• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#521 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

26 pages of discussion about Mike Modano? Seriously?

It's been a slow offseason for Red Wings fans, lol...

#522 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

I would thumb through... LGW = off topic paradise.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#523 BUHdactyl

BUHdactyl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Your posts are being minus'd because by not wanting to sign Modano you basically admit you don't realize how important depth is because Modano would be an incredible depth signing. Without Modano our bottom 6 is average, with Modano it's one of the best in the league. Combine that with one of the better top sixes in the league and you're looking at making a really deep run in the playoffs. Like I said before, we won in 08 because of our depth. We were out in the second round this year because we had none.

If you are concerned with depth we have a gaping hole in our defense that needs attention and I'm not sold on Smith just yet. If you just want a Modano jersey with a funny number on the back keep clicking the minuses on posts that suggest anything other than Modano is God.

Losing prospects (Ritola), young players (Miller), or much needed NHL ice time (Abdelkader) to sign a washed-up NHL legend for ONE season is not a depth move. He was just offered a contract by the team he watched as a kid... I don't know about you, but if I still had passion for the game I wouldn't hesitate, let alone drag my toes for what seems like an eternity to make that decision. The fact that he hasn't signed a contract yet makes me question whether or not he still has the hunger. Dallas dropped him like a bag of s***, and for them to do that to their legendary player - their Yzerman, is pretty unsettling. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I'm sure he's got something left in the tank but I'm not comfortable with Abdelkader wasting another year in the AHL or Ritola being waived just to find out exactly what that something is.

I was on the Modano bandwagon at first but his whole thing has become a terrible joke and I'm over it. There's no denying he was a force back in the day, but I think most of us are giving 2010 Modano just a little too much credit.

#524 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

If you are concerned with depth we have a gaping hole in our defense that needs attention and I'm not sold on Smith just yet. If you just want a Modano jersey with a funny number on the back keep clicking the minuses on posts that suggest anything other than Modano is God.

Losing prospects (Ritola), young players (Miller), or much needed NHL ice time (Abdelkader) to sign a washed-up NHL legend for ONE season is not a depth move. He was just offered a contract by the team he watched as a kid... I don't know about you, but if I still had passion for the game I wouldn't hesitate, let alone drag my toes for what seems like an eternity to make that decision. The fact that he hasn't signed a contract yet makes me question whether or not he still has the hunger. Dallas dropped him like a bag of s***, and for them to do that to their legendary player - their Yzerman, is pretty unsettling. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I'm sure he's got something left in the tank but I'm not comfortable with Abdelkader wasting another year in the AHL or Ritola being waived just to find out exactly what that something is.

I think you're harping on the guy a little too much. Did it eve occur to you that he didn't want to rush into this decision because he MIGHT not have that passion and he doesn't want the Red Wings to give him a contract if he's not going to honor it properly. He could just take the contract they offered the quit working half-way through the season. Modano seems to wanna make sure he wants to play hockey period - I don't think it's specifically geared toward the Red Wings.

If losing Ritola to have one of the best Top 9 group of forwards in the league has to happen, then I'd accept it. Maybe Ritola could pan out to be a solid 3rd liner for a few years, but I don't see it. He didn't do much to impress in the AHL during his 3 seasons, and I don't see him blowing up. I could be wrong, and if I am I'll eat crow. If we were losing someone like Tatar or Mursak then I'd be 100% against it, but to me Ritola just isn't that impressive.

If Modano can put up a 40-50 point season while playing on the 3rd line for around 1 million then it's worth it, IMO. And yes, I think 40 points is realistic. He out up 30 points in 59 games last season playing with the likes of Barch and Petersen.

Edited by Jesusberg, 09 July 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#525 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

At first, my sentiments were all for Modano joining the Wings. If he does eventually sign, then I'll embrace it because I love the Wings that much; but I'm completely over the whole idea at this point.

The Wild and Sharks made contact with him today and now he's entertaining the idea of going to either team and will be visiting with them? Actually reading in print that his presence would essentially result in Abdelkader spending another year in Grand Rapids sort of cements the fact that I'd rather have a 3rd line of Hudler / Abdelkader / Cleary than one with Modano at center.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#526 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

At first, my sentiments were all for Modano joining the Wings. If he does eventually sign, then I'll embrace it because I love the Wings that much; but I'm completely over the whole idea at this point.

The Wild and Sharks made contact with him today and now he's entertaining the idea of going to either team and will be visiting with them? Actually reading in print that his presence would essentially result in Abdelkader spending another year in Grand Rapids sort of cements the fact that I'd rather have a 3rd line of Hudler / Abdelkader / Cleary than one with Modano at center.

I agree. Looks like Modano would like to make a kind of drama out of it. Just pass now. It is not like we desperately need him.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#527 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

Every now and again in this thread you hear about how Modano is a ****** or something like that. Can anybody go into details on what gave them that impression?

#528 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

I was on the Modano bandwagon at first but his whole thing has become a terrible joke and I'm over it. There's no denying he was a force back in the day, but I think most of us are giving 2010 Modano just a little too much credit.

Great post. :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#529 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

he needs to hurry up and make up his mind, if it's taking this long and he's questioning whether he even wants to play how can we trust that he's going to give his all if he decides to play
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#530 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:23 AM

Definately not alone. Theres quite a few of us who don't want him here.

We just keep quiet because we keep having our posts minused ;)

This is why I loathe the +/- system here.

If there's a feature that actually hinders the one thing that this board if for - discussion - then I say ditch it.

But anyways, I do want Modano, although I'm not as excited about it as I initially was. I think having a third line that can score a bit like in the '08 and '09 seasons would make us much more competitive. And in terms of gritty players, I don't see a whole lot of particularly attractive third/fourth line options.

#531 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

Why should the man not be able to talk to other teams and entertain other offers? It's his life, his family he has to move around, his income. If he get s a $2m offer from someone else, thats a hell of a lot different than a $1m yr, especially since it's his last year or two.

I hope he looks at those other offers, and I hope he decides on Detroit.

Look at the injuries we had last year and had to depend on a hot streak by Todd Bertuzzi of all people.

#532 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:33 AM

Look at the injuries we had last year and had to depend on a hot streak by Todd Bertuzzi of all people.

I thought about a thread where we could maybe guesstimate who would get injured and for how many games. Bad juju?

#533 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:17 AM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Posted Image

#534 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:11 AM

Every now and again in this thread you hear about how Modano is a ****** or something like that. Can anybody go into details on what gave them that impression?

The only way he becomes a ****** in my mind, is if he signs somewhere else. Why? Because had he not said its Detroit or retirement then there wouldn't be that sentiment, but since he said that and if he winds up in Minnesota or San Jose, then most of the fans would feel stabbed. Not that he has to sign here, it is his life and decision, but then he shouldn't say what he said about this being the only place he'd play...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#535 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

If you met the guy in person, you'd know. Grade A douchebag to say the least.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#536 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Have you met him?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#537 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

Can't believe all people who are high on abdelkader, he clearly doesn't have the offensive upside and will at best be a 3rd line GRINDER.. Hudler won't get any 60pts when abdelkader is his center :/

#538 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

I could take him or leave him at this stage. There's benefits both ways, but the longer it drags on, especially after the enthusiastic move that the Wings brass made for him, the less I'm convinced.

#539 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Can't believe all people who are high on abdelkader, he clearly doesn't have the offensive upside and will at best be a 3rd line GRINDER.. Hudler won't get any 60pts when abdelkader is his center :/

Abdelkader hasn't really been allowed to play his offensive game yet. There's no doubt in my mind that if given the chance, Abdelkader could be at least a 2nd line scorer. I don't want him to play in the AHL, but it'd be nice to have Modano.

If he truly is meeting with other teams now, I think it's time to move on. We can always trade for someone later in the season to fill a 3rd line scoring role if we need to. If Modano signs, then fine, but I'm no longer as excited as I was. Maybe that'll change if he signs.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#540 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

http://blog.mlive.co...ot_pursuin.html

Wild GM claims he's not pursuing Mike Modano for nostaliga's sake; Modano may have called Sharks; Red Wings' contractual hands tied by Modano's indecision

July 10, Mercury News: A Sharks source confirms the team indeed has had contact with free agent Mike Modano, but wont say which side made the initial phone call.

Modano listed the Sharks and Minnesota Wild as the teams that reached out to him this week. The Detroit Red Wings reportedly are also interested.

And the Dallas News's Mike Heika states the obvious about Modano's possible move to San Jose:

July 10, Dallas News: This will be interesting. Modano said the other day that the comment that it was Detroit or nothing was probably too strongly worded. He could talk to the Wild and the Sharks in the next few days. I do know that being in California would be helpful for his personal life.

We'll see.

He still has to decide if he wants to play next year before he can do anything else, so this could take a while before a decision is made.

Therein lies the problem. The longer Modano takes to make up his mind, the longer Ken Holland has to wait to lock up Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader to long-term deals, and the same's true for Holland's decision as to whether the team will simply re-sign Derek Meech to compete with Jakub Kindl and Doug Janik for the #6/7 spot on defense, or whether the team wants to pursue an unrestricted free agent defenseman.

I don't like this situation at all... Modano Primadona
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan