially pull out of their sleeves before I make a judgement.

Posted Image

#375 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

wings cant afford him people! after signing eaves we have 3 roster spots left .. two forwards and one dman, assuming we sign abby and helm and bring in a 6/7TH dman... our roster isfull...so unless you want to lose abby or helm for... MODANO... it wont work!
To whom much is given, much is expected

#376 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

wings cant afford him people! after signing eaves we have 3 roster spots left .. two forwards and one dman, assuming we sign abby and helm and bring in a 6/7TH dman... our roster isfull...so unless you want to lose abby or helm for... MODANO... it wont work!

it will more likely be miller/ritola that we will lose, and this discussion has been going on for a while now so idk if you read any of it
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#377 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

Just because we re-signed Miller doesn't mean he cracks the lineup as much as he did last year especially because of the injuries. With the addition of Modano we have SICK depth with the prospects of calling up Miller, Ritola (possibly waived), Drapes (on occasion). I say that makes us that much better. Get it done Kenny! And I feel like it will in the next few days here.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#378 po-GoWings

po-GoWings

6:00ATOI Antagonizer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

mike modano i'd like to give a shot i think he wont be as lazy as bertuzzi.

#379 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

Right, so Detroit just brought him to Detroit to watch a ball game then?

Also:

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)
* Mike Modano ($1.500m) /* Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / * Darren Helm ($0.850m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)
Drew Miller ($0.650m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
* Jay Mckee ($1.000m)Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
* Derek Meech ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 25; CAP: $59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $0.050m
PAYROLL: $60.492m; BONUSES: $0.000m; CAP ROOM: $-1.092m

Detroit would be 1M over the cap. Holland has said he'd like to leave 500k in case of injuries.In which case Meech would be moved, Abdlekader would start the season in Grand Rapids, and Miller/Ritola would be moved. Which is what we all know and have talked about here since this Modano rumor came up.

Edited by rick zombo, 07 July 2010 - 02:01 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#380 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

you put modano on d?
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden